Removing Older Windows Security Updates ?

Monroe

Would like some input or opinions dealing with removing (uninstalling) older MS XP Security updates that are still on my computer. I am mainly interested in the older "cumulative security updates" for Internet Explorer 8 that have built up over the months. Every month there is usually a new IE 8 cumulative security update released and since it is "cumulative" ... could all those "older" IE 8 updates be removed from time to time or remove the older one each month before installing the newer IE 8 cumulative update?

I would probably leave all the other security updates alone ... unless someone has an opinion on any of them also.

I don't need hard drive space ... just looking around to clean "unneeded" stuff off the hard drive.

thanks ...

Just to add ... since there seems to have been some bad updates in the last two months, I am not installing them for awhile but I still download them to have on hand. I have been installing only the IE 8 Cumulative update and Root Certificates Update for Windows XP (August 2013) for now. I had to reinstall the bad update from July ... Windows Media Format Runtime 9.5 for Windows XP (KB2834902) that was released Aug 27th ... so I am holding off on putting anymore updates on my computer through April 2014 and then maybe in May or June 2014 all those "final" updates should be "OK" ... just my thinking. I do not want to mess up my XP setup going into these last months or so ... I have an image backup with the July updates installed so I have something to fall back on.

Edited by duffy98

You can and should delete old uninstallers once your sure things are running smoothly. There's a tool for just that task. Unfortunately it doesn't do IE8 updates. You have to delete those manually then open add remove and try to uninstall them...an error will pop up and asks you if you want to remove the entry. Just say yes and your add remove will be cleaned up.

The IE8 updates are in Windows\ie8updates.

The tool for the rest can be downloaded @ http://www.tech-pro.net/windows-update-remover.html.

Thanks -X- for the reply ... I have the Windows XP Update Remover already installed, came across that program several months back and yes you are right, it doesn't remove the IE 8 Cumulative updates. I don't plan on fooling around with any other older updates at this time ... just the IE 8 updates. I think I am correct in thinking that "cumulative" means that all the fixes / changes are carried forward in each new monthly IE 8 Cumulative update. I just didn't think all those older IE 8 updates are needed on the hard drive as newer updates are released.

I plan on removing those updates and probably making a new image backup of everything after a few software updates.