Crash during LAN copy

Ambassador

Sometimes when copying fairly large files over the Network from an XP computer, I'll get strange bluescreens with no consistent error. I do have the latest Minidump from such a crash; here's the bluescreen output of said dump:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damageto your computer.The problem seems to be caused by the following file: Ntfs.sysNTFS_FILE_SYSTEMIf this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen,restart your computer. If this screen appears again, followthese steps:Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturerfor any Windows updates you might need.If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardwareor software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restartyour computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and thenselect Safe Mode.Technical Information:*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00000000001904fb, 0xfffff88008603b08, 0xfffff88008603360,0xfffff88001896516)*** Ntfs.sys - Address 0xfffff88001896516 base at 0xfffff88001821000 DateStamp0x5167f5fc

Any help would be appreciated. :) It's not a very reassuring system that crashes on random.

SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, 6 GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics (i3 M350), WD 750 GBit Black Hard Drive, K42F-A1 Asus. Jmicron LAN

P.S. I did find this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2519736, which I don't think applies here because it's a different error, though I do tend to hibernate a fair bit.

Well, NTFS.SYS (in itself) it is a "stable enough" driver.

It is more likely that it reflects - under stress - a misbehaviour of the hardware (RAM or hard disk or it's controller, or even just the SATA cable :unsure: or of the network, though the latter is less probable).

Try to not use hibernation for a few days and see if the behaviour remains.

jaclaz

Well, NTFS.SYS (in itself) it is a "stable enough" driver.

It is more likely that it reflects - under stress - a misbehaviour of the hardware (RAM or hard disk or it's controller, or even just the SATA cable :unsure: or of the network, though the latter is less probable).

Try to not use hibernation for a few days and see if the behaviour remains.

jaclaz

OK, will do. Is there anything more from the minidump that might be useful in determining a cause?

• 2 months later...