Aero Glass for Win8.1 RTM RC3

Please read this entire thread (yes, I realize it's long, but I'll bet you can get through it). I'm also betting you'll run across the answer and get the beta software installed and working.

If that seems like too much work, or you're not really interested in helping with the testing, maybe just waiting for the release would be a good idea... Keep in mind we've already seen several release candidates.

-Noel

Sorry Noel, but there are more than 700 answers ... I can't read all of these! D:

Edited by valerio65

Please anyone can help me? :(

I followed the second point, but nothing happened ... what I've to do??

http://glass8.berlios.de/guide.html

http://glass8.berlios.de/win81.html > you still need to manually download symbols for udwm.dll, dwmcore.dll and dwm.exe else it won't work .

These need to go in to a folder called symbols in your AeroGlass folder. For more info, search the thread, as NoelC suggests. If you donate, Aero Glass will download them automatically.

Edited by DrStrange

where can I find dwm.pdb & dwmcore.pdb & uDWM.pdb ?

sorry I'm not ace2 :P

you will get them once you run symbols.cmd and make sure your computer connect to internet and have Windows SDK for Windows 8.1 installed on your computer

if you use 32-bit OS, change "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Debuggers\x64" to "C:\Program Files\Windows Kits\8.1\Debuggers\x86"

good luck :)

Edited by rocky

where can I find dwm.pdb & dwmcore.pdb & uDWM.pdb ?

sorry I'm not ace2 :P

you will get them once you run symbols.cmd and make sure your computer connect to internet and have Windows SDK for Windows 8.1 installed on your computer

if you use 32-bit OS, change "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Debuggers\x64" to "C:\Program Files\Windows Kits\8.1\Debuggers\x86"

good luck :)

ok i restarted and now i've got the trasparency :D but the dwm console remains opened in my desktop...

ok i restarted and now i've got the trasparency :D but the dwm console remains opened in my desktop...

as it's still RC, it's recommended to keep it open or just minimize it

Edited by rocky

AERO GLASS for Win8.1 Release Candidate 2

We are getting closer and closer to release so here is another build to test. This build makes some things to work in different way, because it does not use AppInit_DLLs registry value to load my library into memory. This requires also some other significant changes:

* simply unpack to your folder and execute install.bat with admin privileges, it will inform you with success or error message

* although you can still use AppInit_DLLs registry value to load this library, the method won't be supported anymore and library won't be tested for this functionality

With these changes, some functionality has been removed, because it cannot work - especially uxtheme.dll and explorer.exe hooks:

* bypass theme signature feature has been removed - WARNING: if you currently use unsigned theme, your system may become unbootable so restore default Windows theme at first

* taskbar won't be blurred anymore unless you use some 3rd party tweak to restore this effect (e.g. StartIsBack)

* custom swatches are not loaded and colorization control panel will fail to load if you have custom swatches applied in the registry

* all of this removed functionality may be restored in separate libraries in the future but they won't be maintained in DWMGlass.dll anymore, because they are out of scope of DWM hooking.

Some other important changes:

* this version contains hardcoded default patterns for DWM functions so you don't need DWMCORE.PDB and UDWM.PDB files unless any future Windows update changes the patterns. However, Aero Glass will work in limited mode when DWM.PDB is not present because it is needed to correctly load user settings from registry. Limited mode means that all settings are in their default values and you cannot control them in any way.

* fixed small blur glitch

Nice update, You must be joking, more like a nice downgrade. :puke:

No bypass theme signature
No taskbar blur
No custom swatches

fixed small blur glitch, and removed taskbar blur, And who knows what else has been removed. :crazy:

Edited by ace2

No taskbar blur

No custom swatches

fixed small blur glitch and removed taskbar blur.

Taskbar blurring still works with SIB. You can still use UxStyle for signature bypassing, and I don't know about you but custom swatches never worked for me and only removed the ones that were already there causing the control panel to be empty.

No taskbar blur

No custom swatches

Taskbar blurring still works with SIB. You can still use UxStyle for signature bypassing, and I don't know about you but custom swatches never worked for me and only removed the ones that were already there causing the control panel to be empty.

So we need SIB & UxStyle & aerohost.exe & dwm console open & watermark NOW, just to get DWMGlass.dll to work same as before. :o

No Thanks :thumbdown

Edited by ace2

No taskbar blur

No custom swatches

So we need SIB & UxStyle & aerohost.exe & dwm console open & watermark NOW, just to get DWMGlass.dll to work same as before. :o

No Thanks :thumbdown

Ok, then don't use it :)

8.1 x64 Pro here. Tried RC2 and RC1. Neither work. I donated a moment ago but that's irrelevant.

Installed Debugging Tools and got my symbols. Copied them into the directory of course.

Debug.log says:

[2013-12-14 15:16:32][Thread 0xB48] Hook (USER32.dll!CreateWindowExW from shell32.dll) installed[2013-12-14 15:16:32][Thread 0xB48] Hook (USER32.dll!SetWindowCompositionAttribute from explorer.exe) installed[2013-12-14 15:16:32][Thread 0xB48] Hook (dwmapi.dll!DwmEnableBlurBehindWindow from explorer.exe) installed[2013-12-14 15:16:32][Thread 0xB48] Hook (USER32.dll!LoadImageW from themecpl.dll) installed

aerohost.exe is running but there's no command dialog or watermark.