• Others (Specify what)
    • Kaspersky
    • NOD32
    • Norton Antivirus (Home Version)
    • AVG
    • Avast!
    • F-Secure
    • Norman

I am using Kaspersky ATM, although I am already thinking about switch again. I don't like NAV's patch behaviour, although I am not able to tell you why ;-)

Kaspersky seems to be a very good AV program, but it is anoying to see my hardisk working overtime at every windows startup. I need to wait 5 minutes before I can even think about using my computer, which is kind of odd as I am using a notebook. A quick workaround is sending my NB to hibernate, but I usually forget to do so ;-)

Nephilim

I always liked Kaspersky and I still do but I, too, have a few issues with it. They made it a bit more friendly with the 5.x releases, at least. I've used Kaspersky since around the tim v3.x was released.

For the heck of it I tried out Eset NOD32 and I'm quite happy with how it behaves. I also have F-Prot, Kaspersky, eTrust, and The Cleaner. I'm of the paranoid type and I always like to confirm and cross-check results. Besides, each AV tends to have its strong points and weak points. Multiple programs allow you to overlap your protection and reduce overall weaknesses. I generally only run AVs on-demand but I've switched to using NOD32 when I want to run a real-time scanner.

Check out the trial version of it :)

rotjong

SOPHOS all the way, one of the best. :)

The university at our school just bought licenses for this program for all of the students. Can you tell me how it is on system resources and on actually find viruses? I have never heard of it before, just curious what the cyberl public thinks.

]Bonkers[

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I use to use EZ antivirus until I got a virus it did not catch. So rather than just download another antivirus at will ( of which I eventually did ) I went out on the internet searching test results and various other information (on many many web pages ) on how the anti virus was and how it worked. I bet I read 100 pages or more on many different antivirus software and how they worked and how efficient they were.

Reading users opinions does not really help and the reason is, it is merely their opinion with you real information on how good any particular software is. The results I read were from independent testers and companies who did not associate themselves with the software they were testing.

After reading many pages and test results (go to any search engin and type in antivirus results and antivirus comparisons-as I did) I decided that NOD32 was the best. It caught every virus in the wild and those that were already recorded. In each result that I read at least, they were given a number 10. Mcafee and AVG (and it was the free AVG and I was so surprised at that) that were in the 9.x range. All others were below the 9.x range of which I voted NO for my computer. I also discovered that NOD32 uses more than one enginetodiscover virus and that is very good, many others do not.

NOD32 has auto download and update and it constantly scans with these differenet engines, which most do. To me, NOD32 was the most accurate and complete antivirus software around. But please be informed, all the test results I read and all the info I read, they also said, notany antivirus all the time will catch every known and unknown virus. In other words, none are perfect, so your left to decide which is best.

So after careful consideration, I decided on NOD32 of which I am using now and so far it is most excellent with no problems and has caught everything that has come through in email and on web pages. To be sure it does catch everyting, I also use online scanner to be sure it is working correctly and it always has to this date.

You will find, that the more famous a name is in software and the more recognisable a name is, people tend to buy that, for they think, well they are a known product and they have to be good. Well as I have found out, nothing could be farther from the truth. One thing I do know, I would never put nortons on any computer, becuase of the slowness and problems it creates in most computers. I have many customers who use nortons and had nothing but problems and when it was removed, the problems went away. Norton's is far from the best and infact, I would not consider them a good product at all. McAfee is a close one behind nortons for problems on alot of computers and I also would never use it.

I just wish I could share the web pages I saw with all of you, but that would take up another whole page and when your traveling the internet looking for information, you do not save them. So use a search engin as I did.

All this is my opinion and what I found out by reading independent test results. So if you want the very best that can be had (et al) buy NOD32 and no I do not work for them. But I am a computer technician who is still learning after 14 years of computer work and computer college! ;) So not matter how much you think you know, you can and will learn more, just remember, you cannot teach a know it all anything...heheheheh :rolleyes:

Dakota SunRunner

:thumbup

OMG!! How can you forget to add Norton AV on the list?? tut tut!!

Oh btw, McAfee has released v8 for a few months now.

Also, some people like NOD32. Haven't seen/used it myself but would give it a try.

kaspersky 5.0 is the top, it won very prestigious award in the UK ,,What PC,, 200 edition and it won not only the best ANTI-VIRUS but it the the award BEST SOFTWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :whistle::whistle:

I was going to vote for Avast but it isn't on the poll, so I figured I'd say AVG instead. Oh wait, it's not on there either! That's it, I'm not voting!  :P

mindreader

avast the greatest, with his nice cousains avg, nod32 and kaspersky...

i don't believe how anyone could vote for norton...guess some unfamiliar non-tech newbies...

Hey everyone,

Here's my very first post on these forums!

I've gotta say that everyone who hasn't tried using NOD32 should. I've been a Norton fan for ages (and I mean about 5-6 years), and you couldn't get me back if you paid me.

As for a former post regarding fast scanning times, NOD32 will scan my 40 GB (4200 RPM) HD in about 3 mins. And this is with a full XP Pro install, Acrobat, Office 2003, Photoshop, etc etc etc... lotsa files.

I also found that with Norton on my wireless connection at the university I go to (University of British Columbia), I was usually limited at about 100k/s. Now, I'm not saying that this is slow by any means, but with NOD32, I was getting the full bandwidth of my wireless card being used. NOD32 takes the bottleneck away from your software and puts it where it should be, in hardware.

The only thing that I'll say about NOD32 is that it doesn't handle scripts. To take care of this, I use a little proggie called Script Sentry to monitor any scripts that may end up running on my computer.

As for the rest, I sit behind a hardware firewall all the time, and I use the Windows Built-In firewall to take care of the rest (if there is anything).

GO GET NOD32 NOW!!!!

Any SYMANTECian ;) product should be fine, especially, Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition. B)

I can't feel safe nor sleep deeply without my PC being protected by SYMANTEC technology. :P

NOD32 is the best. Norton is big and slow. NOD32 is only 10-15 MB big, and uses very listtle system resources. And on all professional tests have best results. I use it for almost 2 years and there is no way to change NOD32 for any other program. Try it (especially if you use Norton)!

Millan