Shell32 Details Pane Mod for Windows 8.1 Only!

MrGRiM

Btw soon after installing the patch, I got a DPC Watchdog violation BSOD which until now I never got after 7 days of use of 8.1. So I am wondering if the patch can be responsible.

Well it's possible I guess, never had a problem on the VM but maybe it could also be a bad driver that needs updating for 8.1 I never seen that type of BSOD before so I Googled it and found some info.

What causes DPC Watchdog Violations?

Several things can cause a DPC Watchdog Violation to be triggered in Windows 8. One of the most common is an SSD drive that has old firmware not supported by Windows 8. Another likely cause is an outdated driver for one of your hardware components. For example, if your sound card driver does not support Windows 8, simply plugging in a set of headphones could produce a DPC Watchdog Violation error. While not as common, software installations that affect your system software could also lead to DPC Watchdog Violations and the corresponding blue screen of death.

How do I fix DPC Watchdog Violations?

If the errors are hardware related, the best thing to do is update the firmware of your components and the associated drivers. Firmware and driver updates are usually available in either the Support or Downloads section of most hardware manufacturers websites. If the errors are software related, you can either reinstall the program(s) you may think may have started producing the errors or use Windows' "System Restore" function to fix potential system software issues.

If you have tried the above options and you still are experiencing DPC Watchdog Violation errors, you can use "Action Center," a control panel available in both Windows 7 and Windows 8. This panel displays important system messages and provides recommendations on how to resolve problems. If you still have errors after using Action Center, they may be caused by faulty hardware. If this is the case, you may need to have your PC examined by a technician who can diagnose what component needs to be replaced.

FYI, Didn't know the shell32.dll was linked to the Metro apps but when I added my patched shell32 to my 8.1 UA Install my Metro apps no longer worked and couldn't be found but as long as I do a Post install of the patch no issue..

• 1 month later...

Had to install the patch again after the GA Rollup A but still works :thumbup but App store installs breaks I think and start giving a 0x80070241 error.

Not been able to test that yet as I think you need an activated OS for the App store don't you?

Edit: just restored the shell32.dll and still have the same error, I think this is an activation problem, if you already had the apps installed on a Windows 8 account I think those apps get installed but it wont let you install any new apps until you have genuine or KMS activation, anyone else able to confirm this?

Edited by MrGRiM

but App store installs breaks I think and start giving a 0x80070241 error.

this caused by the patching:

C:\Users\André>err 0x80070241# as an HRESULT: Severity: FAILURE (1), FACILITY_WIN32 (0x7), Code 0x241# for hex 0x241 / decimal 577  ERROR_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH                                       winerror.h# Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file.# A recent hardware or software change might have installed a# file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might# be malicious software from an unknown source.# 1 matches found for "0x80070241"

this breaks the digital signature.

• 3 weeks later...

but App store installs breaks I think and start giving a 0x80070241 error.

this caused by the patching:

C:\Users\André>err 0x80070241# as an HRESULT: Severity: FAILURE (1), FACILITY_WIN32 (0x7), Code 0x241# for hex 0x241 / decimal 577  ERROR_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH                                       winerror.h# Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file.# A recent hardware or software change might have installed a# file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might# be malicious software from an unknown source.# 1 matches found for "0x80070241"

this breaks the digital signature.

This is the same error I got, samesame, on my fully-activated copy, which I commented to MrGrim about at his deviantART upload of this mod.

Look at my comment there, and his reply: http://mrgrim01.deviantart.com/art/Shell32-Details-Pane-Mod-for-Windows-8-1-Only-397884520

ELs6V3Y.png

• 4 weeks later...