Need AHCI Driver for Asrock M3A790GXH/128M on Windows XP

mtl777

Hi, I just installed an SSD in my system and realized that it needs to run in AHCI mode in order to obtain the best performance. Does anyone know where I can get/download an AHCI driver for my Asrock M3A790GXH/128M mobo running on Windows XP? I tried contacting the mobo manufacturer and they said that they don't have such a driver because first of all AHCI does not work in Windows XP because Microsoft does not support it. Then I told them that I saw an AHCI driver that's part of their RAID drivers for Windows XP on their download site. They said that that AHCI driver is glitchy and doesn't work well with Windows XP. I don't know if I should believe this guy because at first he said they have no driver and then he said it's glitchy. So I'm hoping to find a good AHCI driver for my mobo through someone's kind help in this forum.

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

What a dumb s*** that guy you spoke on the phone is. AHCI doesn't work in XP. :w00t: CSRs these days. What's one to do?

I guess you shouldn't trust them. So I'm turning to the forums.

I know AHCI works in XP, maybe just not Asrock's driver.  Or if Asrock's driver works, maybe it is slow.

OK, I have now tried the Asrock driver. It works. But it's kinda slow because my SSD runs a lot faster on a Windows 8 system in another machine.  Is there any other AHCI driver for Windows XP that might be faster than Asrock's?

Well maybe there is some misunderstanding.

If you update from a magnetic HDD to a SSD:

Yes, the AMD RAID driver works at AHCI mode too. This includes XP.

At bootup the AMD driver scans for HDD and cause a delay: IDE mode booting may be faster than AHCI booting

You won't recognise a difference at AHCI or IDE mode in real life. Yes, there is a difference at syntetic testing.

There is no TRIM support at XP.

Overall (update from a magnetic HDD to a SSD):

ignore AMD IDE or AMD AHCI mode at XP: that's not the main question

choose a XP friendly SSD: medium garbage collection, preferably with a windows maintenance application