Win98 from CD loads config from HD installed Windows

Telop

Apparently "Version=" has absolutely no meaning under the circumstances (script.project)? :unsure: (Managed to get all 4 of them.)

It may have some meaning, as well there may be n versions (possibly Beta's or modified by someone else) with the same file name.

Since a lot of people may have two or more similar BUT different versions, they might have modified the original filename to better distinguish them (or to avoid a new version overwriting the old one, or whatever).

And of course "all 4 of them" since we are talking of a trilogy of five (maybe 6 or more) is a bit "vague" :whistle:.

jaclaz

Weeellll - those that I "found" on this Topic (AFAICT, but probably not). Don't those scripts "modify" if you select a different option within it? (BTW, I've not "tested" -or- "run" any of the "4" yet.)

To verify those "found" would be to content compare and "hope for the best" for which came first (if it mattered). The "versions" and "count of versions" is getting a bit messy. A -functional- set (one for Win9x, one for WinXP+) would be (IMHO) ideal as a starting point, however at this point it's unknown if at any given time something got "broken" during the course of "fixing". Those dates that have been mentioned are pointless (to me) unless they can identify -why- they are dated as such, since using any of those "services" (for me, anyway) preclude downloading as-is (e.g. date of 7z) with (for example) wget/flashget/etc.

But the internal dates are preserved in the .zip/.cab/.7z/.rar files, so that, provided they were packed shortly after version creation, the most recent date of all the internal files should be our best guess to the date of the whole package, which cannot possibly, at any rate, have been created before that date. But, of course, it's just an estimate. And mentions to specific files in the original release thread may also help dating things.

So, let me be the one to start the systematic identification, as requested by jaclaz:

The package I uploaded is named: Win98LiveCDBuilder_108.7z and it is 25,359,928 bytes long.

The latest internal date in it, which appears in multiple places, is 2010-jan-06 or, as a string, 20100106.

Its hashes are:

CRC32: 10A9F9E3
MD5: 10F326B03DF2C4108386E8880FA42562
SHA-1: 169BF6380F06FF461092CDC3B3C55F03E34CDA28
SHA-256: CF67E4776115F1FAA7562AF20AC04C65019141BB2970749DE040162E285CFF4F

Boot to dos, and then run setup with parameters. You can tell it to read a setup.inf file from the c:\ drive or from a floppy. That's how i normally install it.

You normally install Windows 98 to CD? :w00t:

Though the title is NOT clear and StartButton revived this otherwise deemed into oblivion thread, the matter at hand is related to this:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/140391-windows-98-live-cd-project-update/

one of the possible ways to build a windows 98 "Live CD".

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz