Aero Glass for Win8.1 RTM RC3

Thanks for the Update BM, just a couple of things I have noticed so far.

x9tsvrg6qegdpi8fg.jpg

If you look at the image you can see after windows first starts up and the command window appears the glow on the caption looks really nice, exactly how it is meant to look.

You then see the explorer window loaded after that above it, now for some reason the glow is much stronger like it is ignoring the theme settings or has rendered the glow multiple times.

You then see the command prompt window again after it was minimized and restored and you can now see the glow on that window is doing the same thing.

Edit: "Another thing I noticed is the blur, I have the blur set to your default, so no setting at all, and what I have noticed is the blur amount seems allot stronger then the previous build, I would say too strong, so not sure what you have done to this build but the effects seem to be on overkill."

Just had a look at one of the older builds and I guess the blur looks about the same, so nothing new there, don't know why it just seemed stronger, maybe it's just Windows 8.1

Edited by MrGRiM

MrGRiM: glow effect at windows which are already opened during DWM startup is wrong. Although it may look correct to you, it just uses some random value. The glow effect on Explorer (and Ribbon) windows is rendered by UXTheme (and not by DWM) and it's setting is influenced by your theme. The glow effect which you described as "After restore" is the only one which is correctly rendered by DWM and it looks how your theme atlas looks.

MrGRiM: glow effect at windows which are already opened during DWM startup is wrong. Although it may look correct to you, it just uses some random value. The glow effect on Explorer (and Ribbon) windows is rendered by UXTheme (and not by DWM) and it's setting is influenced by your theme. The glow effect which you described as "After restore" is the only one which is correctly rendered by DWM and it looks how your theme atlas looks.

OK thanks for clearing that up, one thing though, there are settings in the theme for the opacity of the glow image, this opacity can be set for active and inactive windows, I think this is why I thought the glow looked perfect at first, because I think that it's only being set at 100% and ignoring the theme value, it should be set at 80% for active and 60% for inactive windows if it was reading my theme settings.

So is there a way we could have the opacity correctly applied from the theme settings or have you done it this way because the default windows 8 theme has those values set much lower?

I can see the default aero theme values have been set to 50% opacity for active and 20% opacity for inactive, if that's the problem and why you are using a preset value of 100% then maybe you could make this configurable with a registry setting or otherwise let it read the correct theme opacity values.

For what it's worth, I really like being able to easily see the titles of my inactive windows, so if the product is changed to accept the theme settings, could you please also add registry overrides.

Thanks.

-Noel

Did you adjust your theme yet Noel, your screen grab looks different.

I refer to your comment about the glow being too tall. I agree, looks a little odd/thick touching the top&bottom of the title bar on my system.

Yet the image you posted above doesn't, appears perfect.

Thanks guys. Excellent work BM.

Sean.

OK thanks for clearing that up, one thing though, there are settings in the theme for the opacity of the glow image, this opacity can be set for active and inactive windows, I think this is why I thought the glow looked perfect at first, because I think that it's only being set at 100% and ignoring the theme value, it should be set at 80% for active and 60% for inactive windows if it was reading my theme settings.

So is there a way we could have the opacity correctly applied from the theme settings or have you done it this way because the default windows 8 theme has those values set much lower?

I can see the default aero theme values have been set to 50% opacity for active and 20% opacity for inactive, if that's the problem and why you are using a preset value of 100% then maybe you could make this configurable with a registry setting or otherwise let it read the correct theme opacity values.

Actually, I don't know whether OPACITY settings in theme is really intended for glow effect, because I don't see any connection to it there. But on the other side, it's not really usable here, because when glow is currently rendered, only caption text is known and there is no connection to the window (so it's unknown whether it is active or inactive window).

Actually, I don't know whether OPACITY settings in theme is really intended for glow effect, because I don't see any connection to it there. But on the other side, it's not really usable here, because when glow is currently rendered, only caption text is known and there is no connection to the window (so it's unknown whether it is active or inactive window).

Yeah it is meant for it, it works like that in Windows 7 and in Windows 8, 8.1 is the first one to stop working, it's almost as if they did it just to annoy us after finding out you brought back aero glass, here is an example of how it works using the opacity setting.

604dec91z85ie4vfg.jpg

And here is where you set those values, there are also separate values again for maximized windows.

Windows & Caption Buttons > Aero > DWM Window > Frames > Window > Top > Active

Windows & Caption Buttons > Aero > DWM Window > Frames > Window > Top > Inactive

There is also the Colorization Opacity setting there to determine the amount of color will be applied for active and inactive windows.

Edited by MrGRiM

MrGRiM: then it's not hard to read this value. But 50% may be a problem in Win8.1 theme so I will see how it looks like. ColorizationOpacity is already respected if you do not set custom color/blur-balances for inactive colorizations.

As I mentioned before, if you do add sensitivity to the theme settings, please also consider adding specific registry overrides for the glow opacity so it can be controlled separately, outside the theme implementation. I really don't want to lose visibility of the titles of inactive windows (which is where it's most useful), and I'd rather not have to use a special theme to bring it back.

-Noel