~ merge two spreadsheets with one sheet each into a new one based on m

office13broken

***SOLVED ***

it's been solved.....

the solution from easiest to hardest are:

vlookup
www.asap-utilities.com/download-asap-utilities-free.php?file=1 (doesn't work for excel 2013 64 bit though :/
ms access

sorry i could not explain it better.... thank you..

*** OP ***

hey im trying to do hobby project and i have this really big problem: im trying to merge two spreadsheets with one sheet each into a new one. they should be merged based on matching ids in column A1:A1000, so the outcome would not have duplicated ids.

im assuming this is a common need but i couldn't find anything for excel 2013

please advise. link to a good video guide would be helpful and good.

Edited by office13broken

THANKS SO MUCH!! i found what i needed --

i needed to know what the word 'consolidate' in excel meant. this is by labels, so 'top row' and left column'

just curious, would vlookup be easier for this? or would be the same?

this is for making a map!

Edited by office13broken

It depends of what you want to do.

A "report" sheet made using vlookup and similar functions is "dynamic" and "connected" to the source worksheet(s).

Any change in the source will be "reflected" on the "report" sheet, you can have as many "report" sheets as you want, each one highlighting some fields or having fields in a given order, sorting them, etc.

In this case you would be using Excel as a "poor man's" database, where you have one or more sheets (separated or connected among them) containing "raw data" and one or more "report" sheets allowing to sort/visualize the data in any given form.

The use of consolidating functions built-in in Excel is a (very limited) subset of what you can do "manually".

jaclaz

it's just data from A-C1 : A-C1000

the same as the sheet you want to merge with

only difference is A2:A1000 would have similar ids/labels so the id would need to match upon merge and not be duplicated

the first post describes what the problem is though. it never mentions anything about dynamic and all these other things

i don't know what you mean by 'report' sheet because this is for making a map

but making a map has nothing to do with the problem, just letting you know was all

Edited by office13broken

Look, you asked for advice, I gave some to you.

Please provide some example data.

You do not follow this advice, I cannot provide you with further ones.

I need an example actually a sample of the EXACT, SAME data you are working with, to be able to provide quickly (and hopefully) a solution to your issue.

Please do cooperate in taking the §@ç#ing guessing :w00t::ph34r: out of the equation:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.deboynepollard/FGA/problem-report-standard-litany.html

Remember that is you that have the problem and someone else, in his/her spare time and for free, is trying to help you, why not making the life of this someone a little bit easier? :unsure:

jaclaz