nuhi is back, post your suggestions here

nuhi

You might need to allow for a few day to let people recover from the SHOCK :w00t: of the announcement. :unsure:

Hey jaclaz,

let me get this right, are you saying (with a sad face) you would rather have a free solution of a lesser quality than a full-time dedicated product, which requires compensation on my end?

Let me know what you think, are the first impressions more important than a early public test of limited functionality.

Hey nuhi,

Good to hear from you. I'm positively surprised about the new info. I would be very willing to pay for a license looking at the time saved by nLite in the past, besides, looking at the time you put it, it's only fair :)

Can you tell something about the ideas you have with regards to free vs pro (what are the pro features) and pricing?

Looking forward to a possible public beta!

You might need to allow for a few day to let people recover from the SHOCK :w00t: of the announcement. :unsure:

Hey jaclaz,

let me get this right, are you saying (with a sad face) you would rather have a free solution of a lesser quality than a full-time dedicated product, which requires compensation on my end?

Actually I am saying NOTHING at all (in the sense of nada, zero, zilch) if not that I was surprised by this announcement and that I will need (and I believe a few more people will) some time to put together a thought upon comment.

jaclaz

there is a lot of work put into this program and its still continues. so for me personally its not a surprise. i think nuhi deserve this for years of doing lite windows possible.

I got no issues with you wanting to charge for it. The amount of man hours you have probably put into it and will continue to do so is reason enough.

Let me know what you think, are the first impressions more important than a early public test of limited functionality.

The new product sounds very interesting and I have no objection to paying for a good product.

MerijnB, thanks.
In regards to features, goal is to make the free version useful, to demonstrate the abilities and to compete with other free tools.
For more details I need to make a website and see people's feedback.

jaclaz, a sorry, :unsure: -> "unsure". Got it, I thought it was like "too bad" from the looks of it.
I hope to make everyone happy, we'll tweak the limitations over time and see what fits where.
I am currently very sensitive to you "old" folks disappointment. But when you think about it, there was no other way, if we want higher quality that is.

boooggy is the top alpha dog.
Just as a matter of disclosure, he was there from the beginning testing it.
I want to thank him publicly. So whatever is wrong, blame him.

-X- and Ffin, thanks. It means a lot to see more encouragement.

Ok, I'll keep thinking about that public test in a few weeks, can't wait for your feedback to push it in the right direction.

And I'd be interested in the registration fee, do you have ANY clue as to a range of cost?

Whatever it is, I'd like to see a one-time charge as opposed to a subscription.

Certainly personal use would be different than technician use or corporate deployment.

Maybe even a family option, to cover all computers in a household.

I love nLite, and I used it successfully for many years. If your next creation is anywhere near as good, I would pay you for it in a heartbeat! I'd PAY to test the Pro version, as well. <hint>

Best success from your fan in Atlanta.

MARK STRELECKI

Atlanta, GA. USA

Personally, I am happy to know there will be a paid version, as long as it isn't too pricey... And I would advise against it being a subscription-based thing, where the user has to pay, and pay, and keep paying to use it. Definitely not fond of that.

And to those who "need time to think" before responding to the new information -- give me a break -- It's not that complicated. Nuhi has provided us insanely useful tools in the past at ZERO cost. He deserves to get something for all his efforts over the years.

A low cost, one-time fee, of say... $29.99 (to use on as many computers as we like) would be acceptable to me, for the Pro Version. I want all the possible features to strip Win 7 and Win 8 (and beyond) down to their bare bones to squeeze out as much performance as possible while not breaking any functionality... and I already know this will be the tool to do it. We pay for games and lots of other things... I think this will prove to be a valuable tool completely worth the price.

Edit: If there will be a beta test, I would *LOVE* to take part. I'm an experienced Windows user since Win95, and know my way around an OS quite well.

Edited by Ultimist

well, i like free and open software but in this case we have to consider the time you expended on it and the goal of quality above all.

just consider charging a great deal (like less than $15) and we will all be ok with that.

ps.: consider extr feature as costs for usr and main options the free ones... :P

ricktendo, it will be online activated, locally tied to a machine. License agreement will be only one machine at the time.
That means when machine changes, or you try to install it on another machine, it asks for reactivation.
And at that point it depends if key got leaked and there is abnormal number of reactivations. If there are a lot of reactivations it will switch to email-only form, as only original buyer has the right to reactivate.
In other scenario, if you keep your activated tool's license file, and do not change hardware, you can even reinstall Windows and the tool will stay activated without spending one more activation.
I will see about how many online activations are permitted. Windows allows for 5 I think, that seems fair enough.
So in essence you can change your hardware 5 times before getting into annoyance of sending a request for reactivation.
Let me know if you see a problem with that and we'll discuss some more.

markstrelecki, Ultimist, yro, price would most probably be $49.99. Year of updates, or major version upgrade price, not decided yet.
But to allow lifetime of upgrades and support for a single price is not a viable scenario, in a year I would be working for free as the sales will drop after the initial fans are all taken care of.
Also there won't be a lot of us who can reinstall at a whim and use a tool like this, so a lower price (even down to mobile-app range) would also not make it viable regardless if all enthusiasts bought it. Don't forget taxes and company maintenance, I actually get 50% of it.
If I see a lot of interest, but the price is constantly reported as too high, of course I will adapt and try lower.
But at first there is no point of starting too low and locking myself into cheap deal for something that will grow like crazy, especially at the beginning.

Tool like this requires constant maintenance. Basically on each patch Tuesday or update pack I can expect new issues for some configurations.
There will also be constant refinement and adding of new components and options, until we have it min-win perfect, reinstalled Windows with all inside a preset that you need.
Then Windows 9 and so on it goes.

Feel free to comment on the pricing and licensing, and remember you haven't even seen it yet, also it will grow. And it's not just about the features, but about the stability of modified Windows and support as well.

I might make a beta pro pre-purchase, but I have to first arrange taxes and other legal stuff, which is one of the biggest pro blockers at this moment.

Let me ask you about the licensing length opinions, year vs major version upgrades. Meaning if you buy v1.0 for initial price, would you rather:
1. get all updates during next year, be it v2.0 or whatever, including new Windows support. And then after a year, whenever you want to restart upgrade support, pay 50% of initial price for another year of upgrades.
or
2. get all 1.x updates, whenever they are out, but for 2.x with new features and new Windows support pay 50% of initial price for an upgrade to get all 2.x upgrades.
?

Edited by nuhi

-X-, I'm genuinely interested how you see that.

For example, hypothetically, what's wrong with buying v1.x with all the features it has/will have and never upgrade to 2.x?
I mean how do you see it as a put off to pay for new features of 2.x, it's a different tool than it was a year ago, for example.

I could name it differently so it's like a different tool each year.

Let's say I could split it per Windows version. So there is Win7, Win8, Win8.1 versions, it would also work for me, and you would not see it as a subscription.

It is puzzling to me how do you expect me to upgrade it constantly for a flat fee. If there would constantly be new users, maybe it could work, but I doubt there will be - this is too niche.

So let's refine the licensing options:

1. yearly

2. major version of the tool

3. new version of windows

Comments?

The reason I see it that way is because of software I have payed for in the past and got a lifetime license with all upgrades included. The first piece of software I purchased was Webcam32 back in 1998. It worked all the way until it stopped being developed even switching company hands. The second piece of software I payed for was XPlite in 2003 which is similar to nLite but it works on installed systems. I only had to pay once. I've also purchased Newsbin which has really gone through a lot of development over the years with many complete overhauls every now and then. Again, I only had to pay once, The author of Newsbin give users the options to pay again but he doesn't force it. There's more but I'll leave it at that.

I fully understand where you are coming from and it seems to be what many companies are going to these days. Don't get me wrong. I plan on supporting you. I'll buy whatever you make and whatever licencing method you chose. Heck, I dont even use NT6. I just don't like subscriptions. 

Per your choices, I would go with the new version of Windows route.

Edited by -X-