Youtube stopped working with Flash 7 for 95/NT

SomeGuy

The modified flash 7 discussed here: http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/143394-youtube-no-longer-works-with-flash-7win95-solved/ seems to have stopped working since a couple of days ago. It was working awesomely just last week.

It starts like it is going to play but then seems to wait forever. Any ideas?

Also posting on this forum in Seamonkey 1.1 doesn't work any more. :(

UPDATE: oops, scratch everything I wrote earlier! ...

I can confirm it is also a problem on Flash 11.4 as well ( using Opera ). Just began in the past few days.

Google is obviously screwing around again with YouTube.

Playing a video that I know worked recently now gets a dumb message ...

An error occurred, please try again later.
Learn More

... as if they don't know what the problem is. No doubt they are doing Flash version sniffing and branching to this non-descript error for versions they don't approve of.

UPDATE: Ah ha. I tested Firefox with same 11.4 version of Flash and the video plays, but only after an advertisement is first overlayed that you need to dismiss. So I believe this is a new feature from Google of monetizing every video play. Wonderful. Opera must detect the ad as a popup and throw it away, thus we get the non-descript error message.

Bad Google. :realmad:

Here's what happened. Using Opera there is a preference setting for browser identity. I have this preference in a dropdown box at the bottom of the screen and accidentally changed it "Internet Explorer". Setting it back to "Opera" corrected everything including Flash videos at YouTube and also Google Images. I don't know if this applies to the original poster or not, but if you are using Opera check out the preferences.

It's possible that you do NOT have this in your preferences as it seems to be well hidden these days, in this case you can go to Tools > Appearance > Buttons > Preferences and add a dropdown box to a toolbar like I did ( it is very convenient ). This is what mine looks like ...

8ovkspO.jpg

... To use it you just click on it to change the identity and then press F5 to refresh the page ( it re-requests it from the server using the new identity so the server then returns a page based on that identity if the page author used browser sniffing to send different pages ).

P.S. If the OP is not using Opera then I apologize for the digression!

EDIT: spacing

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

I have flash 9 (9,0,16,0) and it stopped working for me last month...

Are they just denying the version I have?? (I opened a hex editor and changed the version # in my OCX file to the latest flash version but I kept getitng overflow errors then)

What is the oldest flash version they will allow thier vids to be played with?? (Ill change it to that and try again)

I still have my Version 7 OCX fie (7.0.19 to be exact)

You have youtube showing you vids with flash 8 being ID'd?? (Maybe they are only blocking flash 9 for some reason)

Whats the exact version # you have IDing?? (If you dont want to say i do understand)

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe they were only blocking certain flash versions and now arent anymore??

EDIT:

I just tried it with my flash 9.0.16 OCX and still nothing...

Clicking this link just results in a black screen (It used to work 2 months ago)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GRSz1XNT-Q

EDIT2:

It works with flash 9.0.124 (I got that ocx and put it in the folder)

It doesnt let me choose QUALITY on that flash version though! (Im stuck on HIGH and it bogs stuff down like crazy)

Edited by Dude111