Aero Glass for Win8.1 RTM RC3

Guys I'm facing a strange problem. I downloaded and run more than once the .cmd command to download symbols, and in the folder I can see the requested files, although this when I try to load DWMGlass it always says that files are missing.

It's strange because I also copied the whole AeroGlass folder from my desktop PC where it's working like a charm... Any idea?

EDIT: Well I just noticed that on my desktop PC (where it works) I have the same error messages... So what's the difference between the two systems? :?

I found on HKLM\.....\Windows some strings and registry entries on my notebook that are not present in my desktop PC. Could it be that ones

I am getting the same error message.

what is the content of the .cmd file to download the content ?

Today I had some serious blackscreen problems again. After waking up in the morning I wanted to access the PC via RDP from my tablet PC. I initially got the normal screen loaded but I couldn't do anything. (Edit: I assume the DWM crash happened exactly at this point.) After trying again, I got a message that the RDP session is busy. So I went to the PC to log on locally, but I couldn't. After entering the lock screen password, the screen was just black with the mouse pointer visible and movable. I had to do a hard reset to get the system working. After that and trying to connect again via RDP, the same thing happened. So I disabled Aero Glass and everything was fine. I have attached the debug log. I noticed two "failed" messages that seem to correspond to the described events.

[2013-12-02 08:36:18][Thread 0x140] Hook CryptVerifySignatureW failed[2013-12-02 08:36:18][Thread 0x140] Hook ReadFile failed...[2013-12-02 08:43:35][Thread 0x13C] Hook CryptVerifySignatureW failed[2013-12-02 08:43:35][Thread 0x13C] Hook ReadFile failed

debug.txt

Edited by Hancoque

As a follow-up, and using the Security Event Log as a check, I have not seen any spontaneous DWM restarts in the time since I stopped Aero Glass for Win 8.1 from running.

BigMuscle, if you have a debug version you'd like me to try privately I'll be happy to do so. Otherwise, let me know what else I can check/provide to you.

I've gone ahead and turned it back on. Running Windows 8.1 without it was a constant reminder of how little Microsoft thinks of its users.

-Noel

Glad to see more bug reporting. Now it can all just be sent to a server until terabytes of error reports use up all the storage and you waste your whole life away on them. /sarcasm

Anyhow, I kind of miss that Windows 7 theme in 8.1. Yeah this is slightly OT, but since I have some old Windows 7 install discs lying around, is there some procedure I could go about to copy some files from it to 8.1 and get the Windows 7 theme fully back? What I miss is the reflection (you know the stripes in the Window border). Any way to easily get those back?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Mike, you should probably read the entire thread on this product, and the several related threads near the top of the MSFN Windows 8 forum. Your questions are all answered here already, many times over.

Yes, there are themes available online for Windows 8.1 that ape Windows 7 and which BigMuscle's product facilitates using, and yes, you can get reflection stripes. MrGRiM has published a very nice graphic for the latter.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Thanks. I'll use the search button. But that part is easy. However, is there a port of the Windows 7 theme anywhere? Using the same reflections? Edit: Apparently I can just copy and paste the old theme resource files from a Windows 7 disk onto my Windows 8 install. I'll figure out how to tweak it with regedit. I've used that thing countless times before. Thanks again. I may need some help, but I think I've got it covered for now. So glad it's that simple to get stuff back to normalcy.

Edit again: FINALLY found the theme after a half hour of Googling.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Edited by MikeRL

Anything else I can do, guys? Is there a really good carbon copy theme? I've seen the themes around here, but I want one as close to Windows 7 as possible. If it doesn't exist, I sure hope someone cooks it up!

Anything else I can do, guys? Is there a really good carbon copy theme? I've seen the themes around here, but I want one as close to Windows 7 as possible. If it doesn't exist, I sure hope someone cooks it up!

Mike this is the one i use

http://mrgrim01.deviantart.com/art/Aero-8-Glow-364494879

Pretty much everyone agrees that the out-of-box Windows 8 desktop experience sucks, but Mike, try not to be so inflexible that you can't get used to some changes with a new OS. Many of us choose themes that are somewhat between what the old and new systems delivered out of the box, with enough of the "old familiar" look and feel to help us over the hump. In my case I've developed a theme atlas so that the big rounded corners are now subtle, almost imperceptible rounded corners, but which still provides drop shadows.

-Noel

Thanks guys... I'll keep searching for a good one. I wonder if it is technically possible to recreate the Windows 7 default theme on 8.1? I like the Consumer Preview theme, and yes I'm flexible, but I have nostalgia for older technology. I already miss 7 and even XP a little, as well as older Ubuntu versions. Looks like I miss the CP theme. Got it here: http://eggi36.deviantart.com/art/Windows-8-Consumer-Preview-Theme-410868376

Definitely agree something is better than nothing... I think I'd loose it without SiB and Aero Glass. But two questions remain - is there a good way to get the theme to be more grey and black despite the wallpaper? I'm not afraid of regedit and I've used it plenty of times before, but I don't know the correct setting to change. It's a guessing game of changing a setting under the DWM key and restarting DWM. I also know Aero Glass can utilize a stripe effect, and I've turned that on, but how would I go about getting the actual stripes from here? Thanks again. In the mean time, I'll search more for it. After some searching I found a post way back on page 8 and downloaded some custom resources to get glow back. But still my only questions left are about how to get some reflection added and how to give the coloration some deeper greys and blacks regardless of the wallpaper.

Edited by MikeRL