120 gig slave harddrive isnt reconized by 98se

Make sure the jumper on the jumper block on the HDD is in the appropriate position.

Make sure this slave HDD is on the middle position connector on the IDE ribbon cable, NOT the end connector.

Make sure the blue connector on that cable is in the motherboard.

Make sure the BIOS screen correctly identifies the model of that HDD, use Auto-Detect, do NOT adjust the CHS parameters in there.

Remove and then re-connect the ribbon cable from both the motherboard and the HDD.

As Jaclaz implies, you have not mentioned any details of substance. Especially, the HDD location, is it on the secondary channel and the system boot HDD on the primary, or are they both on the same channel and same cable?

All these things listed above need to be squared away before you even think about changing anything Windows ( which is usually how these problems are incorrectly addressed ).

<--- Bets this (0 Pesos, natch)... You have attached a HDD from a system that translates differently and your problem description does not clearly indicate the symptoms (see standard litany above), e.g. Compaq to non-Compaq or vise-versa - in the System Properties but "different" sector translation prevents it being "seen" in Explorer.

Is it FAT32?....................................................................................................................................................................................................

Does it appear in the administative tools section ( if you have one ) or device manager?....................................................................................

Can it be seen by FDISK?..................................................................................................................................................................................

Is the jumper set to slave ? Sometimes, no matter what, the jumper being in master, etc will not really change how the drive loads. This is usually the task of the BIOS. Moving the jumper around is for rare cases, and if you want to show off your technical ability of understanding

computers, etc.The BIOS and startup CMOS etc ( whatever it is called ) should have a hotkey ( if that is the correct term ) to load OS from X drive, USB ( in most newer boards ), or CD-rom ..........................................................................................................................................................................................

When I want to load from X drive, and do not know which keys to press to enter that menu. I will usually plug out the power cable to the

drive, and the BIOS should automatically assign that drive as the boot drive. Otherwise I would switch around the cables...........................................................................................................................................................................................

If your restricted to one IDE, etc cable you can try switching slave and master positions but sometimes this will not help at all. If your restricted to SATA ports, I would find the built in boot menu key, because newer machines should have them.

..........................................................................................................................................................................................

..........................................................................................................................................................................................

Keep in mind that fiddling with the cables too much might result in a hard drive crash, and loss of data, loss of investment etc.

My drive caught on fire after messing around too much with the cords and cables. ..........................................................................................................................................................................................

That is my two cents.

Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the vague description I'm new, but anyway here it is.

Device Description
WDC WD1200JB-00GVA0 (WD-WCALA1632771)

Field Value
ATA Device Properties
Model ID WDC WD1200JB-00GVA0
Serial Number WD-WCALA1632771
Revision 08.02D08
Parameters 232581 cylinders, 16 heads, 63 sectors per track, 600 bytes per sector
LBA Sectors 234441648
Buffer 8 MB (Dual Ported, Read Ahead)
Multiple Sectors 16
ECC Bytes 74
Max. PIO Transfer Mode PIO 4
Max. UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 5 (ATA-100)
Active UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 5 (ATA-100)
Unformatted Capacity 134149 MB

ATA Device Features
SMART Supported
Security Mode Supported
Power Management Supported
Advanced Power Management Not Supported
Write Cache Supported
Host Protected Area Supported
Power-Up In Standby Not Supported
Automatic Acoustic Management Supported
48-bit LBA Supported
Device Configuration Overlay Supported

ATA Device Manufacturer
Company Name Western Digital Corporation
Product Information http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products

***note its not the cables the last HD I hocked up as a slave was a 20 gig but that one was corrupt and three trojan :(

Edited by lolnousernameforyou

Good :).

What you posted is the (very exhaustive :thumbup:) descrription of the actual piece of hardware (the hard disk).

Now we need some description of the context and of the EXACT issue.

You are running Windows 98, and the BIOS recognizes the disk, so what exactly do you mean by "Windows 98 won't recognize"?

You cannot see any drive letter added in Explorer?

Have you booted to "pure DOS" and tried running FDISK?

What happens if you do that?

One example:

If the disk came from another system that ran any OS of the Windows NT family from NT 3.5 up to Windows 2K/XP or any later one, it is possible that the disk is partitioned and that the partition(s) is/are formatted in NTFS.

Windows 98 won't recognize that filesystem (not the "disk") and thus explorer won't assign to it an additional drive letter.

Same applies if it came from a Linux system or more geerally from a machine running *any* OS more recent than Windows 98 as win9x cannot (without add-ons, drivers and what not) recognize *any* filesystem besides FAT12, FAT16 or FAT32.

Maybe this is the case (or maybe it is not)

Quick FDISK tutorial (if needed :unsure:):

http://fdisk.radified.com/

jaclaz

Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the vague description I'm new, but anyway here it is.

[...]

***note its not the cables the last HD I hocked up as a slave was a 20 gig but that one was corrupt and three trojan :(

Still vague. Where in the computer? Primary or secondary channel? Where on cable?

Just describe the whole thing ... "This drive is on secondary channel, middle position, the jumper is on xxx, the BIOS says xxx". Replace those examples with your own details!

I don't think you understood what I meant by new. I JUST got into computer building three days ago and just started to learn DOS (such a NOOB :blushing: ), but anyway I resolved the issue and partitioned the drive. Only thing I need to know now is the technical part so can anyone please pm me to a site where I can learn this. Thanks for all the replies.

Edited by lolnousernameforyou

I don't think you understood what I meant by new. I JUST got into computer building three days ago and just started to learn DOS (such a NOOB :blushing: ), but anyway I resolved the issue and partitioned the drive. Only thing I need to know now is the technical part so can anyone please pm me to a site where I can learn this. Thanks for all the replies.

Well, here we like to do things in public, why should one provide privately links to public sites (possibly useful not only to you but to all the members that are - or will be - in a similar situation to the one you were)?

And it is also expected that when people helps you, you try to be grateful to them (and to the other members) by reporting in detail WHAT was the solution, HOW EXACTLY you implemented it, this way another "n00b" may be able to find this thread an learn something from it.

Just for the record, it seems to me very likely that you did not resolve anything, jaclaz did and you simply followed his advice. :whistle:

jaclaz

I'm not trying to be ungrateful if thats the way your taking it I'm sorry and didn't mean it. But can you still post the website so I don't have to be such a pain to you all.

I thought that the link I already provided you was exhaustive enough about the use of FDISK, what do you mean by the "technical part"?

A partitioning primer?

http://www.bandwidthco.com/whitepapers/datarecovery/vanalysis/partition/mbr/Partitioning%20Primer.pdf

Please understand how the topic is actually vast, and you self-defined yourself as "n00b", so I don't know if I will give cause some sort of "information overload by suggesting you to read this whole site:

http://thestarman.pcministry.com/

AND these:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.deboynepollard/FGA/

http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/partitions/partition_types.html

which are the "usual references" I provide when talking of booting/partitioning/filesystems.

Maybe if you narrow a bit your request I can provide you with more "targeted" suggestions.

jaclaz

Posted Today, 04:49 PM
  • photo-thumb-380515.jpg?_r=1375941796
  • Members
  • 6 posts
I'm not trying to be ungrateful if thats the way your taking it I'm sorry and didn't mean it. But can you still post the website so I don't have to be such a pain to you all.

That is not a problem. I think Jaclaz was looking for

"I've sorted the problem, it was ***** Thanks lads"

BTW was it FDISK?