• Others (Specify what)
    • Kaspersky
    • NOD32
    • Norton Antivirus (Home Version)
    • AVG
    • Avast!
    • F-Secure
    • Norman

Those of you who like NOD32, you should check out the beta (2.5). Its got some really cool new features. Now you can submit "possible" viruses to eset for further analysis. Anyway, my vote goes to nod32

I personally use NAV 2004 although it consumes A LOT of resources.

But I heard Kaspersky it's a good AV:

- small, few resources occupied

- good detection

- small updates

- easy to use

Avast is supposed to be the same way, too. In fact, it updated twice yesterday!!!!

That's with the current version. The current version is 4.6.

Err did somebody at least notice that norton doesn't even detect a virus if you compress it using freeware programs like exestealth or upx (I don't know if nav 2005 extracts upx/exestealth compressed executables but since previous versions did not I suppose that for 2005 too (also I don't know if something changes with the corporate edition but since the defs are the same I suppose not))

There's no antivirus that can detect all the viruses, however with all those virus variants compressed or encrypted using all those executable compression/encryption utilities that are easily found on the web how can you trust an antivirus that doesn't recognizes them? Even the most basic freeware antivirus like antivir or avast! extract those files and correctly detect the viruses inside of them!

Most of the spywares/trojans/viruses/worms that spread in the internet are just the recompressed or encrypted versions of the original ones and symantec has to add new defs for each of them: this makes very difficult for norton to detect all of them.

This is not meant to be a flame it's just a way to show that often not all the software is as good as the producers try to make it appear.

Err did somebody at least notice that norton doesn't even detect a virus if you compress it using freeware programs like exestealth or upx (I don't know if nav 2005 extracts upx/exestealth compressed executables but since previous versions did not I suppose that for 2005 too (also I don't know if something changes with the corporate edition but since the defs are the same I suppose not))

There's no antivirus that can detect all the viruses, however with all those virus variants compressed or encrypted using all those executable compression/encryption utilities that are easily found on the web how can you trust an antivirus that doesn't recognizes them? Even the most basic freeware antivirus like antivir or avast! extract those files and correctly detect the viruses inside of them!

Most of the spywares/trojans/viruses/worms that spread in the internet are just the recompressed or encrypted versions of the original ones and symantec has to add new defs for each of them: this makes very difficult for norton to detect all of them.

This is not meant to be a flame it's just a way to show that often not all the software is as good as the producers try to make it appear.

For sure they are all working a lot on marketing, probably more on it than on their scan engines/features, but for compressed viruses to be found by norton the option has to be switched on. By default it is off and norton doesn't scan compressed files... it works perfectly with zip and rar files, but I didn't check with executable-compression tools modified virus files

• 2 weeks later...

I want to change my vote, I am going to stop using F-PROT and use AVG Free Edition instead. AVG Free Edition has auto updates, runs on boot up, does scheduling, etc..

Are there any other nice, free virus scanners?