nuhi is back, post your suggestions here

nuhi

2. The boot sector included in nLite is old. MS uses a new boot sector in their officially-integrated XP SP3 disc. I don't know much about the boot code, but when you extract and open it with a hex editor, the new boot sector has this ASCII string:

SETUPLDR.BINBOOTFIX.BINI386AMD64
The old one has only 'SETUPLDR.BINBOOTFIX.BINI386'.

The 'AMD64' that you have seen in the boot sector, is for XP x64.

The 'AMD64' that you have seen in the boot sector, is for XP x64.

Yes it is for XP x64, but the boot sector is not used exclusively on x64 CDs. In fact the official XP SP3 CD uses the boot sector with 'AMD64'.

You can prove this by getting an official XP SP3 CD image. This is the only detail I can give you so far. (Anything more and people can accuse me of helping pirates.)

I have never used XP x64, so maybe AMD64 in the chain is useless and is not needed if there is setupldr.bin in I386 and has been not a problem for XP x64 setup disc creations, not a single boot error report.

Edited by Maxfutur

There was that annoyance also: if you set same value for "Owner" and "Computer Name", the unattended install will stop and ask you for "Computer Name". So you might put a reminder on that.

The TxtSetup fix applied for bthport.sys (KB951376) must also be applied for usbehci.sys (KB2862330) to fix a Microsoft Update site detection issue.

In XP x86 SP3:

usbehci.sys   = 100,,,,,,4_,4,1,3,,1,4
...should be changed to...

usbehci.sys   = 100,,,,,,4_,4,0,0,,1,4
After more testing, the usbehci.sys fix doesn't appear to be necessary for XP x64 SP2. Edited by 5eraph

The TxtSetup fix applied for bthport.sys (KB951376) must also be applied for usbehci.sys (KB2862330) to fix a Microsoft Update site detection issue.

Great find, and I will need to have some time to test this one. (Not on nLite. I prefer to slipstream updates by hand so as to minimize the slipstreaming overhead.)

BTW, HFSLIP may have the same problem too.

EDIT: I tested this just now, and the result is: No, we don't need the KB951376 hack for KB2862330.

Here is what I've done. I installed XP on a VirtualBox VM with the virtual USB controller explicitly disabled. On such system, only usb8023.sys driver is installed (but not loaded). The rest of these files are not installed at all (they reside in DRIVER.CAB and SP3.CAB so that users don't need to insert the XP CD when system needs the driver):

usb8023x.sysusbd.sysusbehci.sysusbport.syshidparse.sysusbscan.sysirbus.sysusbaudio.sysusbvideo.sys
And none of these are offered by Automatic Updates: KB2862330, KB2862335, KB2868038, KB2884256

(I'm not sure about KB2807986. When I test this I already slipstreamed it so my usb8023.sys is the updated driver.)

Edited by Explorer09

Just did a full test run earlier and so no issues with those files and nLite. See images...

Ok, I see it. There is an INF section called MustCopy.Drivers.files that should be the cause. (Or maybe its "CopyFilesAlways"? I don't know which one is the keyword.) And **** Microsoft for not documenting this.

One more thing I was confused is that why WU doesn't offer KB2862330 when it detects usbehci.sys is missing? For KB951376, WU offers the update when bthport.sys is missing.

; KB951376-v2[ProductInstall.CopyFilesAlways.DontDelayUntilReboot]CopyFiles=MustCopy.Drivers.files[MustCopy.Drivers.files]bthport.sys,SP3GDR\bthport.sys[DestinationDirs]    MustCopy.Drivers.files=12       ; %windir%\system32\drivers (don't delay until reboot)

; KB2862330[ProductInstall.CopyFilesAlways.DontDelayUntilReboot]CopyFiles=MustCopy.Drivers.files[MustCopy.Drivers.files]usbehci.sys,SP3QFE\usbehci.sys[DestinationDirs]    MustCopy.Drivers.files=12       ; %windir%\system32\drivers (don't delay until reboot)

[...] I was confused is that why WU doesn't offer KB2862330 when it detects usbehci.sys is missing? For KB951376, WU offers the update when bthport.sys is missing.

When user_hidden and Outbreaker were testing in 32-bit XP, the Microsoft Update website did complain and offer KB2862330. Perhaps the issue with that update was corrected on Microsoft's server. Or perhaps WU and MU use different detection logic concerning that update. I haven't tested 32-bit XP since then.

Edited by 5eraph

nLite. The Best program for customizing/editing installations of

I386's based Windows OSes ever!

It is possible to get updated: MCE 2005 Feature... if...

About integrating Service Pack 3 into Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005.

The following scenario is fully workable:

1. You need to use DXUPAC MCE Slipstreamer SP3.

2. Integrate with nLite YumeYao_WMP10_Addon_ENU_V3_4_5.

3. You are done, and you have WinXP MCE 2005 with SP3 (Media Center 3.0)

4. After Installation you need to install NETFX 1.1, and after that

5. Install only KB900325.exe (extracted from WindowsXPMediaCenter2005-KB900325-usa.exe)

6. Install WindowsXPMediaCenter2005-KB925766-ENU.exe (October 2006 Update).

Now you have FULLY updated WinXP MCE 2005.

Optional you can Install Windows Media Player 11 and again everything works great.

------------------

Point of this is that I want:

nLite, to get the same fully workable functionality like 'DXUPAC MCE Slipstreamer SP3', (not this one, which chnage version from 3.0 to 2.8)

and someone to create true addon from KB900325.exe (18,4MB extracted one) and KB925766 in one package to be used with nLite.

- normaly this will required NETFX1.1 also slipstremaed as true addon at the first place.

============================================================

============================================================

Another features what I like to see in nLite are:

- Support for Windows Betas from Whistler (XP) and Longhorn (Vista) era. nLite actually support those builds with i386 folder (not WIM setups). But if you add some addon for ex. Firefox, IE8 or adobe reader or whatever, you gonna get error after TXT mode setup when you will be asked to insert "Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 CD" (block modified beta iso from installing).

In this contex will be very nice to be possible nLite to patch beta builds to make them date-free, for users don't have to change bios date for their installation.

- Extending RunOnce section for: changing color of CMD console, and adding TITLE command on it's, also GUI for autommated @ECHO OFF/ECHO commands.

- Feature on ISO creation page, to be possible to set 'Specifies the timestamp for all files and directories' - switch: -t option from OSCDIMG.

- Support for Windows 2000 Datacenter

- Support for SMBS 2003 (integrating Service Packs)

- Support for converting-changing License Channel (VLK-OEM-Retail). (I think this woludn't be consider as pircay because with this someone only will get install media disk not the serial number.)

Suggestions:

- Enable 'Back' button on ISO creation page, to go directly on Location (second page).

(In some scenarios even at the begging you know that you will need to edit your installation through 2-3 times process via nLite.)

- Remove/Change Windows 2000 and Windows XP's Service Packs links (online locations).

- Check EULA now need to say: 2013 instead of 2008.

=========================================================================

P.S. Thanks Nuhi again for the great software.

Suggestions:

- Enable 'Back' button on ISO creation page, to go directly on Location (second page).

(In some scenarios even at the begging you know that you will need to edit your installation through 2-3 times process via nLite.)

Enable 'Back' button and change to 'Start over'

hi all, what happened to nuhi, he's gone again for five years? :(

The last thing he wrote is more than a month ago 07 September 2013 - 2:55 a.m.

:), I noticed that too and it started bothering me. I've been busy with the new tool and didn't want to stop in the middle of something.

For nLite I have written down what needs to be done, and will be finished as soon as the current stream of updates for the new one is done.

That is what most of people wanted in the first place, to put focus on the next tool.

I'll reply to this topic properly later.

nuhi, can we please make our suggestions / wishes somewhere, in a thread dedicated for the new tool (that probably will use DISM for windows 7 / 8 / 8.1)? Please make a new thread for it and link it here, as I can see here all the suggestions are nlite related. :)