How to save as unicode?

thedogcow

Wraith: Great work. this little guy is a lifesaver.

I did run into a glitch when I changed over to 1.0.5. I'm running an unattended install (not from CD, won't fit.). I stage everything onto the local laptop from the network, including Xplode and the XML for the platform. It appears something gets lost in using xcopy or copy to stage the xml over to the new platform. The original XML on the network works fine, but any copied XML just gets a complaint of it not being in Unicode format. Does anyone have any idea how to copy a Unicode ASCII file and maintain that encoding? I've tried xcopy and /a and /b switches on copy. No luck.

Thanks!

Slim,

Thanks, but I have a working Unicode file on my server, but when that file is copied to the platform where the unattended is being staged it apparently looses that encoding. Doesn't exactly work for an unattended automated isntall to have to go through and rebuild those xml files by hand on every platform.

when does the file get copied over?

if you're running it at GUIRunOnce and copying over, then starting XPlode, you could just point XPlode to use the XML file directly on the network.

you could try the /G /K /X

one might work, dunno

Hi!

did you check the file after copying it ?

it would be helpful to know what actually changed.

is it really converted back to ansi, or did it loose its unicode header ?

and this might be a little extraodinary for such a little problem, but you might also consider, instead of copying the file to its new location, create an sfx and let it extract at the proper time to its new location.

This is not elegant, but at least might be a soltion if you need one quickly!

Greetz

KMan

Hi!

did you check the file after copying it ?

it would be helpful to know what actually changed.

is it really converted back to ansi, or did it loose its unicode header ?

and this might be a little extraodinary for such a little problem, but you might also consider, instead of copying the file to its new location, create an sfx and let it extract at the proper time to its new location.

This is not elegant, but at least might be a soltion if you need one quickly!

Greetz

KMan

Kman,

The file appears to be intact. I did a diff on the two and came back with no changes. If I open the file that is giving me problems and open save as it defaults to Unicode formating. I'm guessing something of the header didn't quite make it. I may have to resort to some kind of self extractor. That's a good idea that I hadn't considered.