Program to lock files on your flash drive.

Shayne

You're welcome, and thank YOU for doing this. It's an interesting idea and I'll keep watching it!

I, too, was curious what would happen if you plugged a flash drive, protected this way, into a Linux machine.

Maybe one could encrypt the file and then apply your program to the resulting file, as another layer of protection.

--JorgeA

I'm glad you are interested in my work :) I add encryption yet, but right now I'm working on adding a Start Menu type feature too the program.

Does the GUID/CLSID still show as part of the folder name, like when I do it by hand. Or could you use an .ini file to give the folder a different display name (hiding the clsid from potential googlers).

You know what I mean, like how the desktop.ini can give off a name from a string located in a DLL.

From my "Documents" folder.

[.ShellClassInfo]LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21770

Does the GUID/CLSID still show as part of the folder name, like when I do it by hand. Or could you use an .ini file to give the folder a different display name (hiding the clsid from potential googlers).

You know what I mean, like how the desktop.ini can give off a name from a string located in a DLL.

From my "Documents" folder.

[.ShellClassInfo]LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21770

I tried using a desktop.ini file, however I couldn't get it to make any changes to a folder. Maybe there's something I'm missing?

I've also added a start menu like feature to the program. :)

BTxtCvxCAAAWhmv.png

Edited by Shayne

Here is my new trick to hide ugly GUID file names in pseudo locked folders. With your desktop.ini and your customized string resource name, set the folder attributes to system hidden.

attrib +s +h B:\Locker.{2559a1f2-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}

to unhide again.

attrib -s -h B:\Locker.{2559a1f2-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}

Assuming you are removing their ability to rename the folder, this should create one more hoop for script kitties to jump through

FYI, this wasn't possible in XP, leading to all those complaints in the various threads on google, but this should work on W7 and above.

Edited by MrJinje

You're welcome, and thank YOU for doing this. It's an interesting idea and I'll keep watching it!

I, too, was curious what would happen if you plugged a flash drive, protected this way, into a Linux machine.

Maybe one could encrypt the file and then apply your program to the resulting file, as another layer of protection.

--JorgeA

I'm glad you are interested in my work :) I add encryption yet, but right now I'm working on adding a Start Menu type feature too the program.

No need to add encryption to your program. The security-conscious among us already know that they can encrypt their files :), what's cool is the file-locking and -hiding features that you're facilitating!

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Here is my new trick to hide ugly GUID file names in pseudo locked folders. With your desktop.ini and your customized string resource name, set the folder attributes to system hidden.

attrib +s +h B:\Locker.{2559a1f2-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}

to unhide again.

attrib -s -h B:\Locker.{2559a1f2-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}

Assuming you are removing their ability to rename the folder, this should create one more hoop for script kitties to jump through

FYI, this wasn't possible in XP, leading to all those complaints in the various threads on google, but this should work on W7 and above.

I just tried that and got it too work. Now the CLSID is not visible :) Thanks!!

On second look, there might be an other method that works on XP and possibly W7. Found on an old zenworks post at novell.com Untested by me, report back, don't forget to change to the correct guid.

http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tip/16652.html

REGEDIT4[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{763370C4-268E-4308-A60C-D8DA0342BE32}]"NeverShowExt"=""[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CF8EF420-3DF3-11d0-AC35-00C04FD9338A}]"NeverShowExt"=""
Edited by MrJinje

If you were too plug this into a linux computer, I am not sure what would happen. Obviously the program would not run. But I'm not sure if linux would recognize the NTFS permissions or not.

From my understinad, some Linux releases support NTFS permissions. Which completly destroys the reason for using Linux

On second look, there might be an other method that works on XP and possibly W7. Found on an old zenworks post at novell.com Untested by me, report back, don't forget to change to the correct guid.

http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tip/16652.html

REGEDIT4[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{763370C4-268E-4308-A60C-D8DA0342BE32}]"NeverShowExt"=""[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CF8EF420-3DF3-11d0-AC35-00C04FD9338A}]"NeverShowExt"=""

Okay thanks. I'll take a look at this. :)

Edit: The CLSID does not show up on XP even without trying to hide it.

Edited by Shayne