Aero Glass for Win8 1.3

don't use the Tweaker, you don't need it

I already deleted its folder, so how do I activate the license now? It still doesn't work.. Sorry I should have mentioned, that I already deleted it.

Thanks, BM. This looks awesome! So what risk is there if I only use appinit_Dlls for this only? If I wake up one morning and my screen is black, can I just turn secure boot back on, and it won't load the glass? I just don't want to take chances with my brand new Surface Pro.

Thanks, BM. This looks awesome! So what risk is there if I only use appinit_Dlls for this only? If I wake up one morning and my screen is black, can I just turn secure boot back on, and it won't load the glass? I just don't want to take chances with my brand new Surface Pro.

I don't know answer to your question. Aero Glass does not cause black screens - it's users who install unsupported 3rd-party tweakers etc. who is responsible for black screens. And I'm not going to provide any support for any kind of tweakers etc.

Hello,

new to this software. Tried it and looks cool. Good job. I don't know if Microsoft was just plain stupid or lazy to drop AERO in W8. I vote for the first ...

A few questions as I want to donate.

- what is the chance of Microsoft breaking it after an update. Can we count on you to produce a new version asap ?

- what is all that WDM symbols business ? What's that ?

- to donate you ask for a zip code. It doesn't exist in Canada, Will a postal code works ?

As an advise, for your nifty little mod to become main stream, your site has to be a lot more newbie friendly. Your download + guide are frightening for users.

Thanks

Hello,

new to this software. Tried it and looks cool. Good job. I don't know if Microsoft was just plain stupid or lazy to drop AERO in W8. I vote for the first ...

A few questions as I want to donate.

- what is the chance of Microsoft breaking it after an update. Can we count on you to produce a new version asap ?

- what is all that WDM symbols business ? What's that ?

- to donate you ask for a zip code. It doesn't exist in Canada, Will a postal code works ?

As an advise, for your nifty little mod to become main stream, your site has to be a lot more newbie friendly. Your download + guide are frightening for users.

Thanks

Hello, there is always a small risk that any future Windows update breaks something but Aero Glass is coded in that way to minimize this risk. As I wrote above:

Aero Glass needs to find the exact memory location where the code needs to be injected. Normally, it automatically searches for this location, but if Windows update breaks something and the location cannot be found, you must specify the location by other way. And public symbols can be used for it. In such case, AeroGlass loads symbols from <your aero glass folder>\symbols folder and if not found, they are downloaded from Microsoft symbol server. However, free version does not support symbols servers thus you must download them manually.

ZIP code is just for authenticating the user (to ensure that some spam robot does not try random e-mail addresses), just fill in the postal code which is associated with your PayPal account.

I am very interested in this project (just saw it on neowin.net) I am wondering how windows 8.1 support is coming along (I am switching all my PC's to 8.1 this month since I have had good experiences with it on my surface pro) How would one get an invite to the 8.1 version of this software? Do I have to donate first? does this work with the RTM version of 8.1? (build 9600)

Please follow this topic http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/163570-aero-glass-for-win81-preview-prototype/ for Windows 8.1. It's for 8.1 Preview only but when alpha/beta/whatever for RTM is ready, it will be mentioned in that topic. Current status is that the basic concept is almost ready (without additional features such as custom theme resource, inactive frame colors etc.) with one glitch which I need to resolve first.

I understand if it reminds you once to donate but every time you boot? Then you delayed the popup so it will show up while you doing something? This just puts me off from donating at all. This is not how free to use donation software is done. This is nag ware. I will wait for someone to crack it or develop a non-greedy alternative.

I understand if it reminds you once to donate but every time you boot?

What would be the sense then? Would you really donate when the version has no restrictions at all? I doubt...

Then you delayed the popup so it will show up while you doing something?

The popup was delayed because users were asking for this - not to display it on login screen but delay for several minutes.

Btw, how many custom theme resources are we able to collect? I should realize my old plan to make custom themes gallery on my website. I know some of you already sent your themes in old RC4 topic but it's pain in the a** to search for something in there.

Btw, how many custom theme resources are we able to collect? I should realize my old plan to make custom themes gallery on my website. I know some of you already sent your themes in old RC4 topic but it's pain in the a** to search for something in there.

You've no doubt seen the one I've created, at the end of page 3. It's yours for the publishing. Enjoy!

-Noel

The main problem is that people are creating non-existent problems. They are trying to make some implications from something. They behave like they boot their computer ten-times per day and that one message box makes their computer totally unusable. I already fulfilled users' requirement made during RC phase (to provide popup-less version for small fee) and as a bonus I also decreased popup interval to one at boot. And wtf? They are demanding more and more. It's always "It would be better to do this way" and if I do it that way, they complain again. Next time, they will criticize that free version stops working when first Windows update breaks something or that they cannot change HDD twice a day or something similar.

There are many applications which behave in very similar way. For example, Total Commander makes you click on the dialog every startup (and what worse, the button has always different position), old XP Stardock programs such as WindowBlinds or ObjectDock didn't display anything unless you clicked the "XXX days remaining" at every boot, some applications have countdown and you cannot click the message until the timer reaches zero, and more. Yes, there are some big differences - these applications are very often time-limited, you must often pay fairly big fixed value and brings many other limitations (e.g. you cannot apply glass in free WindowBlinds on XP) etc. So ok, if you don't like my licensing, I will change it to the state of commercial software - message at startup + no more glass after 30 days + 30€ payment. Is it fair now? Would you rather use limited glass for 30 days and then would be completely forced to pay else you cannot use the software anymore?

So let summarize current licensing of Aero Glass:

a) This software is copyrighted work protected by copyright law and EULA. If you don't agree with EULA, you are not allowed to install this software.

b) This software is free in the sense that you can use it for unlimited time, on unlimited number of computers and for personal and business use. No restrictions in the use.

c) Paypal donation system is used to support the development and you get access to advanced features by donating (and removing the startup message is one of those features).

d) The price for this software is not fixed and you can pay how much you want except some micropayments which are non-fair to legitime donators.

So, if anyone wants to make some false implications, start reading again from the point a).

... or maybe, I should again start considering making this software private? If users don't like it, why should it be released to public?

Edited by bigmuscle