Clean Alt-Tab for Win8: desktop item and thumbnails removed

osRe

• 4 months later...

Hi can you please update AltTab varriants to 6.3.9600.17415 dated 10/28/2014? Thanks very much! I really need this fix because my game forces windows to use the classic alttab and when I use alt tab and the game is in windowed mode it starts bringing up searchpane and my game constantly minimizes when I click something!!! Deleting or adding the registry value does not fix this issue because some games force this.

I need something to remove searchpane from alt tab. Thanks! :}

Edited by mayoko

So that 700MB November update changed AltTab.dll? :) I was planning on applying that update already, might as well do it now.

So here's the updated thing. Seems okay, but there were more changes in AltTab.dll this time, so maybe unexpected consequences will come up. But so far so good.

I'm not sure how it will help with what you're seeing. If a game causes strange behavior with the stock AltTab.dll, it's going to keep on doing that.

CleanAltTab_win812_x64.zip

Edited by shae

I must say, I'm really happy to see Win 10's most recent Alt-Tab treatment...  Now they open a partially transparent panel that doesn't cover the entire desktop, and they most certainly don't have a "Desktop" entry in there - AWESOME!

-Noel

So that 700MB November update changed AltTab.dll? :) I was planning on applying that update already, might as well do it now.

So here's the updated thing. Seems okay, but there were more changes in AltTab.dll this time, so maybe unexpected consequences will come up. But so far so good.

I'm not sure how it will help with what you're seeing. If a game causes strange behavior with the stock AltTab.dll, it's going to keep on doing that.

Thanks bud, I was able to get the game to stop that behavior... unfortunately alttab is still showing "search pane" when in use, anyway this can be fixed? I double checked and relaunched the installer, it asked me if I wanted to uninstall it so I know it's working. Thanks!

Edited by mayoko

mayoko, does it show "Search Pane" in the modern style switcher also with the original AltTab.dll? The modified one shouldn't affect it in any way.

Did you try deleting HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AltTabSettings?

I must say, I'm really happy to see Win 10's most recent Alt-Tab treatment...  Now they open a partially transparent panel that doesn't cover the entire desktop

I haven't tried W10 so far. No "Desktop" is a start, but aren't there still thumbnails, even larger than before? Or am I thinking of another switching mechanism? Edited by shae

Yes, there are thumbnails, big ones.  I don't mind the thumbnails myself.  What was getting me was that the "Task View" switcher in prior Win 10 builds completely wiped out the desktop, replacing it with ONLY the big thumbnails.

-Noel

mayoko, does it show "Search Pane" in the modern style switcher also with the original AltTab.dll? The modified one shouldn't affect it in any way.

Did you try deleting HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AltTabSettings?

I must say, I'm really happy to see Win 10's most recent Alt-Tab treatment...  Now they open a partially transparent panel that doesn't cover the entire desktop

I haven't tried W10 so far. No "Desktop" is a start, but aren't there still thumbnails, even larger than before? Or am I thinking of another switching mechanism?

Yes adding it and or removing it does not change the situation, some games actually force windows to use classic alt tab, even when not in compatibility mode as I mentioned in my post earlier. That's why I need this to remove search pane, for whatever reason nobody else is reporting my difficulties but changing the registry setting does nothing. That's why I need this patch to remove search pane... which unfortunately isn't removing it... also I can't find anyway to disable search pane since I use classic shell.

mayoko: If I understand what you're saying: "Search Pane" appears also when you use the stock, unmodified, AltTab.dll. It actually appears in the "classic" style of the switcher rather than the modern one. It's triggered by some games.

If that's the case, this modification will not help. The fact that "Desktop" was removed doesn't mean it can remove arbitrary programs, and anyway the classic style switcher is not handled by AltTab.dll.

Noel: Not putting the icons over the thumbnails is a good decision. But I still find the thumbnails a hindrance, and their size makes it worse than before. Also the dynamic grid layout makes it very messy looking. Hopefully there's an built-in way to tweak these things? :)

Edited by shae

• 4 months later...