Workgroup name change...

Yonderboy

You can change all the values with Registry settings.

I did that at work with W2K it works perfectly.

I am at work again at 28th of march, i got holidays unfortunately :)

i can post the settings then.

I got this one too...sometimes, to resolve a problem, all you need is a good sleep :D

I downloaded a tool called NETDOM.EXE, but not the newest one, you need specifically the version 1.8 that is a part of Microsoft Windows NT4 resource kit. You can download it here This version is the last one, that supports workgroup name change.

In Microsoft, they don't care about workgroup much more these days, only AD, those little sneaks.... :) it took me one hour to find out...

I put it into c:\windows\system32 folder

and used a following syntax in commandline

netdom member \\computername /joinworkgroup newworkgroupname

THANX ballsup for netsh..it works perfectly.

As I said in other thread before, I hope somebody will find this usefull... :rolleyes:

Because this one is a specialized installation that requires to be installed and partly configured in network #1, and than, it is physically moved to various another locations - network #2 to #7 as a cloning master. And since it is not possible for me to travel to these locations, for each of these locations there is a preconfigured script, that contains literally hundreds of settings and reg changes and configs, in a form of a "magic button" (it really is one button - a shortcut to a that script).

They just run the appropriate button and everything will be done for them incl. that workgroup. :)