Aero Glass for Win8 1.3

AERO GLASS for Win8 v1.1

As some users were requesting, I've implemented algorithm to generate gaussian blur offsets and weights:
* you can change blur deviation in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM:BlurDeviation (DWORD, default = 30)

* do not set it too high (low performance) or too low (glitchy look)
* setting blur deviation to 0 will result in transparent non-blurry frames

When you upgrade your CPU, you can now generate new additional license for free.

Edited by bigmuscle

You'll never learn will you? Instead of taking criticism you will just tell everyone to pis of even though these ideas aren't THAT drastic. Seriously if you want to sell it then why'd you make it as painful as possible?

And I agree with the previous users.

How is it painful? That you donate how much you want and you get number of free licenses adequate to your donation? Maybe I should create phone hotline to reactive your license as some big companies have?

Unless you'll improve the DRM then I'm not "donating"(buying) this, because I upgrade my PC very often and anything that ties to my HW has no place on my PC.

And this is what I was talking about. Aero Glass license is tied with HDD, I doubt that you change your HDD even once a year (and if you do that's the reason why you have available more licenses to use) - it is just creating non-existing problem.

BM makes a point about total commander - yes it has a 3 button choice but once bought the software is open - it can go on any pc without any fuss and the author has done free upgrades from day one - hardly the same

Total Commander was just an example of one software where user must click something every startup. To get rid of that, he must pay 32€ per license (for this value, you would get 21 licenses for Aero Glass). In case of Stardock products, the license is valid for one year only then you must renew. Every software has its policy and if user does not agree to it, he is not allowed to use the software.

I have no problem to accept criticism. But I must take it easy due to my experience from the past. Many users who criticize would not donate at all, they just create long essays which could be shortened to "give me full version for free".

Edited by bigmuscle

AERO GLASS for Win8 v1.1

As some users were requesting, I've implemented algorithm to generate gaussian blur offsets and weights:

* you can change blur deviation in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM:BlurDeviation (DWORD, default = 30)

When you upgrade your CPU, you can now generate new additional license for free.

What about some sort of gui or options panel where we can change options in realtime?

Thanks for additional license on changing CPU, it's right step. HDD+MB+CPU is most rare upgrade.

Change version of program on site ) from 1.0 to 1.1. And maybe, make a changelog on the site or news?

What about some sort of gui or options panel where we can change options in realtime?

Actually, I don't want to create GUI just because there is nothing important to be set. Everything can be via classic control panel. But on the other side, the number of options increases so I will probably rethink that. The problem is that some options cannot be applied in real time because it depends when DWM sets the value (e.g. inactive frame color is applied only when window is made inactive and not everytime it is refreshed/moved/etc.)

Change version of program on site ) from 1.0 to 1.1. And maybe, make a changelog on the site or news?

Where is the wrong version? Main page contains "Current version: 1.1", did I forget to change somewhere else?

Yes, changelog will be there when I reorganize download page, together with custom theme resources.

btw, I changed the licensing statement on the website a bit to be more clear that my software is not licensed by something written on wikipedia.

Edited by bigmuscle

AERO GLASS for Win8 v1.1

Thanks for the update BM, this was a feature I really wanted as well from the very start, to have a way of turning Blur off, although I still wouldn't mind having a way to turn off the colorization as well, not that I have checked out this update yet so maybe that's already the case with the blur turned off, thanks for the update anyway mate, I will donate another 12 euro just for this :)

Edited by MrGRiM

If it's tied to HDD then what exactly happens when I have 2 HDDs(1TB+500GB)? If I take the second one out because it screws up then nothing happens? I doubt that. I prefer when I buy something it stays with me forever like if I buy game on Steam then it doesn't magically dissapear.

And good on you adding the options to FAQ page. Didn't know some of them are still used.

Edited by Blackbird256

AERO GLASS for Win8 v1.1

Thanks for the update BM, this was a feature I really wanted as well from the very start, to have a way of turning Blur off, although I still wouldn't mind having a way to turn off the colorization as well, not that I have checked out this update yet so maybe that's already the case with the blur turned off, thanks for the update anyway mate, I will donate another 12 euro just for this :)

Colorization can be turned off easily by lowering Intensity slider to minimum (in control panel). It can be done even via registry but I don't remember the exact value (I guess there is something like EnableWindowColorization).

Where is the wrong version? Main page contains "Current version: 1.1", did I forget to change somewhere else?

Sorry. i just don't refresh main page of your site )))

Yes, it sometimes takes some time before changes are visible, berlios probably caches the pages.

If it's tied to HDD then what exactly happens when I have 2 HDDs(1TB+500GB)? If I take the second one out because it screws up then nothing happens? I doubt that. I prefer when I buy something it stays with me forever like if I buy game on Steam then it doesn't magically dissapear.

And good on you adding the options to FAQ page. Didn't know some of them are still used.

Unless you take out the HDD where your OS is installed then nothing happens. It just depends on the main system HDD.

Btw, how many custom theme resources are we able to collect? I should realize my old plan to make custom themes gallery on my website. I know some of you already sent your themes in old RC4 topic but it's pain in the a** to search for something in there.

You've no doubt seen the one I've created, at the end of page 3. It's yours for the publishing. Enjoy!

-Noel

It seems that your resource works even in Win8.1 :-)

Moderator Note: This is a warning to all.

I have removed all complaining posts and pointless bloat from this Topic. (Almost ⅓ of Topic total)

If you don't like the way that the Developer has decided to nag for donations, don't install it and complain here.

If posts are removed and you complain about it, as stated in the rules the board Moderators may take action against you.

I would really like to know what "symbols" are and also the "swatches" option during install. Funny I had version 1 installed and after downloading 1.1, windows (smartscreen) refuse to install it. I had to tell him to do it anyway. I don't recall, it ask for the first version. Maybe it is just me.

I would really like to know what "symbols" are and also the "swatches" option during install. Funny I had version 1 installed and after downloading 1.1, windows (smartscreen) refuse to install it. I had to tell him to do it anyway. I don't recall, it ask for the first version. Maybe it is just me.

wow someone else is editing posts here ... big no no. I am out of this forum forever then.

There's a bit of a weird bug on the site when I go to download it. It counts down from 5 and starts downloading at zero, but after that it starts counting down further to negative numbers:

Your download will start in -69 seconds automatically...

Today I've installed VMware Workstation version 10, just released.

Other than in Windows 8 the screen going black during the install of the latest version VMware tools, Aero Glass for Win 8 works perfectly, even with the virtual hardware upgraded to version 10. I just upgraded to Aero Glass for Win 8 version 1.1 and that works fine as well.

The prototype Aero Glass for Windows 8.1 software works great with it as well.

Honestly, VMware Workstation 10 doesn't really seem much different than version 9.

-Noel