Aero Glass for Win8.1 RTM RC3

Not sure it's helpful, but I noticed in my Security log that it happened at exactly 10:19:22 pm (as indicated by a logoff and back on of the DWM-2 account), which doesn't coincide with anything else I have scheduled to run, nor any other events, as far as I can see. That was about an hour and a half after I had left and let the system go into screen save mode (monitors powered-down).

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

I've had the windows go all wonky on me, seems like a "crash" but it never restarts dwm.

All the windows/programs get invisible. If i manage to find the dwm.exe window by alt-tabbing then i can close it and everything goes back to normal.

It's does not happen very often and I can't really reproduce it unfortunately but seems to happen when 3D is involved Direct3D/OpenGL.

Tester123456 the glow effect now comes from within the theme atlas file (that was changed in beta 3 or 4 as I recall). Look to the separate thread on same for some alternative files you can use.

-Noel

Hey BigMuscle, I had a hard crash last night when I was trying to use the Magnifier tool for the first time. I had to hard reset the system by holding in the power button in for 10 seconds.

The Magnifier tool came up initially set to magnify the entire screen, since it was the first time I'd ever used it on this Windows 8.1 install, and it appeared to do that correctly. But when I changed it to "Lens" view, Aero Glass appeared to wig out (screen corruption), then restart to where I saw the DWM window come up again, then the UI was just unresponsive. The mouse was alive but nothing would work, not even Control-Alt-Delete or the Win key.

Here's the log from all day yesterday, though there's probably quite a bit of normal operation messages before the failure.

Looks like a previously unseen message 0x324 might have been the initial trigger.

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/ForumPosts/DebugCrash.log

The system had been running 5-1/2 days prior to this failure.

Note that there are also a whole bunch of "Failed to load reflection file (0)" messages in there, though I don't know if they were part of what led to the crash or not. My suspicion is not, since there are quite a few of what look like normal messages between those and the restart. That could indicate another, different problem brewing.

-Noel

Not that I use the magnifier much, but it's handy once in a blue moon to look at things like font smoothing, etc., and it's good to know you have a handle on the problem and we can look forward to it working in a future version.

Does that issue explain the many, many "[0x43BC] Failed to load reflection file (0)" messages in a row? If not, that might be something you'll want to look into also. FYI, I don't try to load (nor do I want to load) a reflection file. I like the glass areas nice and smooth.

Another bit of observation: Since the crash and reboot last night, I haven't had the DWM window pop up on its own, not even once.

By the way I've scheduled a job that runs every hour and appends a timestamp to your debug.log file. :)

-Noel

The fix for magnifier for just one "if(bUseOcclusion)" :-)

"Failed to load reflection file (0)" is actually not an error, because (0) means "no error", it simply means that file has not been specified and there is nothing to load.

1) it has been written million-times here

2) any experienced betatester should know it, if you don't know it then you should not be using experimental beta version of this software

3) if the answer does not satisfy you then look at point 1)

FYI, after yesterday's reboot and my addition of hourly time stamps appended to the debug log, Aero Glass beta 4 has been ridiculously well-behaved. It's as polished or moreso than anything else in the system.

-Noel

Same here, I would report something if I had something to report, rock solid for me so far, only problem I see is the glow on the caption text, not an issue for me as most of my themes don't use it anyway.