Clean Alt-Tab for Win8: desktop item and thumbnails removed

osRe

The OS wouldn't let you to, even in Safe Mode.

16 minutes ago, shae said:

Not sure why you would need the recovery env?

How do you replace original alttab.dll with the patched one?

16 minutes ago, shae said:

do you mean that even if there was a patched DLL for the latest 8.1 32-bit it wouldn't be good?

I might have done it if it were quick enough to do, but even just patching the DLL would take a while.
Then, if you also mean the memory patcher utility, it would take much more. It probably can't be compiled to 32-bit without modification.

I always agree to wait for the proper complete solution. And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

May I ask you to take a look at my previous requests, too? I mean the check for the explorer.exe's initialization and Z-order.

By the way I found out why I had transparent windows on Alt-Tab with Aero Peek off. It's per-user setting but if you go changing it in the "normal" way (Win+Pause - Advanced system settings) under a limited account you'll get the UAC prompt. Accordingly, you'll be changing the settings for the user you'll enter the credential for, not yours. So you need to run SystemPropertiesPerformance.exe instead.

Replacing the DLL worked for me in the past, and I think other people as well. Some previous posts discussed it.
It didn't require anything special, really. I don't know why it would be more trouble on your OS.

I'm not saying I will be working on a 32-bit version. I don't mind helping out if it can be done quickly enough, but this is too time consuming.
The whole thing here started as something for my own use. It's not like it's a "product" or anything. :)

In the rare cases I needed to test something on x86 I didn't mind the original task switcher. It's just a localized test VM, not my actual daily OS.
BTW, in my limited experience, W8.1 x64 runs well enough on 2GB. I assume for very specific needs 1GB might be workable.

Interesting about the Aero Peek setting. I guess you're running a non-standard user configuration? I never saw UAC prompts changing the user. It just elevated the same one.

Edited by shae

19 minutes ago, shae said:

Replacing the DLL worked for me in the past

That's what I'm asking you of, how did you replace it in a working system? I have reviewed the whole topic from the start but didn't notice anything like how-to. The dll can't be replaced neither on-the-fly nor in Safe Mode. Through the command line in RE - yes, it's possible.

24 minutes ago, shae said:

I don't mind helping out if it can be done quickly enough, but this is too time consuming.
The whole thing here started as something for my own use. It's not like it's a "product" or anything.

OK but sad to hear.

25 minutes ago, shae said:

I guess you're running a non-standard user configuration? I never saw UAC prompts changing the user. It just elevated the same one.

I work under the limited account. That is, I can't elevate by just clicking 'Yes' in UAC prompt, I need to enter the user name and the password of an admin account.

This guy did it manually. I think it was just taking ownership of the DLL and giving yourself "Full Control" permissions:
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/163665-clean-alt-tab-for-win8-desktop-item-and-thumbnails-removed/?do=findComment&comment=1066005

You can also try with commandline (3rd line optional):

takeown /f filename.dll /a
icacls filename.dll /grant administrators:F
icacls filename.dll /setowner "NT Service\TrustedInstaller"

Maybe the problem was that you're not running as administrator?

The above is also what the WSF installer automates, in the W8.1 DLL ZIP linked in the first post.
If you want to use it you'd need to change the DLL in the WSF (target...) to match the W8 DLL you're trying to use.
But all that won't help much if the W8 DLL isn't working right replacing the latest DLL in W8.1.

>I work under the limited account.

I see. Not sure how beneficial that is instead of admin with UAC on.

Edited by shae

Now I see, Administrators have only Read and Execute right for alttab.dll by default.

15 hours ago, shae said:

Not sure how beneficial that is instead of admin with UAC on.

This excludes the possibility of a semi-automatic pressing 'Yes' for an unwanted action. Also, if a third person has access to your computer he/she won't be able to spoil something accidentally.