Aero Glass for Win8.1 RTM RC3

Oh, and for what it's worth, you don't need to go through a big production involving the registry to install these files if you already have beta 1...

Just RENAME the old files that are about to be overwritten, then copy the new ones out of BigMuscle's .7z file, then either close the DWM window or log off/on.

-Noel

Actually, I am getting the new dll running. I updated this way (I definitely deleted the old one). Yup, still has the problem. But not complaining - its what the beta is for right? To iron out these things :)

Absolutely. I wish your experience with it was as good as mine, though. It's really making Windows 8.1 a pleasure to use.

I'm keenly interested in the progress of dealing with rotated displays. I'm planning on getting another larger display that has the same number of pixels vertically as my two current displays have horizontally, and the same ppi. Specifically, I'm thinking of turning them up sideways and having them be "ears" to the new, big display. Something like this:

16421896.jpg

-Noel

First possible bug to report from me:

Moving the cursor around causes pops and skips in music playing from Pandora.com, especially when it's moved over glass regions.

Happens with audio being played by Media Player too.

I'm not completely sure it's not a VMware driver issue. More testing is in order.

-Noel

Yeah I noticed that opening a few windows seems to impact performance a fair bit as well, plus not sure if it's glass or my modified system but had a few explorer restarts, no error message, just all windows closed, screen went black and then restarted.

@NoelC

does Aero Glass Beta 2 work with your rotated display configuration? I have almost the same as you but only with 1 rotated DELL placed left from my main ASUS main display and it doesn't work as I reported above.

Although you seem to have surround spanning configuration, I only have exand main display to second display

EDIT:

@bigmuscle

here a few pics/screenshots to demonstrate the issues with beta2 I posted above in #329

- Display position in the room (aero glass working on both displays with below nvidia configuration 1)

http://abload.de/image.php?img=img_06634cx82.jpg

1) 2nd display set to the right of main display and standard non rotated orientation (nvidia settings) -> aero glass works

http://abload.de/image.php?img=2right_non_rotateddulvk.jpg

2) 2nd display set to the right of main display but rotated (nvidia settings) -> black screen

http://abload.de/image.php?img=2right_rotated5fzx5.jpg

3) 2nd display set to the left of main display and non rotated orientation (nvidia settings) -> black screen

http://abload.de/image.php?img=2left_non_rotatedevx8l.jpg

So, unfortunatelly I still cannot use Aero Glass with my hardware configuration

Edited by paul70

paul70: yes, I'm aware that rotated screen can be problem. DWM normally uses transformation matrix which is applied to each rendered region. I currently apply only translation part of the matrix, so any rotation, scaling etc. can end up in incorrect rendering. I guess it is the same reason why different order of multiple displays is the problem too.

Within win 8.1 I use a default system theme with a custom background.

For aeroglass I use Noel´s theme from you downloadpage.

I just tried setting both themes to default, but still no blur...

Tomorrow, when I return home, I will build private test build which will provide more verbose log to find out the problem.

I see your not allowing us to have our own reflection image now, adding our own now stops aero from working.

It is surely a bug which is not intended. However, It's not needed to be fixed because it will be rewritten later to load resource from theme.

paul70: yes, I'm aware that rotated screen can be problem. DWM normally uses transformation matrix which is applied to each rendered region. I currently apply only translation part of the matrix, so any rotation, scaling etc. can end up in incorrect rendering. I guess it is the same reason why different order of multiple displays is the problem too.

Ok. I'm sure you'll find a solution for the problem :-)

@NoelC

does Aero Glass Beta 2 work with your rotated display configuration? I have almost the same as you but only with 1 rotated DELL placed left from my main ASUS main display and it doesn't work as I reported above.

Although you seem to have surround spanning configuration, I only have exand main display to second display

You may have misinterpreted my post. I don't have that setup shown in the picture yet, I just have the two "ear" monitors at the moment, both in landscape orientation (non-rotated). But I'll be getting the big central monitor very soon.

Whether Aero Glass for Win 8+ handles a rotated monitor well will flavor my decision whether to move up from Windows 7 on that system. I hope BigMuscle can find the time to do it.

-Noel

@bigmuscle, I am sooooo happy to see your Current roadmap has plans to build a 32 bit, can't hardly wait for it.

@Noel, I really like your rounded corners, I'd even round a little more.

(I don't care for the squared corners of stock Win8 at all) imho