Hard disks drop out randomly, can't be accessed.

Phaenius

Back to the original concern, I experience a similar "problem" with my computers. But it is because I have the power management set to put my disks to sleep. Phaenius, how are your power settings configured concerning your drives?

By pointing me to a root of a forum, with basicaly all the threads available ? I came here because I thought there are professionals here that can help me.

@Phaenius

submix8c (or the stupid board software or BOTH :w00t::ph34r:) omitted a final "l" in the posted link:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/226084-event-viewer-open-use-windows-7-a.html

then the as stupid as the one used on MSFN board software on sevenforums, instead of saying 404, wrong link, missing page or the like, silently redirects to the homepage of the forum.

It can happen to everyone but you should be expert enough to understand how the link was posted in perfect good faith and what happened was just a glitch in the matrix.

Rest assured that there are professionals here, quite a few "expert amateurs" and more generally people with a more than average level on knowledge on computer related matters, and all of them can help you, the point is whether they will be willing to. :whistle:

In any case, should you need some chill pills, just ask ;).

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

I opened Event Viewer, but there are so many entries there, I don't know where to look. Just to search for every entry will take forever, not to mention I won't know even if I find something that could prove useful. The only solution I see is to notice such a "blackout", then look in the event viewer for things that happened at that particular timestamp and report them here.

On another note, conducting my own investigation, a hardware problem such as briefly missing power to the disk drives, will or will not be logged by Windows ? Are drives under AHCI able to lose power than resume their activity when back online ? If so, I may have a clue, since it could be a faulty contact along the power cable or the soldering inside the PSU. If not, I should look elsewhere.

I have an external SATA drive that dissapears from time to time, using vista. Usually when I constantly access files, or Vista keeps pretending it is OSX that attempts to catolauge everytthing on the drive. I could guess the OS is doing something to the drive that it was not meant to be used for. Most newer OSes will do all sorts of crazy things to the drive, calling it a better search expreince.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Another thing to to think about, is to never allow your hard drives to sleep, unless they are solid state. I say this because allowing an OS to have control over providing and cutting power to the drive and then restoring power is a bad thing, no matter what situation. Try attempting to load the OS and remove all power saving features????

Edited by ROTS

Phaenius, on 08 Aug 2013 - 12:20 AM, said:

I opened Event Viewer, but there are so many entries there, I don't know where to look. Just to search for every entry will take forever, not to mention I won't know even if I find something that could prove useful. The only solution I see is to notice such a "blackout", then look in the event viewer for things that happened at that particular timestamp and report them here.

Of course, you have to look for event at the time (the computer time) the problem happens.

Phaenius, on 08 Aug 2013 - 12:20 AM, said:

On another note, conducting my own investigation, a hardware problem such as briefly missing power to the disk drives, will or will not be logged by Windows ? Are drives under AHCI able to lose power than resume their activity when back online ? If so, I may have a clue, since it could be a faulty contact along the power cable or the soldering inside the PSU. If not, I should look elsewhere.

No matter what kind of problem, if the hard drive is involved and/or the root cause of the problem, you should see some event most likely from source disk that should point out which hard drive isn't responding at the time the problem occurs.

ROTS, I said above, hard disks are always on, they do not sleep. Not even the SSD. When blackouts appear, hard disks do not disappear, icons are there (my computer, tray, Total Commander, etc.) It's just they don't respond. No error returned. At the end of the blackout they resume activity at current time like nothing happened. For instance, if I am listening a file in Winamp, music stops when buffer empties, then when blackout ends, it resumes like usual. There is no "can't read disk" error or anything. From OS point of view, everything is ok, that's why i am reluctant it will appear in the logs.

Allen2, that's the issue, from Windows point of view, drives ARE responding. It's just it takes insanely ammounts of time.

... that's why i am reluctant it will appear in the logs.

Well, no. :no:

We have some experience on this too: you are reluctant by definition :w00t:, in order to have you perform even the easiest thing and report it takes ages (and several posts) until you are (possibly) convinced that doing it is may be useful.

On each and every suggestion that was ever provided to you on this board you historically had some exception to raise, some generic whining about the complexity of doing it and some attempts to do another thing instead (because this other thing appeared to you better).

There is no point in being reluctant about anything appearing in the logs, it is simple, just §@ç#ing look into them and see if there is anything or not.

Since by now two days have passed since you were asked to check the logs and told how to do that in extreme detail,it must be not that frequent an issue.

Or maybe since till now only the usual "oh my, it is so difficult" AND the "I don't think it will be useful" have been duly expressed and recorded, what is missing is the "what if, instead of checking the events logs, I would run xy?" step.

How about making some proposal, so that I will be able to explain you how that idea (though respectable) is not something I consider useful and can shout at you "just check the §@ç#ing events logs and report"? :whistle:

jaclaz

I don't know why all of you are so mean. It didn't happened since yesterday. I can't force those things. They happen on their own.

I am no reluctant by definition. I followed the advice with the cleaning spray, with the testing of sound card, I spent like 6 euros on it and it did nothing (like I suspected). I followed the advice in unbricking the hard disks, it worked, I don't follow you. I am filtering the advices I get and follow the intelligent and plausible ones, dropping the others. I AM waiting for a blackout to happen.

I don't know why all of you are so mean. It didn't happened since yesterday. I can't force those things. They happen on their own.

Yep :), thats the idea of intermittent problems (which are the most difficult to catch).

But we are not at all "mean" (or at least "meaner" than usual), really it does seem that every time any of us (BTW in attempting to help you with a problem you had actually asked help about) tries giving you a suggestion (rest assured in perfect good-faith) it becomes a several posts confrontation.

I am not saying that we should be trusted on our word, but - as long as the suggestion does not involve a dangerous action, something illegal, or something very costly, you could try accepting it at it's face value.

I am no reluctant by definition. I followed the advice with the cleaning spray, with the testing of sound card, I spent like 6 euros on it and it did nothing (like I suspected). I followed the advice in unbricking the hard disks, it worked, I don't follow you. I am filtering the advices I get and follow the intelligent and plausible ones, dropping the others. I AM waiting for a blackout to happen.

Quite frankly, whining about the Euro 6,00 that you spent in order to follow one of my suggestions (BTW to buy a "general use" kind of product that is useful in any household, besides specifically in the one of an electric/electronic/audio enthusiast AND that you used successfully on your hard disk) is humiliating :(.

BTW this was announced:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/159009-capped-clipped-whatever-sound-with-audigy-sound-card/page-8#entry1027827

roughly one month after it was suggested:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/128807-the-solution-for-seagate-720011-hdds/?p=1025495

Besides the generic whining attitude, the reluctance or resistance (and what not) you might want to appreciate how your plan of "filtering the advices I get and follow the intelligent and plausible ones, dropping the others" completely failed. :whistle:

I nonetheless managed to trick you into spending Euro 6.00 for a product and perform a series of action that led NOT to a solution by cleverly bypassing your "filters" alright :).

In the occasion I also failed :w00t:, as my original evil plan was to make you spend some Euro 22.00 (+P&H) in a complete set of three products.

On the other hand, you used just one product instead of three, and maybe that means that you didn't followed my suggestion but a free re-interpretation of it, this may not be enough to prove that the original suggestion was wrong (and anyway it worked for the hard disk).

Mind you, it's OK, and the general chitchat during the wait in the process (suggest, find resistance, workaround reluctance, convince, have the test performed) has been great fun.

jaclaz

OK, another mean and mocking post... I don't think I deserve this. I will wait for a blackout to appear and look for the logs and interpret them as much as I can. Meanwhile, you can throw stones, bully, whatever, I don't care. I only know I came here in good faith and didn't want to fight anyone. And that's enough for me.

Btw, not the issue, but 6 euros might mean pocket change for you, but situation isn't the same all over the world (not even in Europe). I wouldn't mind if it had some chance in succeeding, but I knew the chances of doing anything good were close (and I mean VERY close) to zero. Still, I pleased you all and bought the cleaning spray. Apart from stinking the room (they could have put some flowers scent in it **** it), it did nothing. As expected.

Edited by Phaenius