Aero Glass for Win8.1 RTM RC3

Once again - the blur effect is there, those "trails" are actually blur effect rendered on wrong X coordinate.

But what I don't understand is that you say that the test build didn't contain it but your screenshots from the test build contains it:

http://abload.de/img/unbenannt-1cud8k.jpg

http://abload.de/img/unbenannt-1bxiqe.jpg

(it's on both of your screenshots)

What I need to find is why X coordinate is wrong now (the change from test build is that it took -X before) but Y seems correct.

The glow doesn't work as in the previous beta and Aero Glass for Win 8 (.0). By comparison it's squashed vertically using the very same themeatlas.png file that works with the released version. Has the way the background glow field is supposed to be interpreted changed?

However, it can be expanded vertically in the theme atlas file to compensate.

If you say the theme atlas is now being interpreted in the way that it needs to be for the future, then people will have to change their current themeatlas.png files to accommodate the difference. Not a big deal...

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/ForumPosts/Win81/themeatlas.png

WithUpdatedThemeAtlas.png

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

NoelC: it's not the final, it must be tweaked but: it's different from Win8.0 version (that's why I mentioned margins problem), but it is still same as it was in Beta 3 (if you have different result it's because you have different image in atlas.png than it was in glow.bmp - and yes, I checked, your glow.bmp, which you sent here, is different from your atlas).

The most correct way (and most similar to Win8.0) was in Beta2, but it caused misalignment of caption on maximized windows due to the possible bug/limitation in DWM.

Thanks for clarifying. Indeed, I had tried to use the same themeatlas.png that I had originally developed for Win 8, without importing the glow.bmp that I had subsequently developed for Win 8.1.

Since the interpretation is different, folks will now have to be clear about whether their themeatlas.png file is for Aero Glass for Win 8 or Aero Glass for Win 8.1. The one I linked in my post just above is for Win 8.1.

-Noel

Once again - the blur effect is there, those "trails" are actually blur effect rendered on wrong X coordinate.

But what I don't understand is that you say that the test build didn't contain it but your screenshots from the test build contains it:

http://abload.de/img/unbenannt-1cud8k.jpg

http://abload.de/img/unbenannt-1bxiqe.jpg

(it's on both of your screenshots)

What I need to find is why X coordinate is wrong now (the change from test build is that it took -X before) but Y seems correct.

Maybe we are talking about different things and maybe I'm not explaining myself correctly due to my bad english. Sorry about this. I'll try it again.

There are 2 issues happening:

1) Trails drawn by the movement of the object when in the rotated screen

- this issue definitely doesn't happen with the previous test dll but definitely happens with the b4 dll

- with the b4 dll, the trails are ALWAYS attached to the left upper and lower edges of the object and when moving the object to the right. They're NEVER produced when moving the object to the left. Also, the trails immediately stop being drawn (on the non rotated screen) when the moved object partly reaches the non rotated screen. It is enough that a small area of the moved object passes over to the non rotated screen. As soon as a part of the moved object touches the non rotated screen, there are no trails drawn (though, the previously drawn trails remain on the background).

2) What I call "blur": the object (windows) frames are blured. Now, here what happens when I move the window over another object:

- on the non rotated screen, the object (text, whatever) positioned under the blured area and covered by it, is visibly blured, BUT it is not blured if on the rotated screen (same objects only differently placed), meaning the part of the frame that is supposed to be blured is completely transparent when moved to the rotated screen but blured if moved to the non rotated screen which leads me to the conclusion that the blur effect is not working or being applied or how ever you want to call it on the rotated screen.

- THIS issue happens with both builds

Sorry that I cannot explain it better :-(

Edited by paul70

Please read my post again, I added something to it :-)

EDIT:

On my screenshots you can clearly see issue #2: on rotated screen the frames are completely transparent (not blured); by moving the same object over to the non rotated screen, the frames get blured.

Edited by paul70

Everybody is good, today I update computer, win81_x64_beta3 fails, then uninstall just update program (KB2883200) and (KB2884846) to restore the Aero

Edited by Yzöwl
oversized font reduced

Plz check your PM. Sent you the log. The screenshot is similar to the one I previously posted.

No! I don't need screenshot which is similar. I need screenshot which EXACTLY correspond to debug.log so I can check all coordinates, compare them and see what is computed wrong.

EDIT: so, I fixed the problem. If I disable video driver in VMWare, it allows me to rotate display and find the problem :-) The problem was that rotation does not only change screen degree to 90°/270°, but it also change from top-bottom orientation to bottom-top and rendering rectangle where bottom < top simply didn't work.

Edited by bigmuscle

Is it possible to use no glow image (not even read from the theme or theme atlas file) and instead apply the glow as it was applied in beta 3 when no glow.bmp was present?

I wonder: The theme obviously provides values for how glow has to be applied to the captions, otherwise Aero Glass beta 3 without glow.bmp combined with the Release Preview theme wouldn't show the proper glow effect that it shows. Apart from editing the theme, wouldn't it be possible for Aero Glass to change the glow-relevant values of the theme just like it allows to use another atlas file? That way users would no longer have to use crappy glow images.

The attached image shows how proper glow would look.

post-381566-0-29402500-1384289754.png

Edited by Hancoque

Plz check your PM. Sent you the log. The screenshot is similar to the one I previously posted.

No! I don't need screenshot which is similar. I need screenshot which EXACTLY correspond to debug.log so I can check all coordinates, compare them and see what is computed wrong.

EDIT: so, I fixed the problem. If I disable video driver in VMWare, it allows me to rotate display and find the problem :-) The problem was that rotation does not only change screen degree to 90°/270°, but it also change from top-bottom orientation to bottom-top and rendering rectangle where bottom < top simply didn't work.

I knew you would endup finding/fixing the issue :-)

If you want me to test it, just say.

Yet women say men have commitment issues Noel....

I'm using your theme on my daily workstation/home theatre.. very happy with almost everything.

As xpclient says, It takes some third party software.. but it is possible to enjoy NT6.3