Windows PE Operating System Installation Edition

CuBie

Which Is Better?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Which Is Better?

• Grey
    • Blue

the only way i could think of was by using ghost to load a image of a hard disk which is bootable (e.g. sys C:) and contains the setup files with a modified autoexec.bat else i do not think there is any way to install from winpe.

You didn't have NT 4.0 and earlier on the list, why not? Also, i think this is a great idea and would be willing to test it for u. If you want, you can have your own board on my forums for your project and can a your own usergroup. I need to get some activity on them. Just pm me if you are interested. HERE they are if you want too see them.

Hello!

Just one little thing.  The Windows flag in the top corner doesn't look so good on the screenshots you posted in the first page.  I have found the official logo and just left it at a high resolution so you can resize it to your needs.  The link to it is:  http://homenet.uni.cc/windowslogo.jpg

Can you also please contact me once the first public beta is ready.  I would love to test it.  I am also quite good with graphics and if you would like I can start makig some "skins" for it. :rolleyes:

>>Zaheer Chothia

Thanks!

The reason it looks sooo crappy in the pic is because i compressed it to .jpg... In the program it looks fine..

Im glad soo many people are intrested in the project :)....

Does anyone have a soloution to run windows 95,98 or ME setup? I thought we could put a autoexec on the C:\ Drive that launch's setup when they reboot? - Is this possible.

Also what operating Systems am i missing from the program or what os's should or shouldnt i include>>>>

Im gonna make the INI file configurable so u configure what os's the program shoiws: Somthing like this..

[DISPLAY]

95=off (or on)

98=on

etc... So u can just choose what os's you want the program to display.

Im not sure what to do with the graphics at the moment as i need them to have transparency - but only .GIF supports this, but if i use GIF i loose the quality of the images (like in the screenshots)....So for now ive used .GIF for the option buttons witch need to be transparent and ive used .JPG for the rest, witch seems a bit messy to me.

I really want to use .PNG for them - but visual basic dosent support this format..

hmm.. What to do? any ideas - i might have to get a class for VB that supports PNG so i can use them......

Im at school now i will be back later,

Please post your ideas and comments,

and thanks for the encouragement!

Later,

Chris.

You didn't have NT 4.0 and earlier on the list, why not? Also, i think this is a great idea and would be willing to test it for u. If you  want, you can have your own board on my forums for your project and can a your own usergroup. I need to get some activity on them. Just pm me if you are interested. HERE they are if you want too see them.

Thanks for the offer - but for now, here will do - but if you don't mind, a newsgroup will be nice :rolleyes:...

I havent started to think about beta testers yet but when i get around to it ill make sure your one of them.

If anyone else wants to be a beta tester just say so - it would be helpful if you are on msn though, btw..

I will add all the OS's people want so if you lot want NT4, ill add it.....

Thanks,

Chris. :)

Sorry for 3 posts in a row - but im soo excited about this project and ive got more stuff to ask..

What kind of tools should be included in it and how should the skins work - ? lots of diffrent images or somthign else?

Also im considering moving this project to vs.net (Visual Basic .net) as it is much more powerful - but is it possible to intergrate the .net framework into windows pe?

Thanks Alot,

Christopher.

ok, before this gets out of hand...I think this should only be used for the most used versions of windows...cut out 95 and me. ill leave it up to the rest of the people about nt4, but I wouldnt add that. The reason I say this is it will get out of hand if we include all NT's...cuz theres 3.5, 3.51 3.1. So I would have it do 98, 2k, xp, 2k3. Cubie, leave it as VB...I dont think it is really doable to add .net in pe

i am very intrested in this project it would make one hell of a bootable disk because you can add every windows version.

also i would say use the ini file because some will want all the os's and some only most used so they can each personalize the ini and you please more people.

i have msn and feel free to add me (pm for address)

ok, before this gets out of hand...I think this should only be used for the most used versions of windows...cut out 95 and me.  ill leave it up to the rest of the people about nt4, but I wouldnt add that.  The reason I say this is it will get out of hand if we include all NT's...cuz theres 3.5, 3.51 3.1.  So I would have it do 98, 2k, xp, 2k3.  Cubie, leave it as VB...I dont think it is really doable to add .net in pe

Yeh, i agree.

I will only make it work for the os's that are most popular....

98,2000,XP Pro,Server 2003 Advanced

Will they do or is there another popular OS's that people want?

--

DO any VB coders know how to get .png support?

Later,

Chris.

2nd

I actually never meant to change what was already set for the other OS's. From the original screenshot you posted Cubie...I think you should only take out the 95 and ME part...leave all other OS's and versions. If youre gonna have 2000, why not include all versions....I mean it would seem dumb to me to limit yourself that way. Im not saying limit the app...just before we start adding 3000 OS's to the program, we should have a default set. So...Leave all versions of XP, 2K, 2K3 and 98. As far as the ini...I think it should be customizable with OS's and directories to the OS. Something Like

peosinst.ini

[OS]
98=off
98se=on
2kw=on
2ks=off
2ka=on
2kd=off
xph=on
xpp=off
xpm=on
xpt=on
23w=on
23s=on
23e=on
23d=off

[Directories]
;use this section for OS's you select for on, using the same id for the directory
98se=%CDROM%\98\
2kw=%CDROM%\2kwk\nr1wfre_en\i386\

This is only a template of what Im thinking...You could probably take out the I386 part...and also for OS's you dont wanna install...Im not sure if you need them in there or if the program will automatically default other os ids to no

I use 23 for 2k3 as I dont know how vb will translate it...if it will see 2k3 or 2k 3...guess it all depends...but that is what im thinking as a ini file...

Right for the moment im not gonna add the ability to disable os's... - This would mean alot of images and image manipulation in the program - Unless i have a listview instead of images for a list of the supported Os's

Later,

Chris.