USB 3.0 stick compatibility with USB 1.1

j7n

I see USB 3.0 flash memory on sale and it's been replacing USB 2.0. Most of the models state compatibility with 2.0, as expected, but few mention 1.1.

I am in need of USB drives that work in old Win98 PCs. Are all new drives backwards compatible down to USB 1.1?

I have Patriot and Kingston pendrives and a WD MyPassport, all USB 3.0, all work with Win 98SE /NUSB and all report being "USB 2.1" in my machine, which means USB 2.0 compatibility mode. So, compatible with 98/ME (with NUSB) they sure are. They are also noticeably fast on 2.1 mode, better than any native USB 2.0 drive. Now, they all claim to be USB 1.1 compatible (and maybe report being in "USB 1.2" mode) but this I cannot check because I don't have any USB 1.x only hardware anymore, so I cannot test it.

I'm sure there's a more official story behind it...

Depending on choices made by the manufacturer, a particular USB 3.0 device may or may not work properly on a computer or other host that was designed for USB 1.1, even though the plugs and receptacles physically connect to each other. In other words, USB 3.0 devices are allowed to be backward compatible with USB 1.1, but are not required to be so.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/termsu/g/usb-1-1.htm

@j7n

Is that for "booting from USB"?

It is very possible that by using a "common" USB external hub you can bypass the issue (but possibly won't be able to boot from those sticks).

Those thingies (the hubs I mean) are normally 1.1 and 2.0 compatible.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

A Kingston DT111 (ven. 0951, dev. 1666) finally arrived. It's working well with PIIX4 and ICH1 with USP3. Everest on the old computers identifies the device as USB 2.1. I'll order a couple more of these.

I'll keep in mind that I can try a hub for newer devices. The purpose of these media is only file transfer. We still have a couple Pentium III office machines where I put the unofficial service pack on (but replacing the computers is not my call), and I own a retro gaming machine with a Mendocino Celeron.