Windows Update trouble

mjdbb1

• 3 weeks later...

Looking through Autopatcher, there really are no updates relevant to Windows Update that would suddenly fix whatever problem is going on with Windows Update. In the past if there was an update needed to make the WU site work, it would explain that and offer the download. I've replicated this on two PCs and one virtual machine.

I don't mind doing a clean install and then using Autopatcher, but it's killing me to know why that seems to be the only thing that fixes Windows Update. Anybody notice this behavior, or have any thoughts?

Actually, I had this issue too in doing the install I referenced before, and the patch mentioned in this thread didn't help. What did help however was as you did, going ahead and installing the patch files I had on hand. When I did that, autoupdate took off upon reboot of the OS and installed the rest. What's going on is the infamous svchost.exe is using 99% cpu all the time problem. Several of the sources I found indicate that providing the system a patched MSI.DLL is what fixed the problem (though I can't say which of my patches on hand did that).

• 2 weeks later...

The bottom line is if you just wait long enough you'll get your list of updates and when you install them the trouble will be gone, so there's zero need to install anything unofficial. Patience is a virtue.

Edited by naaloh

I've tried many tips to solve this problem. In my case it was pretty easy, after all: I got Windows Update Agent 3.0 somewhere, installed it after a fresh XP install, and Windows Update became normal again.

I did not used WUA 7.6 nor 7.4, it got fixed after Windows Update itself downloaded the latest WUA... weird, as many things that do happen with MS software !

--ThundernetBR

CPU hits 100% and nothing happens.

Something shall happen if you just find enough patience to wait... or at least to read this thread.

Thank you, yes it worked eventually. I'm running 4 OSes simultaneously on my workstation so I can't have XP hogging the CPU. My Linux host gets updated regularly without fuss or need for reboot.

• 1 month later...

For nearly thirty six hours I have been attempting to reinstall my Windows XP Pro following advice I have gleaned from wherever and always hitting the buffers on Windows Update. You will not have seen me on here before (This is my first entry) and so I'll say Hi to you all. The good news is I have discovered how to do a proper XP Pro install and get Windows Update working as it should. And it will not take longer than about three hours from bare hard drive to fully functional and up to date XP.

Firstly I used a slipstreamed XP + SP3 nlite CD which I have used before. Consequence - no update. I tried this on two different machines with the same outcome. I then tried XP+SP2 (my original MS CD) with even dire consequence since I couldn't get on the Windows Update site come what may. I spent some time studying the MS website and going backwards and forwards between people who seem to have made it work.

And then I staggered upon three little standalone programs from Microsoft called WindowsXP-KB932823-V3-x86-ENU.exe, WindowsInstaller-KB893803-V2-x86.exe, and WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe all on the MS site but perhaps not where you think they should be when Windows Update hangs (and believe me I have left it for hours with no result). Certainly MS do not point you to the right place with all those FIxit things doing bits but not the whole job. You need to download the three named files and save them on a USB drive or stick (they are small) before you start your install. Forget your slipstreamed SP3 and get your bog standard SP2 MS disk and install. Choose not to update Windows Automatically when asked. Once installed then get the drivers for mobo, usb, graphics, sound etc loaded and working. Make sure Windows is stable but shutting down and restarting a couple of times. Now install the three files from the USB drive or stick, they should confirm they are installed. Go to Windows Update and it'll work straight away by giving you all the updates (at speed) until SP3. Install SP3. At this stage you will need help from the WSUS Offline Update since the installation will still cause SP3 to hang. WSUS works very effectively when you choose to install IE8 and XP legacy (which is on the last tab) and will bring your machine up to early November 2013, but, better still you will, if you turn Windows to automatic updates, see that it works as well and at superspeed. Turn Windows Update off again until WSUS finishes installing. When WSUS has done turn Windows Update on and schedule the hour just after present time and watch as automatic updates fire away.

Now of course you could slipstream a disk with the three files on it at SP2 stage and then move to SP3 but you'll still need the help of WSUS to get Windows moving on updates again. WSUS is a little quaint to use but it downloads, verifies and installs fast in two separate stages. It also reboots automatically if you tell it to so you can leave it to do its business.

I hope this is an option some people will try, since you folk tried hard to help me and this is the best way I can repay. My XP has never sung sweeter so MS can go.......

I have now tested the above on two computers and it worked on both but I have been able to load IE8 to allow Windows Update to run post sp3 install.

To summarise this solution:

1. Obtain copies of the three files listed in my original post and save them to an external drive or usb memory stick.

Windows XP-KB932823-V3-x86-ENU.exe, WindowsInstaller-KB893803-V2-x86.exe, and WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe

2. Install XP with original MS XP up to SP2 disk.

3. Load drivers for motherboard, sound, graphics etc and ensure Windows is stable. Turn automatic updates off.

4. Install the three files in 1) above.

5. Run Windows update manually in Express mode until (and including) SP3 (Note: the updates between SP2 and SP3 are critical) .

6. Obtain upgrade copy of IE8 from MS website (it may resist at first but persist and you'll get to the correct upgrade dialogue).

7. Turn on automatic updates and obtain remaining updates to date.

8. Set daily updates at xxxx time to check the auto updating works.

9. Your XP install will now work fine.

FYI - The version mentioned in the thread "7.6.7600.257" is the latest Windows Update Agent. The one you mentioned "WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe" is the older one.

Have you seen this before? http://xdot.tk/updates.html

Edit - The first two listed -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932823 <-in SP3

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893803 <-apparently not in SP3 (just a newer Installer)

Bottom line,

1 - Slip SP3, burn to CD

2 - Install to HDD (or wherever) while disconnected from Internet (or disable AU)

3 - Install Drivers (if not slipstreamed)

4 - Install latest WU (the LATEST one!)

5 - Go to WU

IE7 or IE8 work just fine. IE8 is Recommended and included in the link I gave above fro a Complete Slipstream using nLite.

Sir, you have confused the initial problem with "test scenarios". The OLDER WUA included in SP3 will not work as expected and has caused problems, hence the suggestion to use the Newer Package, OR the one you used. The "fixes" you mention (other than WUA) are not relevant. ALWAYS slipstream at minimum the SP3 as a matter of common sense.

List of SP3 Included Fixes -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946480

Edited by submix8c

Myself never had any problem with Windows Updates (I have an OEM version of Windows XP SP2 though - which I patch with SP3 and IE8 before updating, I don't know if it can make any difference). The only problem is that when I select "Custom" instead of "Critical" update the Windows Update Agent finds the critical updates and then - as I discovered by checking the related logs - it does all the job from the begining to find the critical updates - again - and the optional ones! That of course even doubles the required time. Does anyone know why it happens and if it can be avoided?