Aero Glass for Win8.1 RTM RC3

Such as... Easily restarting DWM if you have a problem or are making experimental changes to settings. Reading out one's computer code. Being reminded that you should not be running this software on a system that needs to be reliable or handle critical data.

If you just can't stand the watermark or dwm.exe window, all you have to do is wait until the product is released. It really is still a beta and is being actively developed. Conditions under which you get to try out the pre-release software are not negotiable and complaining only serves to irritate the developer - do you really think that's a good idea? Everyone knows that whole lots of people are anxious for this product to be released.

No one but BigMuscle can say what he will do in the future, but if the development of this version goes as the prior one did, the license you received after donation will be valid for the released version and you'll be able to run Aero Glass for Windows 8.1 nag-free and watermark-free thereafter.

-Noel

NoelC: error number 0x8898008DL means MILERR_NO_HARDWARE_DEVICE which states "No HW rendering device is available for this operation." so we must search for the reason why this happens - does something in your PC turns your graphic card off? Or something which could generate such error. Unfortunately, it's impossible to track where this error occured.

Reinholder: there seems to be one big thing which you probably don't understand. Software available at http://glass8.berlios.de and all instructions written there are for Windows 8. That's why the website states "Aero Glass for Windows 8". And for this system, the instructions are completely valid. Software for Windows 8.1 has NEVER been released at all!!!

I like my desktop to look clean and uncluttered

Then it is really clever step to install unfinished beta testing version of any software...

People don't realize that this piece of software is very low-level thing which patches memory bytes and which can be very harmful if implemented improperly. It's very easy to say "We know it's beta", but when it accidentally patches wrong memory bytes, will it really be easy to say "I know it was beta and that's why all my data has been lost. It was my fault." ???

Also command window is not there to annoy anyone. It's there for the purpose of testing/debugging and I use it a lot. The sense of all released testing versions is not to give you fully usable tool but to give you a preview of what I'm currently working on. If you don't like it, do not use it.

It's possible the ATI Catalyst driver is capable of powering-down the card during periods of inactivity, I don't know. I do notice the fans seem to reach a lower level of activity when the monitors shut off.

I'm running the ATI Catalyst 13.9 driver suite - the latest released version for Windows 8.1 and ATI Radeon HD 7850 video card. There doesn't seem to be any setting in the Catalyst Control Center for managing power-down states.

However, in the Windows Power Options, there's a master "Turn off the display" setting, which I have set for 3 minutes, and in the Advanced settings a "Turn off display after" setting, which I have also set for 3 minutes. I always thought it was odd that there are two, and have wondered whether they are one and the same, but they're apparently not - it's possible to set the latter to "Never" even though the former is set for 3 minutes. Is it possible the one in Advanced Settings is actually powering-down the video card? I'll experiment to see if I can find out. By the way, the "PCI Express, Link State Power Management" is set to Off.

Could the error be logged because DWM is trying to start back up? Notably this error is not logged every time (a dwm restart happened again since my last post, at 1:14 am, with no Application error logged - http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/ForumPosts/RC0_DWM_Restart_20131130_0114.log).

It seems to be happening more often lately, though interestingly, at most only once during each screen save cycle. In this particular case my system image backup was running, but that started at 1:00 am. There seems to be no pattern or other thing I can find consistently running when it happens.

-Noel

Hi bigmuscle,

only a short feedback saying that the issues with rotated 2nd screen and the blur not working on the 2nd screen are now 100% working in new RC.

It all looks great so far, until now, no issues. Thank you for this release and keep the good work :thumbup

Just wanted to mention that I tried Remote Desktop (RDP, from my iPad no less) and Aero Glass for Win 8.1 worked great.

It turns out the two display power settings do end up being connected (i.e., one and the same), though the way the UI is constructed that's not at all obvious. Typical Microsoft - can't even code a simple settings changing application very well.

-Noel

NoelC: I checked your log and it contains "Message 0x219, wparam = 7, lparam = 0" where 0x219 means WM_DEVICECHANGE and wparam 7 means "A device has been added to or removed from the system.". Would it be possible to confirm that DWM does not restart when Aero Glass is not used?

I'm pretty sure the device messages have to do with the System Image backup unmounting and mounting my external USB drive, and they're not seen with every dwm restart, but yes, I'll be happy to leave Aero Glass for Win 8.1 disabled for the next day or so and see how it goes.

-Noel

NoelC,

I have an AMD Radeon HD6970 card and have no issues with DWM shutting down but I never use the hibernate or sleep functions.

But your issue sounds like similar to what i experienced when the graphics driver crash, I played around with some overclocking and it could put DWM in a werid state but it never "restarted".

Guys I'm facing a strange problem. I downloaded and run more than once the .cmd command to download symbols, and in the folder I can see the requested files, although this when I try to load DWMGlass it always says that files are missing.

It's strange because I also copied the whole AeroGlass folder from my desktop PC where it's working like a charm... Any idea?

EDIT: Well I just noticed that on my desktop PC (where it works) I have the same error messages... So what's the difference between the two systems? :?

I found on HKLM\.....\Windows some strings and registry entries on my notebook that are not present in my desktop PC. Could it be that ones

post-376894-0-34154300-1385887556_thumb.

Edited by blak24

Ok.. Sorry but, what should I do then to get it work?

I also have problems (on my desktop) with some parameters, for example the GlassReflection with a custom PNG file which does not work, or also the RoundRectRadius feature, which gives no changes...