Aero Glass for Win8.1 RTM RC3

Maybe you really could add an option for those who want to load custom themes.

With a "at your own risk" warning of course.

Many of us had no problems at all with this feature.

Til then, I´ll stick with release candidate 1.

Edited by hfb

I've been running the modified CP theme lately you made hfb.. with the black RTM min/maximise buttons.

There are some minor detail issues, but I really like it. Inactive windows look really nice... I'm not a huge fan of the two-tone look in the active window... but its still nice.

You did attempt to make a version for me to remove that... which is totally nearly perfect... except it needs some tweaking... there are alignment issues.

The errors are more apparent if you run magnified state... my media center runs at 125%, you should try it and look closely and some of the windows boundaries there are tiny flaws.

I'm not trying to be critical, just keeping with the theme of this thread that everything can be improved..... I should learn Photoshop and do it myself.

You guys are awesome and credit given to all who contribute.

Thank you needs to be said more often.... so, Thank You.

Sean.

So edit the registry... did you read the instructions?

edit & update;

After some testing and a few reboots, we have lost taskbar blur with ClassicShell v4.0.2 & RC2.... But it still has transparency..yay..... and it is nice, in a fresh way. (It is much cleaner without the blur effect, I am actually pleased with the new look)

As I know, ClassicShell has an option which can bring the taskbar blur back. I just tested and it works but I think they do not disable accent so taskbar will be double-colorized resulting in less transparency.

But, TotalMediaTheatre v6.xxx is still affecting things... BluRay playback still disables Window shadows from the theme when actually 'playing'.

If it is my bug then I will be glad to fix it but unfortunately I have no possibility to reproduce it so I am not able to fix it. Are you sure that it does not happen when Aero Glass is not running?

Top notch job as always, bigmuscle! You managed to make that major change in how Aero Glass is loaded, and everything so far works perfectly. One quick question for anyone to answer - my donation.key file will still keep this running, right? I read something on glass8.berlios.de that said no matter how much I donate it won't get rid of the time limit.

I just added to the statement to my homepage just to inform users who still around send me e-mails such as "Hey, I donated 1 euro but debug log still appears" that "you cannot live in the house which is under development regardless how much money you pay for the living".

Anyhow, please do pace yourself on these RCs. Didn't expect such a big change in the RC stage. If you're changing so much up, put in a few more at least just to ensure no bugs hit stable.

In reality, this change is not so big, because it has been present in Aero Glass library since the beginning and it was already working in old loader in Windows 8. I just fixed some small bugs and released install.bat script to public. Edited by bigmuscle

I think the update is a good thing. Ok so some people depended on features that are no longer being supported, but, they would not have been supported with the new method of installing anyway.

However, something I have noticed.

I use SIB for the start menu, and when I do not select "Disable Taskbar Transparancy", the taskbar is transparent, but not blurred.

When I enable it, the taskbar is not transparent (as labelled) except for whatever is inside a window. It does not show desktop images or Icons, but it does show the contents of any window that is behind it, and thost contents are blurred.

Ideally, it would be nice if I could have things blurred while not selecting "Disable Taskbar Transparancy".

The "Disable Taskbar Transparancy" label is a bit inconsistent with DWM API description. If you want any window (not window frame!) to be blurred you must call DwmEnableBlurBehindWindow with fEnable = TRUE, there is no other way to achieve it. The main problem is that documentation does not mention that enabling blur in Win8 results in fully opaque window - which is the reason why most of the software has label "disable transparency".

I use SIB for the start menu, and when I do not select "Disable Taskbar Transparancy", the taskbar is transparent, but not blurred.

When I enable it, the taskbar is not transparent (as labelled) except for whatever is inside a window. It does not show desktop images or Icons, but it does show the contents of any window that is behind it, and thost contents are blurred.

Wow, I didn't realise that the taskbar is actually transparent (and blurred) when having taskbar translucency disabled in StartIsBack+. I just set the opacity too high to really notice it. I already disabled start menu translucency as I didn't want the start menu to be too transparent. I found it just right how Aero Glass changed it. Now I must say the same about the taskbar handling. Why don't you just disable translucency in StartIsBack+ and let Aero Glass do its job? I would argue that the translucency options in StartIsBack+ are more for people who don't use Aero Glass.

post-381566-0-58359300-1387204495_thumb.

Edited by Hancoque

As I know, ClassicShell has an option which can bring the taskbar blur back. I just tested and it works but I think they do not disable accent so taskbar will be double-colorized resulting in less transparency.

Exactly right. But I think once you've settled on the final functionality of Aero Glass for Win 8.1, Ivo Beltchev might be willing to add some tweaks to ClassicShell in order to provide better performance with your product. Together they make a dynamite pair of usability enhancements!!

I have to say, the transparent and non-blurred Taskbar is starting to grow on me... Perhaps I'm becoming infected with whatever brain parasites the Microsoft people who "designed" the Windows 8 UI have... :blink:

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

bigmuscle, what is the proper way to uninstall at this time?

From looking at install.bat, I gather it’s:

1. Delete the Aero Glass task from the task scheduler

2. Kill aerohost and restart dwm (or just reboot)

Is that right?

I would like to know how to get back my original colors in the control panel.

All I have is the slider.

Can someone please make a regedit to fix it.

Thanks

Nevermind, I just had to read the swatches reg and use regedit to delete the control panel.

Edited by Dreamweaver01