Aero Glass for Win8.1 RTM RC3

My current list of reg entries for glass enable... see question in red.

@infinality, Thanks.

snip

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;Enable BM AeroGlass
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows]
"LoadAppInit_DLLs"=dword:00000001
"AppInit_DLLs"="C:\\AeroGlass\\DWMGlass.dll"
"RequireSignedAppInit_DLLs"=dword:00000000

; Enable Custom Theme Signature (I'm not using this)
;[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM]
;"BypassThemeSignature"=dword:00000001

;[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM]
;"BypassThemeSignature"=dword:00000001

;Set simple Atlas Theme & Reflection path into HKLM (new string as of Beta4)
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM]
"CustomThemeAtlas"="C:\\AeroGlass\\themeatlas.png"
"CustomThemeReflection"="C:\\AeroGlass\\reflection.png"

; Enable Glass Reflection (should I use a higher value?)
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM]
"ColorizationGlassReflectionIntensity"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM]
"ColorizationGlassReflectionIntensity"=dword:00000001

Edited by ralcool

with all the issues people are pointing out, i think i'll stick with beta3 for now

For what it's worth, I'm not having any new problems. Just make sure to put an entry in regedit for the reflection file. The one from page 7 looks great if you put a 20px gaussian blur on it.

ok, i took your advice, i now have beta4 working

Thanks, infinality.

@bigmuscle: if the glow thing is broken as this in the dwm itself, shouldn´t we return to the way you did it in beta 3?

Or was something wrong with it?

I'm also still seeing the issue in certain programs (like thunderbird) where half of the frame coloring is messed up.

It's bug in your theme.

One request though, can you make the Custom theme Atlas load only with the default aero theme, the same as it was with the Windows 8 v1.2 glass?

There is no reason to do this. You can have custom atlas even for other themes.

Thanks, infinality.

@bigmuscle: if the glow thing is broken as this in the dwm itself, shouldn´t we return to the way you did it in beta 3?

Or was something wrong with it?

Actually, I never said that it changed somehow, I only said that it's not fully possible to respect theme settings. And it really still works as in previous beta except the bitmap is read from theme (custom atlas) so you can see something different only if your theme/atlas contain image different from glow.bmp. This is how it looks here:

ve7io7.png

ok for MaxDeviceFeatureLevel what hex value do i need to put in to get 0xb100? the instructions on the guide should make that more clear.

There is no such option in Win8.1.

@bigmuscle

did you change something in the transformation in this new b4? It is not working well again on the rotated screen.

- objects are leaving trails when moved on the rotated screen (see screenshot)

http://abload.de/img/unbenannt-1e5smq.jpg

This didn't happen on that test build you sent me previous to b4.

Also, blur is still not working on the rotated screen

The trails are actually wrongly positioned blur effect. It was also present in the test build (it was what I commented on your last screen, but your background was too solid so it was not noticeable). The only difference was that it was mirrored - I fixed the bug but it seems that X coordinate is still invalid. Is it always attached to the edge of screen or to the window edge? Could you hold F11, move with window and then send me debug.log + printscreen?

The trails are actually wrongly positioned blur effect. It was also present in the test build (it was what I commented on your last screen, but your background was too solid so it was not noticeable). The only difference was that it was mirrored - I fixed the bug but it seems that X coordinate is still invalid. Is it always attached to the edge of screen or to the window edge? Could you hold F11, move with window and then send me debug.log + printscreen?

No bigmuscle, I just tested it again...

Test:

- to drag the dwm.exe console window around the rotated screen

Results:

a ) With the dll of your test build: all ok. NO trails at all when moving objects on the rotated screen

b ) With the new B4 dll: lots of trails when moving objects on the rotated screen

You must have changed something in the new build that is affecting it.

As for the blur, I see that it is not working on the rotated screen by looking at the windows frames. If I place a window over another object, these objects are blured on the main screen (in the blured area of the frame) but completely seeable (frame transparent and not blured) on the rotated screen

I'll do the debug screenshot. Give me a second.

Edited by paul70

Plz check your PM. Sent you the log. The screenshot is similar to the one I previously posted.

You definitely must have changed something between those 2 build because I definitely don't get any trails or issues with the test dll.

And, yes the trails are ONLY attached to the LEFT upper and lower edge of the object. There are no trails produced by the object movement coming from the right side of the object.

I also realized that once the trails are there, they flash when I move the mouse on my main screen (and don't do anything else). Just only happened after I used F11. now it doesn't anymore.

EDIT1:

I also see now that the trails are only and always produced by moving the object to the right (horizontally, vertically, diagonal) and always attached to the left upper and lower edge of the object. Never by the movement to the left.

Are these 2 points used for the calculation?

EDIT2:

I also realized that the trails are not produced if a part of the moved object reaches the non rotated screen, but only if the complete object in on the rotated screen.

EDIT3:

The issue is not affected by the display position set in the NVIDIA settings (rotated screen set left or right from the non rotated screen), I just tested. But as I wrote above, the trails immediately stop being produced if the moved object partly reaches the non rotated screen.

I hope you can understand my infos in my terrible english :angel

Edited by paul70