Force list view in the Open-Save dialogue possible?

caps_buster

A the left, major part of the image, is shown up the Open - Save dialogue that show the cursed Icons by default in Win XP SP 1.0a... I do wonder, if I can modify the comdlg32.dll somehow (or registry?) to FORCE the Open-Save dialogue to open always default with the list view, as shown in the right part of the image:

open_save_dialog_default_pctun.jpg

I tried hard searching on Google for the comdlg32.dll internals, but did not found anything usefull. I think that it will be something in the dialogue no. 1547 (when one have disabled the places bar, witch places it will be the no. 1552) in comdlg32.dll file:

1547 DIALOGEX 0, 0, 537, 334STYLE DS_MODALFRAME | DS_CONTEXTHELP | WS_POPUP | WS_VISIBLE | WS_CLIPCHILDREN | WS_CAPTION | WS_SYSMENUCAPTION "Otevřít"LANGUAGE LANG_CZECH, 0x1FONT 8, "MS Shell Dlg"{   CONTROL "Oblast &hledání:", 1091, STATIC, SS_LEFT | SS_NOTIFY | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_GROUP, 3, 4, 49, 8   CONTROL "", 1137, COMBOBOX, CBS_DROPDOWNLIST | CBS_OWNERDRAWFIXED | CBS_HASSTRINGS | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_VSCROLL | WS_TABSTOP, 53, 1, 149, 300   CONTROL "", 1088, STATIC, SS_LEFT | WS_CHILD, 211, 1, 88, 16   CONTROL "", 1120, LISTBOX, LBS_NOTIFY | LBS_NOINTEGRALHEIGHT | LBS_MULTICOLUMN | WS_CHILD | WS_BORDER | WS_HSCROLL, 1, 18, 535, 284

But all these dropdown lists show only 4 numbers, witch is basically their position and size... Not what is pre-selected by them.

So, maybe I have to edit the dialog this way?

dialog_edit_comdlg32_dll.png

I don't know, but any ideas are more that wellcome! Thanks!

Edited by caps_buster

My windows crashed and are unable to boot after I used this patcher. I won't recommend ANYONE use it. Back to dos, put the old original file back and Win XP SP 1.0a are kicking fine again. Ufff!

Bad idea!

Sorry, I was wishing it to work, but it does NOT work :( Still no idea what to change in the comdlg32.dll file... I'm willing to do ANYTHING to get the normal view into the dialogs! ResHacker or binary hacking - whatever it takes! It worked just fine in Windows 2000... why M$ had to screw it up?!

Edited by caps_buster

My windows crashed and are unable to boot after I used this patcher. I won't recommend ANYONE use it. Back to dos, put the old original file back and Win XP SP 1.0a are kicking fine again. Ufff!

Bad idea!

Sorry, I was wishing it to work, but it does NOT work :( Still no idea what to change in the comdlg32.dll file... I'm willing to do ANYTHING to get the normal view into the dialogs! ResHacker or binary hacking - whatever it takes! It worked just fine in Windows 2000... why M$ had to screw it up?!

Not really, it does not work on your specific machine and/or OS, which is another thing.

Why do I have this "deja-vu" feeling? :unsure:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/162523-winxp-sp10a-czech-setupapidll-hack/

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/162427-editing-setupapidll-file-win2k-sp4-czech/

The suggestion was to study the tool, and this is normally done (JFYI):

• in a VM (and NOT on your "main" system)
  • using a more common version of Windows, possibly an "untouched" base VM image, like the ones you can get from MS for testing purposes

BTW it seems that the SP 1.0a Czech version of XP, as well at the Czech Version of Windows 2000 and more losely *anything* you run is not compatible with what the rest of the world uses successfully, while 2 out of 2 is ALREADY a preoccupying 100% of failure, 3 out of 3 is 50% worse than that.... :whistle:

The idea (and suggestion) was (and still is) a perfectly good one :yes:, your practical implementation of it maybe not so good :no:.

jaclaz

• 9 months later...

Okay, since the cursed WOT forced me to use WinXP SP3 (I hate them), then I tried the tool once again and... guess what! It worked perfectly, but only to specify the height of the open/save dialoque window. And that it is. But at least it does work now, so even in Czech WinXP SP3 it can work:

http://dfiles.eu/files/mu0b9iyw8 - https://www.oboom.com/WAISV6TM - http://www.mediafire.com/?icqihmdo5wcym6w - http://rapidgator.net/file/25264a86ff921bf5ee3e963c0a0e14bc/FileOpenPatcher.zip.html

God forbid to use that tool on WinXP SP1.0a as I did. It does NOT work and it WILL crash the app when it try to use it...  Still, it does not do as what I can achieve on Win2k SP4 - enlarge the size as I see fit in horizontal way too...! (and also I want the list view as default, not the details view as default... list = more files are visible :) )

I would like to get something like that:

wanted_file_open_save_dialoque.jpg

Instead of this:

patched_file_open_save_dialoque.jpg

Sadly the autor seems to be gone: You message for <elmne@gmx.de> from 2014/06/06 could not be delivered.

Hi mate!

Thanks a bunch for the FileOpenPatcher tool. In Win2k SP4 czech I just used the ResourceHacker
to modify the size as I see fit. On WinXP SP1.0a czech your tool fail to produce usable file and app
hang when try to use it.
On WinXP SP3 czech it does work just fine! Thanks!

Are there way to patch the horizontal size too? I would like to use not only the Details view but the
List view of files (more files can fit) and enlarge the size to the sides too. As demonstrated on screenshot.

Could that be done, please?

Thanks for consideration!

Edited by caps_buster

Well, now that you have it working, maybe you can look at what it actually does, by comparing the comdlg32.dll "before" and "after" (which was the original idea).

See you in 9 months time.  :hello:

jaclaz