Optimizing/Removing ISO/Disc Image Redundancy

jetman

Folks:

I have a project disc that I'd like to shrink by a lot. I know there is a great deal of redundancy on the disc. I believe using the correct tool, these redundancies can be optimized away, replacing actual files with links/pointers/whatever. But I can find nothing via Google that will even offer a direction. Then, I remembered MSFN and reasoned someone here has to have obsessed about this subject and knows how to do this.

Thanx in advance....

The equivalent to hardlinks/junctions on NTFS are possible on CD/DVD, whether they are applicable/useful in your "project" (or if other "tricks" can be used) is hard to say without more (many more) details about your "project".

jaclaz

Sure thanks dude. Essentially, the unattended install sub-dir for two Windows setup directory trees (on the same disc) is duplicated file-for-file. The project works perfectly right now, but is close to maxing out DVD-5 space. I believe there is some sort of optimization mechanism/whatever in the ISO std which can optimize away the redundancy via binary file comparison via links/whatever. I've seen something to this effect from time-to-time, but was never able to learn how it worked. I recently read a snippet from a PowerISO README, while GOOGLEing, which suggests something like this. But I don't have PowerISO, nor do I want PowerISO. I suspect one of the Microsoft cmd-line ISO utils has it, but couldn't find anything to directly support that here on MSFN.

Does that clarify enuf ??? Even if it takes an hour or more to pre-master the final ISO, nor prob for me as I will be working on this project very infrequently. Thanx for the use of the brain cells...

Essentially, the unattended install sub-dir for two Windows setup directory trees (on the same disc) is duplicated file-for-file. The project works perfectly right now, but is close to maxing out DVD-5 space.

There are different windows versions with different requirements.

Which windows version do you like to use?

Can you show a file list?

Do you create hardlinks at hard disk?

How do you prepare the ISO so far?

I suspect one of the Microsoft cmd-line ISO utils has it, but couldn't find anything to directly support that here on MSFN.

Oscdimg Command-Line Options http://technet.microsoft.com/library/dd799243.aspx

Optimization Options

Optimization options can be used to optimize storage by encoding duplicate files only one time.

-o Uses an MD5 hashing algorithm to compare files.

It's part of WAIK http://www.microsoft.com/download/details.aspx?id=5753

OSCDIMG 2.55 CD-ROM and DVD-ROM Premastering Utility

Copyright © Microsoft, 1993-2007. All rights reserved.

Licensed only for producing Microsoft authorized content.

CDimage was first and Oscdimg next

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/33529-optimize-iso-limitation/

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/107725-creating-vista-ultimate-boot-dvd-solved/

I like mkisofs still

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/56861-hardlink-on-cd-iso/

@cdob

Thanx. This is my final XP project, following andregascal's Multi-Boot DVD architecture from this very sub. Essentially the two trees shown below are the target(s) of interest:

HOMEOEM|--I386|--$OEM$|      |--$1\INSTALL|PROOEM|--I386|--$OEM$|      |--$1\INSTALL|

$1\INSTALL is completely redundant under both trees and I386 probably has significant duplication as well. I suspect this is the last time I will ever do any work on this project, given XP's EOL is just over six months away. Once in a blue moon, I revisit this idea as I periodically recall a bootleg 10-in-1 Windows setup disc. I never actually used that disc more than once or twice, several jobs ago, but I've never forgotten the hack.

I recently gave up on my own Windows 7 AIO, as the combination of enhanced drivers and slipstreaming of all Windows Updates for each architecture has made that dream permanently impossible.

I don't use hardlinks right now and use IMGBURN for mastering and burning. With the exception of being unable to script the generation of the ISO, IMGBURN is the best CD/DVD burning tool for Windows or Linux. But I will look into OSCDIMG as possible candidate for cooking this special disc.

Thanx for the use of the brain cells...

This is my final XP project

and use IMGBURN for mastering and burning. With the exception of being unable to script the generation of the ISO, IMGBURN is the best CD/DVD burning tool

Especial the burn engine is awesome, best in the world.

And the build engine is good too: ImgBurn offers optimisation

Enable the feature <Build><Optimise Duplicate Files>

This is my final XP project

and use IMGBURN for mastering and burning. With the exception of being unable to script the generation of the ISO, IMGBURN is the best CD/DVD burning tool

Especial the burn engine is awesome, best in the world.

And the build engine is good too: ImgBurn offers optimisation

Enable the feature <Build><Optimise Duplicate Files>

AHA ! :w00t: I looked in primary dialog, but not in the Settings dialog ! Let's give it a try. Thanx again....