Aero Glass for Win8.1 RTM RC3

Offtopic

I would go with the new Samsung 840 EVO (540/520 MB/s) instead of the OCZ Vector (550/530 MB/s) for RAID (although I myself have OCZs) . They are much cheaper and the performance is almost similar :-)

And they have 1TB SSDs now too, which cost only a bit more than the OCZ 480GB Vector for more than double space

Edited by paul70

iv tried that and here is a screenshot of what I got after reboot:

cmd window with mostly file not found error and then message window

"Your DWM is incompatible with Aero Glass"

"retry symbols downloading?"

all i did is downloading the 7z, extract the dir to c:\ , and fired up regedit to change the 3 values mentioned

Edited by energydream2007

iv tried that and here is a screenshot of what I got after reboot:

cmd window with mostly file not found error and then message window

"Your DWM is incompatible with Aero Glass"

"retry symbols downloading?"

all i did is downloading the 7z, extract the dir to c:\ , and fired up regedit to change the 3 values mentioned

Yes, same... Only the first "Prototype"-Version build a Glass-Effect.

dddc9jldzso6b_thumb.jpg

Edited by goldi

@energydream2007 and goldi

if you didn't donate, you will have to download the correct version of MS Symbols manually. For donators, Aero Glass will download the necessary symbols automatically from the MS Server.

If you didn't donate, you can click on "Retry" ("Wiederholden") button as often as you want, it will not work because if Aero Glass doesn't find the license.key file in the folder, it will not download the files.

Edited by paul70

I was trying to quote paul70 above, but I can't get a quote nor paste text with Internet Explorer 11. This forum simply isn't usable as it is. To the forum administrators: IE11 is reality; you need to deal with it, and no, I won't let you run your ActiveX on my system.

Paul70, the only reason I would stick with OCZ is that they've clearly kept RAID operation in their minds while designing their SSD internal controllers. I've had absolutely zero glitches with a hard-used RAID array of their SSDs for 19 months. That said, I realize that Sandforce was the primary design influence behind the drives I have, vs. OCZ's own developers for their current Vector models, so I'm not sure my loyalty applies. Perhaps you're right, perhaps past experience doesn't apply.

On topic: BigMuscle, does the current (or proposed) implementation of multi-monitor support in Aero Glass for Win8 account for the possibility that different monitors may not have the same dimensions (this may be related to the "rotated monitor" issues having been discussed)? I presently have two matching monitors, but if I were to add a third one it would not be the same size, and I'm just wondering whether I should hope for that to be covered properly by your product. Thanks.

-Noel

On topic: BigMuscle, does the current (or proposed) implementation of multi-monitor support in Aero Glass for Win8 account for the possibility that different monitors may not have the same dimensions (this may be related to the "rotated monitor" issues having been discussed)? I presently have two matching monitors, but if I were to add a third one it would not be the same size, and I'm just wondering whether I should hope for that to be covered properly by your product. Thanks.

-Noel

No, the different monitor sizes were not the issue, but a problem with the transformation on rotated monitors (independently if they have same size or not, meaning, use same resolution or not). I said "were" because bigmuscle fixed it already on a test version he asked me to test. Only the blur is still not working on the 2nd screen, but I think he also fixed that too or found the issue :-)

See my test on my dual-monitor (1920x1080 (std main) + 1200x1600 (rotated 2nd screen)): http://abload.de/img/unbenannt-1cud8k.jpg

PS: IE? What is that? Something to eat? :whistle::sneaky:

Edited by paul70

Thank you :w00t: it looks like its working. but the CMD window of dwm is not closing on its own and if i try to close the screen is blinking and looks like dwm restarted, what to do?

also there is a watermark, wonder if there is any way to hide it

Edited by energydream2007

Minimize the DWM window, and ignore the watermark. This is a beta version and these things have a legitimate reason for being there.

IE is the sound one makes when trying to use Internet Explorer on this forum. ;)

-Noel

AERO GLASS for Win8.1 Beta 4

Here is Beta 4 which contains a lot of internal changes, so I hope I didn't break anything.

* HKCU atlas loading fix

* multi-displays and rotated displays fixes

* optimization: do not inflate dirty regions and do not use glass safety zone when rendered region does not contain glass

* glow bitmap is read from system theme (or custom atlas if used), however, only horizontal sizing margins are respected due to the fact how Win8.1 deals with window caption (it seems to be a bug in DWM itself); vertical margins are always zero and glow bitmap is stretch over whole caption height

* because there is no appropriate theme part to be used for reflection bitmap (aero peek background is not suitable), the reflection bitmap is read from PNG file specified in registry HKCU(or HKLM)\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM:CustomThemeReflection (SZ_STRING)

* renamed registry settings CustomThemeResource to CustomThemeAtlas

You still need to manually download symbols for udwm.dll, dwmcore.dll and dwm.exe else it won't work.

Edited by bigmuscle

wow that version crashes hard, creates a 70MB minidump file and logs me out :/ I replaced the files and rebooted, after logging in i switched the loadappinitdlls setting to 1 and killed dwm.exe, then the whole screen went black and just mouse cursor was sometimes visible, it looked busy with something and then it kicked me out. I tried it 2 times, same result. Want the huge dump also? From the log I can see like your aeroglass has started like ~30 times in a row without any errors...