New rig with WinXP - getting troublesome.

Dogway

I go with matx because I don't want the hassle of big towers anymore. I'm not gonna plug many (if any) additional PCIe cards or anything, with a bluray driver I'm done.

What Iiked about that sniper z77 was the audio card. I just want to know how crap are today realtek cards... on my acer laptop of 2009 I couldn't hear anything while on silence, but with this Dell workstation I hear the radio and a strong ugly noise. What I mean is I don't need astounding sound, I only need something that is not crappy and have mixout sound (for recording software based audio), just the basics.

I set up an DIY PC using Intel own motherboard DZ87klt-75k , an Intel 4670k, 4 gb of ddr3 RAM, an intel ssd + 1 standard hard drive plus various other components just 3 weeks ago. Windows XP was installed and has been working flawlessly on this PC. I add that XP was installed on the SSD. Device manager shows all hardware is properly installed and running.

I don't say it can't be installed, but you would get driver issues, so for me that part related to device manager is hard to believe

Did Intel supply the RST drivers in the CD or...? And the other drivers? I doubt they handed the drivers so easily, just what I think.

I go with matx because I don't want the hassle of big towers anymore. I'm not gonna plug many (if any) additional PCIe cards or anything, with a bluray driver I'm done.

What Iiked about that sniper z77 was the audio card. I just want to know how crap are today realtek cards... on my acer laptop of 2009 I couldn't hear anything while on silence, but with this Dell workstation I hear the radio and a strong ugly noise. What I mean is I don't need astounding sound, I only need something that is not crappy and have mixout sound (for recording software based audio), just the basics.

The onboard sound realtek chips arn´t that bad at all, most of the time if you hear radio and other noises it's the amplifier in your speaker system and NOT the soundchip. I don't think you will find the sounddrivers for the G1.Sniper M5 (remember you are pointing to LGA 1150 and not 1155). I'm using simple onboard realtek and it's not that bad at all (after installing their complete driver set), but stay away from VIA there...

Yes radio is on the speakers, so that might be the reason. But on headphones there is a horrible noise that drives you mad in seconds, it's not bearable, and you can listen when the hard drive is actually working, etc. I doubt this could be the standard today but I'm just asking. I also would like to know if it has mixout recording ability, how do I know about that?

"Support" usually boils down to whether there are drivers for each individual component. It may be easier for the manufacturer to say that an application is "not supported" than to explain that one or more features of their product don't always work.

So far it seems that all key components, except USB 3.0, do have drivers. I'm sure someone will release a "native usb driver" when the 3.0 speeds become relevant.

I also successfully installed Windows onto a Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H, which has the new shiny BIOS, without doing anything particular. The BIOS has all the crucial compatibility/legacy options, in particular IDE emulation for SATA, and comes with the pre-set in compatibility mode by default.

The OS initially didn't boot, but I suspect it had to do with XP failing to write the boot sector properly on the drive partitioned with GParted. After I refreshed the boot sectors with BootICE, the system booted fine. XP with the latest updates was fully functional initially. Installing the Intel chipset INFs, hid the unknown USB device, among other things.

Realtek generally sounds good. It is also present on this board. Their biggest deficiencies are lack of precise control (you can't pick the sampling rate, and set signal routing), and the ridiculous size of the control panel that does so little useful work. The quality of Realtek has definitely improved, as it no longer appears to switch as eagerly between mic/headphone/speaker when jack sensing encounters unexpected impedance.

Realtek does offer stereo mix as a recording source. Recording works fine, but only at 16 bits. Realtek can also finally output 2 independent audio streams, but only to the rear and front, without other routing choices possible. Audio playback is stable under load, and doesn't interrupt.

Thanks a lot for help j7n, it seems realtek really improved something.
I'm not going to need much more than the basics for audio, stereo mix and no more distracting interferences are basic on my mind. I can always buy a card if I need something else. I really like this board because it looks stable from the electric current standpoint.

You said that all components have drivers, but I can't agree, USB3 or AHCI are 2 examples. The rest of drivers are hidden, you gotta rummage deeply to find (if you are lucky and persistant) an already obsolete driver. If you call that support... If you squeeze it, you could say this is the last generation for XP, and that's only by chance, we already know Intel only openly supported XP up to last Ivy generation.

My bad, I forgot about AHCI.

I fully agree that Ivy Bridge is the last fully functional platform for XP. NT5 has been with us for over a decade!

Relevant to good existing sound cards is also the absence of parallel PCI in Haswell chipsets. I specifically picked my board because it had PCI, but I have not yet tested it with a soundcard as it will not be used with one at the moment.

My bad, I forgot about AHCI.

I fully agree that Ivy Bridge is the last fully functional platform for XP. NT5 has been with us for over a decade!

Relevant to good existing sound cards is also the absence of parallel PCI in Haswell chipsets. I specifically picked my board because it had PCI, but I have not yet tested it with a soundcard as it will not be used with one at the moment.

AHCI might work after messing around with the driver, but I must say I've not tested it. I´ve done it before but with the older ICH9 (non R) southbridge and it worked, before Intel released a public driver for it. I would think it still should be possible for the later chipsets as well.

There are still good soundcards that have a PCI-E interface as well, and there are PCI-E (1x) to PCI adapters that seem to work well with some good PCI soundcards, although I presume Creative will fail.

• 3 months later...

By the way.. I just found out the hard way reading the readme that XP doesn't support the gryphon (and what else) LAN card. It says:

Microsoft Windows XP does not support the following devices:
Intel® Ethernet Connection I217-LM
Intel® Ethernet Connection I217-V

Here is the full XP list:

Microsoft Windows XP does not support the following devices:  Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-LM  Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-V  Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I218-LM  Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I218-V  Intel(R) I210 Gigabit Network Connection  Intel(R) I210 Gigabit Fiber Network Connection  Intel(R) I210 Gigabit Backplane Connection  Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection  Intel(R) Ethernet Server Adapter I210-T1

I might still use the crappy USB stick : /

I hope someone mods it, but I don't know if people actually mod drivers except for Fernando's AHCI drivers.

Edited by Dogway

• 11 months later...

198ab83e.png

Here is my Windows 2000.

By the way.. I just found out the hard way reading the readme that XP doesn't support the gryphon (and what else) LAN card. It says:

Microsoft Windows XP does not support the following devices:
  Intel® Ethernet Connection I217-LM
  Intel® Ethernet Connection I217-V

Here is the full XP list:

Microsoft Windows XP does not support the following devices:  Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-LM  Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-V  Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I218-LM  Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I218-V  Intel(R) I210 Gigabit Network Connection  Intel(R) I210 Gigabit Fiber Network Connection  Intel(R) I210 Gigabit Backplane Connection  Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection  Intel(R) Ethernet Server Adapter I210-T1

I might still use the crappy USB stick : /

I hope someone mods it, but I don't know if people actually mod drivers except for Fernando's AHCI drivers.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my Windows 2000.

Do you have a download link? I searched your page and downloaded one called "Intel Gigabit Network LAN Driver(v3)" but I'm not sure that's it. Are you sure it works on XP? Thanks for the mod.

I don't like testing things out of the blue when a simple "yes" can be said, but I went ahead and it worked! it's awesome, thanks to blackwingcat for the mod, my XP is now complete, I'm done 'til 2020.

Here is the original link. It seems he put together Win7 and XP Embedded drivers to make it work.

• 1 month later...

Hi people,

I've been trying for over an hour to find the download link for that

PROWIN32 v19.5 Windows 2000 Driver

mentioned in posts # 26 - 29 above and made by "blackwingcat" also in this thread.

This is the info page for it, right ?

http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1883591.html

Just can't find the download link.

Can anybody please see if they can locate it ?

Thanks.

Edited by xp fanatic