integrate drivers in a new way

"C:\Windows\Driver Cache\i386"

I found this folder interesting. Maybe setup searches there for drivers before looking up the "OemPnpDrivers" path entry in winnt.sif?

If so, then a big bother is saved, and we just need to dump all required drivers into "$OEM$\$$\Driver Cache".

If anybody is able to take this idea forward, please post back.

I haven't tried it yet but I was considering adding my drivers to 'driver.cab' which resides in the I386 folder on the XP CD. Driver.cab ans sp1.cab end up in drivercache/I386 folder. I'm curious if anyone has used that approach. If it works, you could potentially save quite a bit of space having your oem drivers in the cab file.

Tried adding those files in driver.cab using Joebeck's method since it also updates the driverindex files, however, the driver (SATA) was not recognized/read/installed properly, so back to the $OEM$ method.

The "Driver Cache" folder is used by Windows to store installed drivers. So it grows by the time you install more and more drivers. I guess Windows is only searching this folder after the setup process is completed.

What i know is that the "Driver Cache" folder will be searched for drivers before the OEMPNPDriver Paths are searched.

Guessing it should be

1. Windows drivers database

2. Driver Cache

3. OEMPNPDriver Paths

I dont know if itll be searched for drivers during setup because it will only store drivers thatll be installed by the Windows setup.