XP vs XP Pro x64 Edition

GH0st

I ran into a peculiar problem when I installed a Gigabyte motherboard with AMD APU (cpu) and dual boot. I wasn't able to get the integrated NIC to work under XP but no problems under WIn 7. Gigabyte confirmed that the Richland version of APU's didn't work under XPSP3 (Well everything else seemed to work ok)  but I presume Trinity would be ok. Since XP-46 wasn't mentioned I thought that might be a solution although I never had any luck installing XP 64 - I always get a blue screen warning and have no clue what I could to to overcome that. Sata drivers missing?

But I found a workaround: Use the onboard NIC for Win 7 and a PCI bus board for XP. Luckily I had a spare RJ45 socket already on the wall.

With an SSD drive, booting is fast enough and the computer is virtually noiseless.

Don't know much about the future; would like to take a peek at XP's SP4 ;) 

I'm using WinXP x64 for over a year and I do not have any problems with him :-)

• support more RAM
  • support hardware DEP
  • fast encoding video
  • fast compress files (ZIP, RAR)

Some of the applications I use x64 version and the rest in x86

Edited by Maniek

• 1 month later...

I've used XP64 for a few months on a custom built PC (an Intel D101ggc board with Intel Pentium D 945 3.4ghz cpu, 2Gb of DDR1 SDRAM and 120Gb hard drive) and have no serious problems.  one exception is the Hewlett-Packard (HP) Officejet 6500A Plus printer driver which did not install nor function on XP64 because it's not supported [but does support XP32, Vista32, Vista64 & higher] (d**n HP) - there are a handful of HP printers with drivers that won't support XP64 but do support XP32.  on the other hand, my other printer (a Lexmark Impact S301) has drivers that do support XP64.

Edited by erpdude8

I've used XP64 for a few months on a custom built PC (an Intel D101ggc board with Intel Pentium D 945 3.4ghz cpu, 2Gb of DDR1 SDRAM and 120Gb hard drive) and have no serious problems.  one exception is the Hewlett-Packard (HP) Officejet 6500A Plus printer driver which did not install nor function on XP64 because it's not supported [but does support XP32, Vista32, Vista64 & higher] (d**n HP) - there are a handful of HP printers with drivers that won't support XP64 but do support XP32.  on the other hand, my other printer (a Lexmark Impact S301) has drivers that do support XP64.

Yes, the only downside is the lack of WinXP x64 drivers for older hardware like scanner, printer. But your printer drivers is OJ6500_E710n-z_Basic_x64_231.exe or HPUFDDriver.zip. You checked these? Besides, try drivers for Vista x64.