Aero Glass for Win8.1 RTM RC3

I know that this isn’t the best place to ask, but maybe someone will know what to do, because my problem is related to Windows skinning too.

Look at the screenshot (pay attention at names of groups being behind the tiles): z4hi.png

So here’s the glitch. This happens when I use any custom VS (only 1 custom VS doesn’t do this: http://fav.me/d6uewnk). Maybe someone is getting the same problem too? Maybe most of you use StartIsBack and it fixes this (likes it does with Jumplists), so you didn’t even notice?

This isn’t caused by Aero Glass.

Edited by MainDeJustice

I'm using IE11. I choose to use IE because of its security model and version 11 because that's what came with Windows 8.1. People dis IE, but it has its merits. I haven't run across the option to drop down to IE10 on Windows 8.1, though I'm not saying it's not possible. But I don't have a lot of reason to do so; I'm on a lot of forums and this is the only one I can't paste text into. Perhaps the folks that run this forum are doing it as a protest against Microsoft or something.

But to keep on-topic here, I just wanted to mention to BigMuscle that after 3 days straight running with Catalyst 13.12 drivers I finally did see a DWM self-restart. As before, it's completely harmless (happening when the system is left idle and monitors in screen save power down). It leaves nothing unexpected in the debug.log. Once AGForW8 is released without the console window I'll never notice it happening.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

NoelC: IE has compatibility modes for the past versions. Press F12 and choose emulation. If it works in a native IE 10, it should also work in the emulated IE 10 mode.

Edited by Hancoque

Hi everybody! :)

First of all, thanks to bigmuscle for the great job, no Aero was one of the reasons that were making me postpone the switch to Windows 8.

I have problems running the Windows 8.1 RC2 version (x64). I unzipped the files, ran install.bat as administrator and the task was created and started succesfully.

The problem is that even when the task is running, nothing happens at all. I see the aerohost.exe process running, but no glass effect at all. Rebooting didn't help. Deleting and re-creating the task from the scheduler didn't help either. Manually running aerohost.exe also didn't. Finally, using the old unsupported LoadAppInit method didn't work either. In all of these cases I could see the process running (except with LoadAppInit of course), but no effect at all.

The log file just says:

[2013-12-24 16:49:32][0x1210:0x1214] Installing DWM hook...[2013-12-24 16:49:32][0x1210:0x1214] Module: C:\Users\Antitoon\Downloads\Berlios\dwmglass.dll

(repeated multiple times for all the attempts I made, of course)

Any clue?

Thanks to whom will help :P

Small X-Mas present to any fair donator. If you already reached your key limit, you can generate 3 additional keys for your need from 24.12. to 26.12.

Thank you very much for all you've done and have a very good Xmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year.

Thanks for the additional keys, also.

Hi everyone,

I just installed RC2 and did as much reading as i could about the changes ....
I mostly understand BM made the choice for a clean solution and focus only on bluring stuff the right ways.

But because we loose the custom theme features, how you guys would advise me to get back something looking like Seven, specialy borders minimize restore and close buttons ... and maybe shadow ?

UXStyle + Theme ? ( anyone know a good theme url btw ? :-) )

In case you feel you can make do with just replacement theme atlas graphics, BigMuscle has published at least one theme atlas file on his download page. That doesn't require anything more than putting a file in a folder and setting up a registry key. It's what I use. This screen was grabbed with the RC0 version, but it looks exactly the same now.

AGW81RC0ScreenGrab.png

-Noel

I have one request for the final release. Currently it's possible to use different text glow modes. Mode 3 applies a native glow effect instead of using bitmap graphics. Right now it's only possible to make use of this mode if the theme provides the proper settings (size, intensity and color). That makes it impossible to use this glow mode without modifying the theme and thus making it necessary to disable theme signature checking as well. Therefore it would be great if we could also modify the settings for this glow mode via Aero Glass. That way I could also use the Release Preview theme without modification. The changes that are necessary in Windows 8.1 to fix two small theme issues (that weren't there in Windows 8.0) could then all be accomplished by Aero Glass (theme atlas and glow intensity).

It's possible to make atlas from the theme? And how?

By extracting the 1st image from STREAM folder from .MSSTYLES of VS you’re using now.

Edited by MainDeJustice