Office Shrinker [reduce source of o2k3/xp/2k]

buckeyeXP

I have a problem (it might be discussed already):

I have an Office 2003 SP3 install CD and I only need Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access, without clipart, help, tools etc.

Followed the guide from HERE (without slipstreaming anything) and created a 59 MB installer (with /qb- switch, only progress bars). The operation was done on a freshly installed WinXP SP2 virtual machine so I wouldn't miss any files.

After that, I tried to install it on two machines: one with Vista SP1 and one with Win2000 SP4. Both installs behaved exactly the same: at the third progress bar of the MSI installer, it rolls back and exits. No files, folders or shortcuts were created (Program Files, Start Menu).

I ran the installer without the answer file and it said that some files are missing, something like Office*.dll (anyway, I don't think it was something from the removed components). This maybe caused by the Office Shrinker app so I'm not sure if this is the cause of the rollback.

How can I debug the installation progress? Are there any log files generated (that contain useful information)?

It looks like no one is interested/knows/had run into the problem.

The problem from my post above is caused by n/vLiting Windows, so the Office installer (also shrinked) cannot add some files that have been removed by nLite, for example, in my machine - a DR Watson .DLL.

The solution is running the shrinked Office installer without the silent switch and copy the missing files from the original CD to the unpacked shrinked Office installer and repack to 7z.

• 4 weeks later...

Nick White,

Your problem is a common one and is a classic example of the one weakness with Office shrinker -

You need to create you Shrunken install, not only on a clean windows setup, but also one that is exactly the same as the one that you will be using the install on.

For example;

i) You VM a completely clean XP machine from standard cd and run shrink,

ii) You try to install you shrunken Office on an NLited xp,

Sorry - probably will not work.

Similarly, if you create on XP then try to install on Vista. I'm not saying it definately won't work - I'm sure someone will post saying theirs was OK but it's iffy.

The way I work is:

i) Create my windows install first - tweaked, NLited, runtime files etc,

ii) Then I VM it and create my Office shrink.

This will work 99% of the time - you can even (with some work) persuade it to install at T12/13 once the default user is created.

You need to create you Shrunken install, not only on a clean windows setup, but also one that is exactly the same as the one that you will be using the install on.

Not true!

Office Shrinker have problems with SP3. When you finish reducing size, run the shrinked installation without any switches. In this way you will see that some files are missing. Just add those and you will have no problems.

Cheers ;)

• 2 months later...

Thanks Turkish Office professional version shirink finished works

virtual machine Vmware but missing files

FILES\PFILES\MSOFFICE\OFFICE11\MSCOMCTL.DLL

FILES\PFILES\MSOFFICE\OFFICE11\OFFICE.DLL

FILES\PFILES\MSOFFICE\OFFICE11\VBIDEPIA.DLL

FILES\PFILES\MSFT.NET\PIAS\GAC\126435

FILES\PFILES\MSFT.NET\PIAS\GAC\126444

FILES\PFILES\MSFT.NET\PIAS\111362

FILES\PFILES\MSFT.NET\PIAS\114290

FILES\PFILES\MSFT.NET\PIAS\119630

shirink.log.zip

Edited by CaNgO

• 1 month later...

After shrink need copy this files.

FILES\PFILES\MSOFFICE\OFFICE11\MSCOMCTL.DLL
FILES\PFILES\MSOFFICE\OFFICE11\OFFICE.DLL
FILES\PFILES\MSOFFICE\OFFICE11\VBIDEPIA.DLL

FILES\PFILES\MSFT.NET\PIAS\GAC\126435

FILES\PFILES\MSFT.NET\PIAS\111362
FILES\PFILES\MSFT.NET\PIAS\114290
FILES\PFILES\MSFT.NET\PIAS\119630

Edited by X-FoRcE

• 3 weeks later...

I keep getting an error with the dutch version.

20081021151220xd3.th.pngthpix.gif

Can't see what I 'm doing wrong. I've succesfully created the UK version (88MB) and made it exe but for this it's driving me nuts. I have to choose 'Dutch' right?

Ok I find out what the problem was.

Changed

retry = &nogmaals

into

retry = &Opnieuw

and changed regional settings to dutch too.

Done on a XP SP2 (english) and office 2003 dutch

Edited by Kingskawn

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I shrinked down my office install and when I executes it it doesn't make any shortcuts in the start menu. When I then uninstall it and reinstall it, there is nothing that have been done?

Anybody have the same problem?

Edited by Kingskawn

• 1 month later...

thankss... actually..i hv seen someone use this..and compressed the setup file with kgb arhiver... n it really small... just 2MB..but takes really long time to extract.... fast download from internet.. and its a full version of office 2003

• 2 months later...

Is there a way to shrink Frontpage? I just tried with my Office CD2 (Frontpage) and it barfs with error 25003 "MS Office Frontpage setup cannot continue because the installation source has been corrupted"

But its quite happy to install as normal - its just OfficeShrink wont work on it (FP2003).... I know I could overwrite my shrunk O2K3 with FP2003 but then I'd bloat it by 300Mb when Frontpage is only 130Mb or less....

:(

• 2 weeks later...