Windows Server 2008 R2 extremely slow

nickman

We recently installed a Windows Server 2008 R2 (64) [Dell R720, RAID 10, 32 GB]. Initially the performance was fine with one SQL Server 2008 R2 (64) and a Tomcat 6 (64) installation.

Then the server started to become slower. At first we assumed something to be wrong with the NIC drivers (Broadcom BACS), so we upgraded their firmware, and the drivers, which seemed to have helped.

But now, after some time (about two months) we're back in the same place. Starting Firefox takes about one minute, EVERYTHING is awfully slow.

Checked so far:

1) perfmon shows peaks but nothing special

2) procmon (following FF's start) shows no indication

3) Latest patches/hotfixes installed

Is there anyone out there experiencing similar problems on the above-described hardware?

Edited by nickman

Install the WPT (http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=146919), run this command from a cmd.exe which is started as admin:

xperf -start perf!GeneralProfiles.InBuffer && timeout -1 && xperf -stop perf!GeneralProfiles.InBuffer GenTrace.etl

and start Firefox. After you captured the slow start, press a key to stop logging, zip the GenTrace.etl (only this file, not the 2 other temp files!!!), upload it (skydrive,dropbox) and send me the link via PM.

I don't really have an idea. YOu have a lot of DPC/ISR usage.

hal.dll!HalpHpetProgramRolloverTimer = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Precision_Event_Timer

try to turn this HPET off (BIOS/UEFI) and look if this makes the server faster,

Firefox is busy because of JS calls, but I need a trace of the nightly version of Firefox which has better stacks.

Check your standby ram. I find my ram cache holds junk I don't need anymore, flushes slowly for some reason once I reach zero available free memory and this seems to help.

http://www.google.com/search?as_qdr=all&num=100&q=EmptyStandbyList.exe+magicandre1981

@andre, would this be possible to be re-written to Powershell, where would I start looking if I wanted to re-create the effect via script. FYI, looked in the source codes of wj32's process hacker, it's a big project not sure what I am looking for, or if it can even be manipulated via powershell, what you think ?

Edited by MrJinje

Just an intermediate report:

0) Behavior as described - slow.

1) Checked with Dell, executed DSET (their test tool).

2) Behavior after execution of DSET changed => fast

3) Dell couldn't find any problems in the report generated by DSET, i.e. on our maschine

4) Communicating with Dell in order to obtain info about what is contained in DSET (would like to do that myself, by UniExtract 1.6.61 failed me on this exe; will upgrade to 1.77 and report again)

On RAID 10, in-maschine.

1) Meanwhile I received a list of updates (including the RAID backplane firmware) that I will install soon.

2) Addendum: DSET, once run, leaves behind a MSI packet (which can be easily extracted), containing a lot of Python PYCs plus some few EXEs. If my observations were correct (cmp. item 2 above), either one of this Python libs or one of the EXEs should have been the - positive - culprit.

Will report back...

Thanks for all your input. Meanwhile the system is back to normal (so far at least) after I installed the firmware update for the H710 SAS RAID controller (SAS-RAID_Firmware_C1VYX_WN32_21.2.0-0007_A04.EXE)

For the DSET report: The Dell technician didn't find anything special.