OS Compatibility

Torchizard

3 hours ago, rloew said:

No. I am replying only to your previous post.

I was not referring to any specific program, just the description "DOS ISO".

An USB will boot as A: or C: depending on how it is configured.

The El-Torito Emulation will map a Floppy Emulation to Drive 0, as in the Windows 9x CD, a Hard Disk Emulation to Drive 0x80, or nothing if in "No Emulation" mode as in Windows NT CDs.
IO.SYS maps Drive 0 to A: and 0x80 to C:.

Only the ISO part is mapped to the CD Driver specified Letter.

Some things default to the Boot Drive, it takes careful handling to avoid Boot Drive references.

There was some post thought after all the Ramdrive discussion and what unique advantages your Ramdisk has.

I mentioned it more detail in my last post.  But DOSBOX itself takes care of the need for the DOS ISO idea.  I also realized that the DOSBOX can be installed to the Ramdrive and the DOS programs so in fact it already can run in a larger 29GB Ramdrive in essence.

But as far as all the testing of Drive Letter of the Optical drive.  You can easily confirm what drive letter the optical drive gets assigned.  Set your USB as the first boot device or if you have an optical drive set it to that and reboot while the 98SE CD is still in the drive.  Hit the key when asked so it boots off the CD.  When it starts loading just hit the F8 key and go to Command Prompt mode where it should load the CD-rom driver and finally get to the command prompt.  You can verify what your drive letter is there.  I think it should be C: assuming no hard drives / SSD are connected.  You can also disconnect any USB floppy drives and redo the test to see if it changes to A:

If you boot from a 98SE Setiup CD, you will end up in Drive A: if you stop the loading sequence. You will have to step through the loading sequence to load the CDROM Drivers, and skip the step that loads SETUP.
I'm not sure what drive letter is used by default on that CD. I use X: on my modified 98SE Installer Disk.

12 hours ago, 98SE said:

There was a note from the author that the DOS created ISOs would not work in Windows.  The author stated that any Windows created ISOs will work with the DOS program.

Why don't you cite what EXACTLY Jason Hood (Author of SHSUCDX) wrote?

Ora are you talking of mkisofs (Author is Jörg Schilling)?

Again, there is NO such thing as a "DOS ISO", let alone a "Windows standard ISO", most probably you misunderstood the meaning of the *whatever* you read or you took it out of context. :dubbio:

jaclaz