Aero Glass for Win8.1 RTM RC3

I ran Media Player last night for an hour or so after letting the system go dark. No DWM reset. Of course, just that one sample isn't sufficient to know for sure.

That said, I'm more and more liking the theory that having the Pandora.com site playing music while the monitors are off is involved in triggering the restart.

-Noel

It is really weird that nothing more is logged, because all my code is called from here:

HRESULT hRes = _CDrawingContext_DrawVisualTree(...);if (hRes != S_OK)   debugTrace("CDrawingContext::DrawVisualTree failed 0x%X\n", hRes);

NoelC, have you looked at maybe something relating to your video card? The reason I bring it up is because my work video card has problems running aero. It actually runs aero just fine, but things crash when a screensaver comes on or a display goes to sleep. So on this particular computer, I can't use Aero.

My video card (ATI Radeon HD 7850) and display driver (Catalyst 13.9) seem fine in general terms, though you're quite right - it's possible the particular combination of Adobe Flash (Pandora.com) and my display setup could be at issue. This combo works perfectly for everything else, including such things as Photoshop 3D editing. It does Aero and all the various things I need to do that require GPU acceleration (including run my own software) quite nicely. Before a reboot yesterday it ran flawlessly for 17 days straight - except for the dwm restarts I reported.

I paid attention and closed Pandora before allowing the screens to go off last night and all day today and so far there's been no DWM restarts. I think I'm onto something here.

Chances seem good that DWM will restart even without BigMuscle's software on the job. I'll try some runs specifically without Aero Glass but with Pandora playing.

-Noel

Not sure if because of this program or other problems, but when I was upgrading my NVIDIA drivers from 331.65 to 331.82 (Graphics card - GeForce GTS 250), at the time when Windows were reconnecting the monitor, my monitor stayed black (mouse cursor was seen). I waited for several minutes and then restarted the PC (because the screen were still black). After restart newest drivers were installed and normal screen was showing up.

Edited by MainDeJustice

Aero Glass RC1 worked for me on a fresh install of Win8.1 RTM. But the first time I went to Windows Update and installed updates and rebooted, it broke - dwmcore.pdb is mismatched and so was udwm.pdb. It only accepted dwm.pdb.

do you have a key for it? if you do, just delete the symbols and restart it, it will download the newer ones that you need

Thanks. I didn't have a key but have since donated and everything works great. With this, start8 with the win7 start button and

xXiNightXx's Aero 8.1 theme, you'd never know you updated from win7!

Flash player is known to cause problems on any OS

That may well be true. With Windows 7 it would stop playing if the system had been running for more than a couple of weeks without a reboot. I always figured that was some kind of resource exhaustion.

Windows 8.1 is pretty new, and every indication is that DWM is restarting on its own - outside BigMuscle's software.

As long as it restarts when the monitors are off I have no problem with it doing so. The windows all look fine, including glass effects, when the monitors wake up which implies BigMuscle's startup code is working okay.

-Noel

FYI, had a DWM restart without Pandora. I can tell by looking in the Security event log and noting a logoff and immediate log back on of an account by the name of DWM-x (where x is a number). It happened at 2:03 am with the monitors dark; Windows Media Player was playing music. BigMuscle, you can stop worrying that it's your software that's doing it.

-Noel

Please read this entire thread (yes, I realize it's long, but I'll bet you can get through it). I'm also betting you'll run across the answer and get the beta software installed and working.

If that seems like too much work, or you're not really interested in helping with the testing, maybe just waiting for the release would be a good idea... Keep in mind we've already seen several release candidates.

-Noel