Norton and WMD

JorgeA

Symantec is offering me an updated version of their Norton 360 suite, and when I went to read the EULA I came across the following text there:

USE OR FACILITATION OF SYMANTEC PRODUCT IN CONNECTION WITH ANY ACTIVITY INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE DESIGN, DEVELOPMENT, FABRICATION, TRAINING, OR TESTING OF CHEMICAL, BIOLOGICAL, OR NUCLEAR MATERIALS, OR MISSILES, DRONES, OR SPACE LAUNCH VEHICLES CAPABLE OF DELIVERING WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION IS PROHIBITED, IN ACCORDANCE WITH U.S. LAW.

Now some folks here might want to joke about Norton possibly being a "weapon of mass (PC) destruction" ;) , but more seriously I'd be curious as to what you all think the section above could be talking about. The only WMD connection I can think of is that the EULA prohibits using Norton products to try to stop packages like Stuxnet that are intended to mess up the computers running production facilities such as (but not only) uranium enrichment centrifuges. Could that be it? Any other possibilities? :unsure:

Other than that, I'm scratching my head.

--JorgeA

Actually it could be a form of advertisement (or to have full legal compliance with some Lawyers only know obscure US Defense/NSA regulations).

Of course if I were a some-non-US-country war lord or a terrorist or more simply Dr. Evil (or a top villain from SPECTRE :w00t: ) and I wanted to play a little with chemical or nuclear weapons my first thought would be to call my IT guy and order him to make sure that all software has the proper license and is respecting the EULA's beforehand.

You see, if by chance you survive my nuclear or chemical attack and manage to get your hands on me, I don't want (besides being processed as a War Criminal) to be charged for breaking a software license and risk being fined for it, or even have, say, two years added to my infinite prison sentence (or death sentence) :ph34r:.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/19/movie-gadget-friday-runaway/

The bottom line they do not want people to have any privacy so, that "Super cops" could continue to be on Uncle-Sams tab. Basically alot of ex-military types need bread on their tables, and it is easy to abuse people who do nothing harmless, to anybody at all, then to go after real criminals.

Norton, is not built into the operating system, as with many programs that keeps unwanted guests out. If you understand how OS are oriented, then you also understand that a Super-Cop would want to get as much dirt on somebody before that attacked them. Because most officers nowaday avoids being sued.

Eitherway their is nothing to fear but fear itself. So we should not think in that manor. I also see alot of hidden messages in various "programs" that informs me of my activities. The bottom-line is that you should not support advancement in technology as possible. Boycotting holidays is a must.

Edited by ROTS