SATA/RAID Integration Question

Blyster

Was just thinking about how the SATA/RAID integration happens in XPCreate. The only reason we are adding the OemPnPDriversPath to point to the folder containing the SATA/RAID drivers is in order for Windows to have the correct drivers when it starts up right? XPCreate copies the only file needed for the text setup portion into i386 correct? Just trying to get a little clarification for myself.

Thanks

Blyster

I too am wondering about this. and I'm also wondering if you can put in 2 sets of drivers? I have the Si3112 and the intel on my motherboard (Abit IC7-G) and was hoping i could get both installed in the text portion of the setup.

the OemPnPDriversPath is not necessarily for Textsetup, but for GUISetup and afterwards...

the driver copied as you said is just typically the dll, but the other files are neccesary for normal operation in Windows. When you add the card in windows, and then do the add new hardware wizard, it copies more then just the dll for the card to work right. The OemPnPDriversPath does this automatically.

I too am wondering about this. and I'm also wondering if you can put in 2 sets of drivers?

Yes, you can integrate as many RAID/SATA controller drivers as you like for sure.

how would you do that?

multiple OemPnPDriversPath's? and like this?

$OEM$\drivers\sata\si

$OEM$\drivers\sata\intel

how would you do that?

$OEM$\drivers\sata\si

$OEM$\drivers\sata\intel

Exactly, and just make the proper modifications in the winnt.sif file at the OemPnPDriversPath

Blyster

• 3 weeks later...
how would you do that?

$OEM$\drivers\sata\si

$OEM$\drivers\sata\intel

Exactly, and just make the proper modifications in the winnt.sif file at the OemPnPDriversPath

Blyster

Excuse my ignorance, but new to this SATA thingie :)!

I have the following -

$OEM$\$1\DRIVERS\SATA [drivers placed here]

Please note the $1

In WINNT.SIF I put the following -

OemPnPDriversPath="DRIVERS\SATA"
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

I tested this on MS Virtual PC, so I guess I wont get any confirmation if the intergration was sucessful or not. Is there a way to verify this, without actually doing a "live" test. Any clarification would be most helpful!

Thanks in advance.

You are correct, shareef59, the drivers should be in the $OEM$\$1\DRIVERS\ subdirectory, contrary to the web site documentation. The only "verification" you can get in VPC, is to look at the bottom status line during text mode setup, and see if the drivers show just before copying files. It is, however, easy to miss, and can hardly be considered a valid test, as such. You still need to test live, but you can run setup on your existing box, see if you can choose a partition on the SATA controller, and abort the installatoin before any changes are made to your hard disk.