Office Shrinker [reduce source of o2k3/xp/2k]

buckeyeXP

Hi, I think this app is an excellent idea but it's just not working for me. I'm using a fresh virtual machine with xp pro sp2.

My problem is that it dosn't seem to copy any files. It let's me configure everything just fine however right after I press the button to let it start I get the Shrinkage allready complete message, long before it has copyed anything.

Looking in the office.log file I can see a chained install return code:1603. I think that is the problem right there but I'm not sure. Any help would be grately appriciated.

Edited by Fr33m4n

I somehow fixed the problem by applying a windows update. Don't know which but it seems to be working now. So that's really cool but my next question is can I shrink proofing tools? I tried using office shrinker but it didn't seem to work.

Oke here is nice Q:

> Does office shrinker also support other MSI(-like) packages, (open office for example)

and if not, why, and how mutch would it take to add support for it,

i already have been able to work out the MST file to auto setup OOo to leave out components, leaving it out could well save me about, 40 to 50mb

please advice

• 3 weeks later...

Would be nice to see an update of the shring office script, gotta love it anyway.

I've noticed 3 things:1. When Outlook filter isn't integrated, sometimes no go, thing backs up.2. Depending on the MST you've made, results varry.3. When you re-run shrink_lang02.exe a second time, it presents a different completion notice displaying time to completion. The resulting file has a better chance of finishing setup.

The broken links are also causing me to struggle. You need Office Resource Kit (aka ORK) to create the MST file. I found it on another site. I just uploaded it. Download it here.

I have a couple questions myself. I managed to figure out how to make the Unattended.MST file with ORK. I ran Office Shrink and it even installed Office 2003 perfectly. But with a very small snag. In the middle of the process, it popped up with a small dialog box and simply said "broken". Weird. But it installed fine. Other thing to note: no matter how much I remove, the final output folder ends up being exactly 290 MB every time. Furthermore, when I try to install it on another computer, it asks for a serial # (that was configured in the MST files and worked on the original computer). But I got my hopes up that I can make this work. It works one time on the original machine almost perfectly. I'm sure if we had the guides, we could work out all the bugs.

Can anyone point us in the right direction? I have searched for answers on this site. I've gone pretty far back in the posts with no luck. Like finding a needle in a haystack. :}

Edited by sleepydvdr

You don't need Word? :D

just select the items and read what it is about... and think if you need it or not..

things like Binder, Query, Image Manager, Web Components etc... you can remove a lot.

But you might want to select extra lettertypes.

Btw why Frontpage? I don't understand why people still use that... you never know if your site will be compatible with webbrowsers..

I recommend Nvu (www.nvu.com) it is free btw.

Edited by ZileXa

@BuckeyXP

See post #438: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=16709&st=437#

Unfortunately for Dutch users, after more than half a year this bug in Office Shrinker has not been fixed.

I am creating an new shrinked version because Excel always gave me errors when starting (is was missing VBA support) and I wanted SP2. That's how I found out.

edit: sorry for the double post, didn't realized I already posted something earlier..

Edited by ZileXa

Hi

Donno if someone posted it allready, to much to read through. Heres the German settings:

[Language]

lang=German

dir=1033

retry=&Wiederholen

title=Microsoft Office

error=Fehler

[Directory]

Office Source=C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\hendrik.OCIS\Desktop\unattended2\officexpkommplett\

Office Target=C:\office\

[Files]

Office Setup EXE file=SETUP.EXE

Office Setup MST file=unattended.MST

[Version]

Number=10.0.3325.0

Hiii Guyzz I m able to get the Shrinked office Folder of about 150 Mb.

Now I think I will have to make it a Rar SFX to get the size to around 70 mb.(Correct me if I m wrong)

So I was wondering wat all things to add in that Rar Sfx > Only the Shrinked Office Folder ??

I am really confused at this last step , do Help me..