Skype on Windows 95?

Andrew T.

Does anyone know if a Windows 95-compatible version of Skype exists...or ever existed, for that matter?

I do know that the early 1.x versions were compatible with Windows 98. No luck experimenting with those, though. If I so much as run the installer, this charming dialogue is the first thing to appear:

skype.png

Yep. That just appears to make the installer hang and require a force quit when it does its automatic checking.

Now I'm dying to hack the installer, though. I poked around it with Resource Hacker and a hex editor, but didn't see anything that was an obvious version check.

Hmmm... It must have a URL coded into it somewhere to check. You might be able to hex edit that, but if it waits for a response no matter what then I don't know how much good it would do. The trick would be giving it the response it expects - maybe the version check mechanism could be broken, but that's over my head. :}

You might also try searching for command line switches for the installer, there's always a possibility that some existed. If you could get the package to install silently or even just extract itself it might be a step in the right direction...

Edited by LoneCrusader

I forgot what it was but there is a way to block that update check using the HOST FILE...

My favourite version of Skype was 0.97.0.40

They changed it and all the 1.x versions WILL NOT RUN ON 98se! (@ least on mine)

The next version I could run flawlessly was 2.0.0.73 -- BUT ITS QUITE OVERBLOATED!! (19 megs installed)

I think all they did was change the server the original clients were connecting to?? (Might be able to edit the file somehow....WOULD BE INTERESTING)

But to be frank now that Microsoft owns it,I WOULD NOT USE IT!!

Hi, Andrew T! :hello:

Good to hear from you. :yes:

I've got Skype 1.4.0.84 installed on my 98SE from way back, and it never gave me grief.

Now, what Dude111 said makes sense: just find out which site the installer tries to access and redirect it (to 127.0.0.1, on 1st guess) through the hosts file...

It may be enough. Or you actually may have to use a real IP, instead of 127.0.0.1 (but I really doubt that'll be necessary). dubbio.gif

The problem with simply redirecting the installer to 127.0.0.1 or another site would be if the installer actually expects a certain response. It's worth trying, but I think that the installer would eventually run when the machine isn't connected to the Internet if it were that easy...

As of at least February 2013, only Skype of versions 3.2 and higher is allowed to connect. Older skype versions force users to update. Probably, the lowest allowed version limit even raised since then. All skype versions 3.x officially support Windows 98 SE, don't know about Windows 95. Probably earlier 4.x versions will also work, but not sure. According to russian Windows 98 SE forum, Skype 3.5.0.229 is considered the best for Windows 98 - the newer versions may cause errors or incompatibilities.

I suggest you to try Skype 3.x. If none of 3.2 or higher versions work for you, then it's impossible to connect to Skype on Windows 95. On Windows 98 SE I successfully used Skype 3.5 or 3.6 at least for text messaging this summer. So, Windows 98 users still can use skype (or could - in summer, now my computer with skype is dead and I cannot check it).

Old versions of Skype can be downloaded here: http://www.oldversion.com/windows/skype/

By the way - did anybody try Skype 4.x on Windows 98?

Edited by M()zart

Only a few versions are working for me. Versions 3.2.0.175, 3.5.0.229 or 3.8.0.188 still running. Maybe there are some more. E.g. 3.6.0.248 or 3.1.0.152 are terminated on start (Message: Update required...).

I confirm Skype 1.4.0.84 isn't able to connect anymore! :(

Well... As you can see, I hardly use Skype, ever... the latest time I had used it before this one, it did connect all right... :wacko:

Sorry if I was misleading... :blushing:

Got the version I mentioned above working (1.3066)

hint:

127.0.0.1 ui.skype.com

Not sure if that will let the installer work, if it will work on Win95. If the installer won't work, disconnect from internet and install.

Edit: This does let the installer work, but now I can't log in? I'll keep poking around.

Further edit: It does work, I'm putting all the steps I've taken here, not sure if everything is necessary, but...

1. Download the version I have linked to above

2. Disconnect the PC from the internet

3. Run the installer, it may hang for a minute, but will eventually run.

4. Reconnect the PC to the internet.

5. Start Skype, you will see the ugly update box, tell it yes or no (doesn't matter)

6. Add line to hosts file and reboot

7. Start Skype and enjoy.

skypev.jpg

Edited by Steven W

Wow 1.3 works????

I wonder if the 0.x clients are working again!!!!!

I think if I was gonna try skype again I would use GWCONNECT to avoid any of microsofts spyware they have put in it..... (If i couldnt get an earlier skype client working (from before they took over))

127.0.0.1 ui.skype.com

Thank you bud,i had forgotton what it was!!!

I might wanna add: If someone DOES NOT HAVE '127.0.0.1' pointed to ''LOCALHOST'' in the host file,use ZERO instead :) (0 ui.skype.com)

Edited by Dude111