Aero Glass for Win8.1 RTM RC3

I'd like to report a bug, when I minimize any application, I see a flicker on the taskbar. The taskbar loses its blur and stripes for a moment, sometimes it stays that way till I minimize or maximize any application.

My config: Intel 2nd Gen i3, 8gb RAM, intel HD 3000...

Yep same bug seen here, flickering when opening a new window and taskbar looses blur when you minimize but returns when you move another window over it.

@NoelC

I've been studying your theme that I use all the time.

It has been mentioned before about adding some glow behind the min/maximise buttons to help them not disappear on a dark background.

By comparing the CP/RP themes, there is some missing 'white' backgrounds in perhaps the area circled green that could fix it.

Similar as how the orange circled area appears better by using a gray background. (Also white in CP/RP)

I'm not fond of the white hint at the top of the close icon, circled purple.. more RTM like here would look ace.

Which editor could I use to tweak my own themeatlas ?

Thanks for all the effort guys!

Sean

@NoelC

I've been studying your theme that I use all the time.

It has been mentioned before about adding some glow behind the min/maximise buttons to help them not disappear on a dark background.

By comparing the CP/RP themes, there is some missing 'white' backgrounds in perhaps the area circled green that could fix it.

Similar as how the orange circled area appears better by using a gray background. (Also white in CP/RP)

attachicon.gifNoelC.png

I'm not fond of the white hint at the top of the close icon, circled purple.. more RTM like here would look ace.

Which editor could I use to tweak my own themeatlas ?

Thanks for all the effort guys!

Sean

I use Photoshop to edit my version of the RP theme, you could give it a go if you like.

post-363598-0-81214700-1381208359.png

Hi guys,

I'm having trouble getting the custom theme resource to work. I create a string value under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM and HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM named CustomThemeResource with the contents 'C:\Aero\win8cp.png' but it doesn't seem to work. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Hi guys,

I'm having trouble getting the custom theme resource to work. I create a string value under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM and HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM named CustomThemeResource with the contents 'C:\Aero\win8cp.png' but it doesn't seem to work. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

It's not the same in the BETA for 8.1, he will add that feature back later but for now you need to rename it to ThemeAtlas.png and put it in the AeroGlass folder.

Hi guys,

Thanks

It's not the same in the BETA for 8.1, he will add that feature back later but for now you need to rename it to ThemeAtlas.png and put it in the AeroGlass folder.

Awesome, works now. Cheers for that!

I just use Photoshop as well to manipulate the theme atlas elements.

You have to be careful to manage the transparency correctly. It's not just about color, but how much each element occludes the pixels behind it.

I'm busy with the Windows 8.1 release today, but when I get some time I'll look at the specific issues you've mentioned, ralcool.

-Noel

Sometimes, after having used Remote Desktop and unlocking the computer, it looks like the attached screenshot. Then I just click around on the taskbar until I find the Aero Glass window (judging by its size) and click where the close button is supposed to be. After restarting Aero Glass, everything is back to normal. But without the debugging window, it would be impossible.

post-381566-0-70869300-1382176012_thumb.

Sometimes, after having used Remote Desktop and unlocking the computer, it looks like the attached screenshot. Then I just click around on the taskbar until I find the Aero Glass window (judging by its size) and click where the close button is supposed to be. After restarting Aero Glass, everything is back to normal. But without the debugging window, it would be impossible.

Same problem. When using TeamViewer the desktop goes crazy.

post-380749-0-01283800-1381974408_thumb.

I found some time to review the things you mentioned, Sean. All the features you have identified are by design. My intent is not to make it look like the Windows 8 standard theme but to have a personality of its own. I'm not as allergic to skeuomorphism as Microsoft wants me to be. I happen to LIKE the appearance of depth and texture in my desktop elements, even if subtle.

1. The light hint at the tops of the buttons is to imply the light is coming from the top, and that the button has kind of a "chicklet" shape.

2. Lack of lightness/opacity behind the minimize and maximize buttons is on purpose. I generally prefer dark screen backgrounds and this makes those buttons all but disappear, reducing the visual clutter. We all know they're up there, and hovering over them lights them up in blue.

I know not everyone likes the same things, so I encourage you to edit up a set with the features you like. You may feel free to start with the version I posted; I have no attachment to it - it's free for your (and everyone's) use as you see fit.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

After this update, stopped working Aero Glass for Win8.1 RTM Beta 1. Help please.

debug.log

[0x634] Hook (USER32.dll!CreateWindowExW from shell32.dll) installed[0x634] Hook (USER32.dll!SetWindowCompositionAttribute from explorer.exe) installed[0x634] Hook (dwmapi.dll!DwmEnableBlurBehindWindow from explorer.exe) installed[0x634] Hook (USER32.dll!LoadImageW from themecpl.dll) installed

post-383018-0-20546200-1382205676_thumb.

post-383018-0-01386100-1382205811_thumb.

Nothing to do from us. Latest update to Win8.1 update udwm.dll and dwmcore.dll to new versions and debug symbols for build 9600 are not valid for them. You must get new symbols somewhere...

I think the new file on MSDN (Release Date: 10/7/2013) is:

File Name: en_windows_8_1_symbols_debug_checked_x64_2712568.msi

Languages: English

SHA1: 8270D08104BF39287A6C6238574A31EFD8F8D2B4

Either MSDN subscription or Google or, even better, donate for aeroglass for symbols autodownload and to motivate bigmuscle to release the Beta 2 soon :-)

Edited by paul70