Windows XP Setup w/o id information

Glenn9999

I'm sure I'm not looking for the right strings in searching for an answer to this, but I'm looking for a way to get it so I can put a copy of WIndows XP on an old system I'm looking to sell, get it patched up, drivers on it, and all that, but leave the identifying information off of it at least until the buyer gets to it.

Is there a way to do this, or is there a different way to handle this?

Google sysprep

Okay, this catches about 3/5 of it in the testing I've been doing. But not all of what I was looking for.

WHICH identifying information? :unsure:

jaclaz

The initial user name it requires you to enter, along with the name and organization (which I put "Your Name" and "Your Organization"). The user name is easy enough to go in and fix, but I'm not sure on the other two. Basically I want to get the copy of XP to be as "virgin" as possible for the buyer and not have any of my stuff in it.

Edited by Glenn9999

Step 1) DBAN

Step 2) Re-install generic XP with your recovery disc, maybe even use the buyers name for them or ask them what computer name they want. etc.

Step 3) $$$ Profit $$$

Important note: If you do not have a XP disc to re-install with, do not run the DBAN, it will delete everything. Forget sysprep unless you've used it before, not as easy as dariks boot and nuke + reinstall. If they don't like the generic user name you pick, they can re-install using the product key from your COA sticker.

Edited by MrJinje

The initial user name it requires you to enter, along with the name and organization (which I put "Your Name" and "Your Organization"). The user name is easy enough to go in and fix, but I'm not sure on the other two. Basically I want to get the copy of XP to be as "virgin" as possible for the buyer and not have any of my stuff in it.

i am not too sure about the "initial user name" :unsure:, BUT for Name and Organization:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310441/en-us

Maybe you mean the actual name of first profile/user, if it is that just create a new user/profile and delete the old one, see:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/151512-how-to-delete-all-logins-and-pass/

@MrJinje

Certainly wiping the disk is effective :), though in this specific case, it seems to me like this is not an "old" install to be "recycled", but rather a "brand new" install (on a wiped disk) that needs to be "anonymized" and then "personalized".

jaclaz

i am not too sure about the "initial user name" :unsure:, BUT for Name and Organization:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310441/en-us

@MrJinje

Certainly wiping the disk is effective :), though in this specific case, it seems to me like this is not an "old" install to be "recycled", but rather a "brand new" install (on a wiped disk) that needs to be "anonymized" and then "personalized".

jaclaz

I just tested that, that covers the rest of it. As for the 2nd part of the quote, that's the whole story. DBAN bomb already set off, virgin copy of XP installed and patched up to current, but not activated. Only problem is that there are certain forced "personalizations" when installed that need to be changable if the end-user wants done (I doubt "Your Name" is going to fly as a profile).

Anyway, I think there shouldn't be any more problems that will present themselves in selling this old machine.