PartitionMagic in Server 2003?

Chem

Pretty strait faward, Im running an activated legal copy of Windows Server 2003 Enterprise.

When I try to install PartitionMagic8 I get an error saying "The Setup has detected that you are running Windows NT/2000/.net server. The will now exit."

I know there was a tool called NTtweak that was on a guide for server 2003 before, but it seems to be gone, and no ammount of googling has helped.

I took a quick look in the setup.ini file for partitionmagic, and it looks pretty promising.

In ending, PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO GET PARTITIONMAGIC TO WORK ON 2K3!

Thanks for the help,

Its not supported on Windows Server 2003, and using workarounds to force it to work isn't a good idea either, as Windows Server uses NTFS 5.2.

Acronis PartitionExpert 2003 is supported on Windows Server 2003 however.

Unless you found that link as a trial download, I think that's against the forum rules to post it. (Doesn't it classify as bypassing a site's security or something?) It just seems wrong. That's my opinion, anyways.

After installing and running PartitionExpert, I have to say it doesn't work very well and would recommend against using it on Server 2003.

I was working with an unformmated unpartitioned 60GB hard drive, after taking a quick look on Maxtors site, I found it makes alot more sense to use Windows built in formatting and partitioning tools, they have a user friendly GUI and looks about that same as PartitionExpert.

Accessing Disk Management and partitioning the drive:

1. Right-click on "My Computer".

2. Select "Manage"

3. In the new window, Computer Management, select "Disk Management" and voila, your greeted with all the user friendly hard drive tools you need.

I formatted and partitioned my second hard drive without any difficulty.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I understand that the windows Disk Management solution works fine when you want to format and partition a new disk. But what if you want to change the size and/or location of the existing partitions on your primary disk?

PartitionMagic used to perform a great job on WinXP, but I haven't found a good working solution for server 2003 (except doing a complete re-install but that's no real option :D )

I have already tried VolumeManager (also by Powerquest) but when I try to install that I get the message "VolumeManager is currently not suited for Windows XP" :D:rolleyes:

I was thinking about trying PartitionExpert but since you're advising not to ... (by the way for what reasons do you advise not to use it?) ... and now I'm left puzzled on how to easily manage my partitions?

Help and suggestions would be very, very much appriciated :)

I have already tried VolumeManager (also by Powerquest) but when I try to install that I get the message "VolumeManager is currently not suited for Windows XP"  :rolleyes:  :)
Of course. Windows 2003 is not supported by any Powerquest (well, now Symantec, as it seems) product - yet. Will it ever? Who knows, now that Symantec bought Powerquest.
I was thinking about trying PartitionExpert but since you're advising not to ... (by the way for what reasons do you advise not to use it?)

I don't know either. So far, I've been satisfied with Acronis PartitionExpert. I think there was an earlier version that was a bit buggy, but the latest has been working fine so far...

There is also a partitioning product by Paragon which supports Windows 2003. As far as I know, those are the only such two products that exist for now.

OK th@nx Merlin, in that case I think I'll first try PartitionExpert before starting all over and do a new install. By the way, could you tell me if PE can handle dynamic discs (where you can merge two partitions into one driver-letter etc.)?

Again th@nx for the quick reply :)

After installing and running PartitionExpert, I have to say it doesn't work very well and would recommend against using it on Server 2003.

I was working with an unformmated unpartitioned 60GB hard drive, after taking a quick look on Maxtors site, I found it makes alot more sense to use Windows built in formatting and partitioning tools, they have a user friendly GUI and looks about that same as PartitionExpert.

Accessing Disk Management and partitioning the drive:

1. Right-click on "My Computer".

2. Select "Manage"

3. In the new window, Computer Management, select "Disk Management" and voila, your greeted with all the user friendly hard drive tools you need.

I formatted and partitioned my second hard drive without any difficulty.

Can i get to that or a similar program in windows xp?